Advice needed on weathered/rusty metal

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

I'm after a bit of weathering advice for my G scale log cars.
This is my first ever foray into weathering, so please be gentle!

I have several log cars that are grey-primed. They have a lovely level of detail, and I wanted to try and paint them to bring that out.

I've started tackling the plastic-wood. I've brushed a burnt umber acrylic on, followed by a dark enamel wash to give a bit of depth. Once that's dried, I'm intending to try dry brush it with a lighter tamiya mud brown, to pick out the highlights.

Its not going to win any prizes, but it's going better than I'd expected for my first attempt.

My question now is the best approach for the plastic 'metalwork' the trucks, couplings, plates and bolts. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable effect/result for someone without much experience but happy to have a go. Something like the paintable Scenic Rust perhaps?

Here is a picture of what I'm tackling...

20200731_103037.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are various 2 part rusting products that work very well. The one I have used is by Modern Options but it does not have a decade long shelf life, others are available and are probably just as good. Another option though not quite so precise is what I call the Casey method, you paint some Vinegar on then Iron Filings overnight rust but probably not a precise as you are looking for. Finally dry brushing with a few differing brown colored paints is also very effective. Do some pice when you have done please, what you have done so far looks great and is crying out for some distressing.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
There are various 2 part rusting products that work very well. The one I have used is by Modern Options but it does not have a decade long shelf life, others are available and are probably just as good. Another option though not quite so precise is what I call the Casey method, you paint some Vinegar on then Iron Filings overnight rust but probably not a precise as you are looking for. Finally dry brushing with a few differing brown colored paints is also very effective. Do some pice when you have done please, what you have done so far looks great and is crying out for some distressing.

Thanks Jon, will do. That Modern Options stuff looks good. Pricey, but the less involvement I have with the entire process, the better I suspect :D Do you mind me asking where you picked yours up from?
I have some Scenc Rust coming, so I'll have a play with that and post some pictures of the process/result.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
To a certain extent it depend how you want to weather it - do you want it solid rust, or the basic paint with some rust streaks?

If the latter, then you can do it with paint - blacks and browns, enhanced by some of the Tamiya weathering powders, and possibly a little bit of the real rust around the axle box covers.

If you're really skilled, you can add a red desk lamp :oops::oops:

PICT0006.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, will do. That Modern Options stuff looks good. Pricey, but the less involvement I have with the entire process, the better I suspect :D Do you mind me asking where you picked yours up from?
I have some Scenc Rust coming, so I'll have a play with that and post some pictures of the process/result.
Oh now you are asking at a Model Railway Show in UK over 10 years ago! The base stuff has gone hard so I have to faff around to get some out with liquid munching it up with a screwdriver. I said it was old. the activator is still fine though.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The rust on this was achieved using Scenic Rust, it was the first time I'd really had a go at weathering something, and I was quite pleased with the results :)

Scenic Rust Kit

DSCN3712.JPG

DSCN4247a.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The rust on this was achieved using Scenic Rust, it was the first time I'd really had a go at weathering something, and I was quite pleased with the results :)

Fantastic work! If mine comes out as well as that, I'll be happy :) :cool: