Actimel Containers

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hey folks.

Wifey's on a bit of a health kick so we're overrun with empty Actimel containers. Has anyone come up with a use for these as scratch-building material?

IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2702.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Over size "blue" containers as seen in many modern films etc (including Star Trek)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Milk churns....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Cut most of the middle-section out, and make a 'balloon' for a smoke-stack, perhaps?

Reactions: 1 user

3Valve

24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
7/8th or 1/12th scale milk churns maybe. Bit on the big side for G/16mm. Sorry I should've included something in the pic for size comparison.

I was thinking some sort of hazardous materials flask thing, sprayed grey with appropriate warning notices. If I have to self-isolate I may have a bash.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So have done a Google and it appears that the average Mili Churn (there were differing types) was 20” High by 10.5” wide at the base. Looking at some pictures of them being carried by a Bike in India this height measurement would appear about correct. But have no idea of the size of an Actimel thingy, perhaps a pic next to a Tape Measure might help.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So have done a Google and it appears that the average Mili Churn (there were differing types) was 20” High by 10.5” wide at the base. Looking at some pictures of them being carried by a Bike in India this height measurement would appear about correct. But have no idea of the size of an Actimel thingy, perhaps a pic next to a Tape Measure might help.

H'mm. One size missing - the 12 gallon one. It was a great relief when the aluminium can was introduced!

3Valve

24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Leave with me. Will sort out a comparison piccy over the weekend.

My other thought in the current climate was a Deep Cleaning wagon. Half a dozen of theses lashed together with pipework and hoses etc., on the back of a flat wagon or similar.

You that comparison piccy though really. I'm on it.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Do they need to represent a prototype? If you're happy to invent a product, they could be anything you like. How about casks for Light Sabre Juice?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
As Paul suggests - just fill a wagon with them. Alternatively, they would make great mini skittles.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I considered these mini bottles a couple of years ago. The only realistic thing I believed that they might represent were housings for generators or similar electric motors. They have a similarity to some of the generators on wind turbines. Two of them make one, if you glue the bottom of one bottle to the others open neck - or you could use something else to blank. They could be painted and lettered as a load, but they are very light and can be blown off a flat car or out of a gondola if not secured when it is windy.
Another use is that of a farm or industrial tank. Two would have to be welded together, in some fashion and ideally painted and weathered.
A project whilst many of us a confined to camp! Failures would cost us little.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As Paul suggests - just fill a wagon with them. Alternatively, they would make great mini skittles.

Part-fill with a weak cement mix (a little pva-added, perhaps).. Not too much, and a couple of old golf-balls, and a 'project' to amuse the kids for a bit?? - Or a present from Granddad, for same purpose?? :nerd::)

3Valve

24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, they're bigger than I thought compared to a g-scale figure. Wagon loads it is then.

image.jpegimage.jpeg