Accessory Decoders

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Just heard about these vaguely so can anyone please tell me what they are and hopefully a source for a cheap one to run some lighting,

Bill

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
There was another thread about this recently. I think it concluded if you only want to control lights a coach lighting decoder might be the cheapest option.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
This was the thread:

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Accessory decoder, each output has a separate address, call up the address on the Navigator, activate the address with the Left or Right arrow key.

Function decoder, one (Loco) address for multiple outputs, call up the (Loco) address on the Navigator, activate the outputs with the configured or preset Function Key.

Just to complicate matters, your Massoth Switch Decoder is primarily an Accessory Decoder, four outputs, four addresses, although as discovered it can also be a Function Decoder, one address but the outputs can be activated by selecting the appropriate Function Key.

Generalisation, on the Rails use Function, track side use Accessory.

But: if intending to use the Automatic inbuilt routines with the Firmware of both the PIKO and Massoth systems, whist the Firmware can access (Loco) Decoders with Functions indirectly, it was primarily designed to access and work directly with Accessory decoder addresses.

Coach lighting, what is actually required, is a DCC Decoder needed, and how do you wish to operate them?
John
It is to control lights so your advice points to an accessory decoder.
Bill

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
As John defined (and I agree) normally lights are a function decoder, normally one address, different functions with different function keys, normally same address as loco (I remember you did not want this in the loco)

Accessory decoders are most commonly seen as turnout/switch/points decoders, where you have multiple addresses for different physical devices

All that said, this MD USD decoder seems to be a turbo-charged accessory decoder by these definitions.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth makes a light strip that is digital and can drive additional loads with function keys. The one I have also has servo capabilities.