Accucraft Ruby - Steaming issues

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I've actually just contacted Accucraft about this, they definitely recommend 460. I've a bottle of 220 which is for Roundhouse

Please re-read the first line of post #9.

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
There is also a very good article on the subject of steam cylinder oil here.........
Interesting and informative article. However I'm intrigued by this comment - "The ISO viscosity preferred and most often sold for small scale live steam operations, and indeed for all steam applications where steam pressure does not exceed 150 psi and where there is little or no superheat, is ISO 460 or thereabouts."

OK. most of the NG locos we use (I can't speak for G1 practice which seems to be the author's area of expertise) generally are set to "blow off" at around 60 psi by their makers will happily haul a load under most conditions at around 30-40 psi. What intrigues me is the mention of "superheating" almost as an exception. What is inferred there ? Use of a lower viscosity/ISO rated oil than 460 ? Looking at RH's tech' section mention is made of a "superheater" tube as part of their design, running back through the flue to gain the effect. And, although I cannot find any mention made in the UK and US Accucraft spec's of that feature, it is certainly there on my Accucraft locos for seemingly thaT purpose (see previous post re' a comment from an Accy service agent).

So, what to do ? Or are the "superheaters" used on our locos classified as the "little or no" type. Max

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
What the article shows and the table specifically is as the ISO number rises the ambient viscosity does NOT necessarily rise with it, suggesting that chemical composition and additives can change either or both ISO number and viscosity.
PS the viscosity is in centistokes, and is measure at a constant temperature, I think its 40 centigrade.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Don't lose your 'Poise' Jimmy.. :nerd:;)

The mechanic

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Black Country
It's been some time since my last post so I thought it time to give an update on my Ruby and her performance....

I cleaned the gas jet using the gas "squirt" method as described. It took some time to get it to clear and give a good symmetrically shaped spray, but perseverance won out in the end! I also took the opportunity to have a good "tighten round" of all unions etc.

I used 460 steam oil in the lubricator this time, gassed her up, oiled round and filled the boiler to around 80ml (not full - really do miss the Accucraft blow-down valve here, not used to measuring boiler-fill water).

First thing noted was that lighting up was massively easier! - the burner settled down and was hardly audible (had to keep checking to see if it was still lit. the difference was so great, AND more importantly, it did not keep going out! Had to turn the gas down about 3 times to maintain same level (flame kept increasing as she warmed up - this did not happen before!)

40PSI on the gauge took about 10mins, much better than before, but the best was till to come - put her in reverse, gave her a bit of regulator, and away she went! Couldn't do that before, and more importantly, she kept going for a good 15mins. I have a feeling that this will improve as I get used to her little "foibles".

Anyway, one pleased Ruby owner! - Thanks for all the input on this subject, I couldn't have done it without you!!

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Glad it worked out for you!!!

Happy steaming!!

The mechanic

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Black Country