Advice on how to source and install a diesel generator sound

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I am in the process of building a number of modern Welsh Highland Railway coaches in 16 mm scale. One will be a service coach. These in real life have a generator set installed and when in a station the continuous drone of their on board generators are quite distinctive. I would like to replicate this built into the coach, #2010.

Ideally I would like a neat self contained unit (but can be separate compatible components) with the sound file already installed. There used to be something called the "Masterblaster" a 50 mm x 60 mm cylindrical unit, that could be supplied with a suitable looped sound file. But it is a tad too large to be ideal but not out of the question. A unit would need to be compact with a means of storing a looped sound file (to run continuously), say an MP3 player of some sort, small speaker, battery pack/holder and an externally mounted on/off switch and an optional recharge socket. There is no requirement to operate by RC, load additional sounds or make the sound variable speed at different voltages. It would be a stand alone sound effect unit with a fixed operating voltage.

Any ideas how I could achieve this and source the component elements to make a simple dedicated functioning unit if not a complete off the shelf unit ? I have both a Windows 10 PC and Android tablet available to the latest software levels to source/download sound files. Warning - I am a total numpty when it comes to anything like this. And yes I have done a bit of research but cannot be sure of making a correct purchase without some advise. Thanking you all in anticipation. Max

This was something that caught my eye MP3 Re-Recordable Sound Chip Module, 4MB USB Transfer. Model making crafts gifts 5060419151767 | eBay and this is the sort of sound file I'm looking for Diesel Generator How I would go about getting it all to work or if they are compatible I would have no idea.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
what about something like this:

Note the sound samples... what about the grist mill

Note one sound file option is "I'll provide the MP3 file"....

Greg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I remember ge_rik ge_rik wrote an article here and on his garden railway blog on how to use a recordable greetings card player for very cheap sound. I seem to remember you got a battery, sound chip, speaker and switch for a few quid. You could use a magnet in the track at stations to trigger a reed switch to turn the sound on. I tried it myself and it worked quite well. Unfortunately I can't find it but I know it's there.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
An old iPod may be a possibility, you ought to be abke to source one pretty cheep it could even record tye noise for you if you visited tye site of it. Just have that sound clip on repeat ought to work.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ha ha ha ha ha - I've got a sound card that does it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

a diesel sound that can vary the revs by manual adjustment, but won't increase as you turn the power up (well, on Deltang that is) :mask::mask::mask::mask:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
what about something like this:

Note the sound samples... what about the grist mill

Note one sound file option is "I'll provide the MP3 file"....

Greg

Thanks Greg. I was going to give Del a call about some other stuff he does, vinyls and bridge rectifiers, So this gives me one more reason to get in contact with him, Max

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP (sorry for some reason your reply will not copy to my response) That looks a bit like the thing I saw on E Bay, that I posted a link to in my first post. My real concern is how do I download the chosen sound file to it ? OK, I download the sound file (MP 3 file format) to my laptop and save it there but what do I have to do to download it from there to be installed on the chip on the sound card ? USB cable from laptop to micro USB connection into card, but then what ? Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That looks a bit like the thing I saw on E Bay, that I posted a link to in my first post. My real concern is how do I download the chosen sound file to it ? OK, I download the sound file (MP3 file format) to my laptop and save it there but what do I have to do download it from there to the chip on the sound card ? USB cable from laptop to micro USB connection into card, but then what ? Max
Your computer will see the MP3 device as another storage device.. Drag and drop, mainly.

PhilP.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OK, based on what I have seen on the riksrailway blog I have gone ahead and purchased the two products I had found originally, making sure the sound clip is MP3 format and looped . They look to be very similar to what has been done there. Work out about £20 in total. G Scale Graphics product looks interesting but when you look at the extra bits I will need to add to its base price plus shipping and UK taxes, and that it needs a 12v supply, then it gets a bit prohibitive.

If it don't work then all I've lost is the buying price at £20 and the option to redeploy it later in some other application. Thanks for all your inputs, Max.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, based on what I have seen on the riksrailway blog I have gone ahead and purchased the two products I had found originally, making sure the sound clip is MP3 format and looped . They look to be very similar to what has been done there. Work out about £20 in total. G Scale Graphics product looks interesting but when you look at the extra bits I will need to add to its base price plus shipping and UK taxes, and that it needs a 12v supply, then it gets a bit prohibitive.

If it don't work then all I've lost is the buying price at £20 and the option to redeploy it later in some other application. Thanks for all your inputs, Max.
I found that using .WAV files on another MP3 module meant they loop without a pause. If your modules take WAVs it might be worth seeing if it works for them too.

Rik

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I found that using .WAV files on another MP3 module meant they loop without a pause. If your modules take WAVs it might be worth seeing if it works for them too.

Rik

Thanks for the tip Rik. The download has been supplied in both WAV and MP3 formats. Looking at the Ebay seller of the sound device it looks like they are very supportive (it's appears a genuine UK based one). I'll ask them as it does not appear on the spec'. It's not the end of the world if I can't. I'll see how I get on.

This sound effect is "the icing on the cake" for this coach build. Now I just have to find a 16 mm scale model of a small diesel engine to sit over it and fill the compartment for the full effect :) I'll make sure it is turned down low when I run it. It will irritate the hell out of my neighbours, never mind myself, if it is running continuously and "too high in the mix". Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, so I can't sell you my useless sound card, Max :devil::devil::devil::devil:

One careful owner, well possibly two, low mileage ;);)

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, so I can't sell you my useless sound card, Max :devil::devil::devil::devil:

One careful owner, well possibly two, low mileage ;);)

Nope. I still have 3 Sierra 2nd hand sound cards to install I bought form a member of this parish a year ago, never mind this one. :D Max

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OK, I have got the sound file in an MP3 format and the Talking Products MP3 sound module. What I cannot figure out is how to drag and drop the MP3 sound file as per the instructions ,from the desktop where I have saved it, into the sound module. I can see the Sound Module in the devices section of the Settings, under a sub menu in storage, so I assume it must be connected OK. It is shown as USB Drive F. All the relevant information on what should be there (or not so to speak) is what I'd expect to see. But there seems to be no way access it from the desktop where the MP3 sound file resides. The file plays as it should when run on the computer's player app. But I cannot find any way of "dragging and dropping" the file into the sound module. The only option in "File Explorer", which is where the file opens, is to burn to a disc - but I do not want that. I should mention I am running the current version of Windows 10, which probably explains everything.

I must be very stupid if I cannot carry out what was once a very simple task. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong and walk me through the process please. ? Max

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Max, where have you saved the MP3 file to? That is the location required for drag and drop to work.

Guess this is a downloadable file, so is it located in your Downloads Folder?Downloads.PNG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Max, when you open explorer, and see the file on your desk top, in the left hand column expand the F drive, then click on the item and drag to the folder, I fail to understand what the issue is, it should be the same as dragging on to any USB drive.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is I have not done this before total numpty when it come to these things. I have never possessed an MP3 player of any sort till now. Max

Edit - Ah I found the F drive, I didn't scroll down on the side bar in File explorer. DOH !Thank you Jimmy, I'll give it a little go after lunch. Thanks all for the advise.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sucess, thanks for the advice to all.This'll irritate the crap out of fellow 16 mm NGM members at my local area group next year Max

Edit - Just a little tip if you buy a Talking Products MP3 player. There is a small sound file installed that tells you what the device is every time you touch the play button before your installed sound plays on the 2nd touch. To delete it open the drive and you will see a file with a pictogram description, that is this annoying preamble that prefixes every attempt to play (assuming you have only installed one sound file). Delete it, as you would any sound you want to delete as per the instructions. The instructions don't tell you it is there or that it is safe to delete. I just did it and held my breath :)

Last edited: