A Vintage Merlin Mayflower

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Great photos everyone!

I first became fascinated with small scale live steam during the early 1980s and called in at the old Merlin factory in Llanfair Caereinion with every intention of leaving with a locomotive. I met Tom Cooper and spent several hours with him as he demonstrated three different locos on his indoor test track. However none of them seemed capable of completing a single lap without stopping and he spent more time tinkering than actual running. I came away very unimpressed - and empty handed. In fact because of that one visit I avoided all small scale live steam for the next 20 years and switched to OO scale instead!

I've since seen quite a few good running Merlin's so maybe I just caught him on a bad day. And I certainly think he had a great eye for design as most of them are highly attractive.

But isn't it strange how one negative experience can change your whole impression of a hobby?

In later years I'd occasionally bump into him at various railway events in North Wales and always found him very likeable as a person. In fact the last time I saw him was in the Little Chef in Penrhyndeudraeth where he joined us for a meal.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Chris Bird said:
Tom - yes the Monarch is the saddle tank and the Mayflower the side tank. I think Jon just got the photos in the wrong place.

Keith - The Jung Frau was advertised in Garden Railway World in 1989 from the Merlin Locomotive Works. There is a photo of a finished model so they made at least one! Of course Tom Cooper had moved on by then and was trading as Steamlines. I had no money for any of these locos in those days so my knowledge only comes from the old magazines.
Could this be a cue for a photo of your Midas Mk III? :D
Cheers
Chris

Chris, well spotted yes I got the pics the wrong way round. Though I always get confused as to which is which. Must put a label on them somewhere now that I have been advised of the error of my ways!
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here at last is a Movie of my Mayflower plus some more pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO-Z...cd5e4dc8b2583d9164b01525.jpg[/IMG] JonD

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
That's great Jon - it is nice to see another one in action - so many are on the sick list. She runs pretty well, though putting a cheap 2.4ghz r/c in would transform her handling. Also I believe there is a device (or two) which will convert the sizzling into a chuff:D

Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
GlenF said:
I've since seen quite a few good running Merlin's so maybe I just caught him on a bad day. And I certainly think he had a great eye for design as most of them are highly attractive.

But isn't it strange how one negative experience can change your whole impression of a hobby?

Hi Glen
It is very interesting to hear about your experience - such a shame it was a bad day. I could never afford a new Merlin, but made one up from bits I bought cheap back in 1984. But it is funny how things can go wrong on a demo. I have a wonderful Fowler that is totally reliable and controllable here. I took it to an exhibition and the gas jet blocked. Trying to fix it too quickly, I got a gas leak and a cab fire. It melted the bell-crank so I ran her manually (very embarassed!)..

I took her to a garden meet and the safety blew and kept blowing - so no pressure. A quick strip down of the safety sorted it back at the workshop, but she was in disgrace again. I think they call it Murphy's law. So I feel rather sorry for Tom on that fateful day.......

I ran the Mayflower last evening. She ran for 30 mins at a scale speed until the gas (which was topped up when steam was raised) ran out. There was still 55 mls of water in the boiler and half the oil in the lubricator so I reckon Tom got this design right. Build quality....well that is a different matter......

I have attached a photo of the Merlin Beck project with a Triang Big Big conversion and a card tram - all dating from the mid 80's.
5fe670cf531d4a4297d8f0fda59f4dbc.jpg

Cheers
Chris

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Interesting fleet there Chris!

Love the "Mayflower" photos, one of my favourite locos. In fact I think it was a photo of Tag's in an old Railway Modeller, back when it was still green and shiny, that got me into 16mm steam in the first place!

E

Elmtree Line

Chris Bird said:
Tom - yes the Monarch is the saddle tank and the Mayflower the side tank. I think Jon just got the photos in the wrong place.

Keith - The Jung Frau was advertised in Garden Railway World in 1989 from the Merlin Locomotive Works. There is a photo of a finished model so they made at least one! Of course Tom Cooper had moved on by then and was trading as Steamlines. I had no money for any of these locos in those days so my knowledge only comes from the old magazines.
Could this be a cue for a photo of your Midas Mk III? :D
Cheers
Chris

Well go on then, but not just "Joy", how about "Hope" too? cus after all she's a Merlin too :D

4629419321_9198f7fb20.jpg

4510539062_338397beef.jpg

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Elmtree Line said:
Well go on then, but not just "Joy", how about "Hope" too? cus after all she's a Merlin too :D

Excellent Keith - I do like the Midas III and that Major is very smart too. Any videos?

And Matt - yes, Tag has a lot to answer for.......:)
Cheers
Chris

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
How does this loco reverse? From the photos it looks there is no way of changing direction.

Peter

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Moonraker said:
How does this loco reverse? From the photos it looks there is no way of changing direction.

Peter

Peter - the Mayflower, Monarch and early Major all use a rotary reversing valve which doubles as the throttle. This makes them pretty sensitive on r/c.
Cheers
Chris

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

As this posting appears to have been hijacked (by me as well) into a Merlin Appreciation Society. I thought that you may like to see another of the breed. You rarely see these, I suppose that not many were built. Mine is a bit in the wars, I burnt out the Whitemetal Stack Top. Plus the steam exhaust line needs some work. But it does still work and the "Osmotor" goes like the wind. Not that that suits me, but it is also controllable to a slow speed.

Ladies and Gentlemen I introduce the Merlin Shay to the proceedings:-
fcab3a4e333b4338a180b6140d7f3054.jpg

b948a5f6629a45bdb3635f1554b8607f.jpg

d658d3cb201b4e97b26f595df5422845.jpg

4a9f773877c748a185cd7751a9b92e3f.jpg

I will try to run her and post something on to Utube in the next day or so. Am busy at the Ruschbahn later on today.
JonD

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
As this posting appears to have been hijacked (by me as well) into a Merlin Appreciation Society. I thought that you may like to see another of the breed.

Hijacking is no problem Jon - I find them all fascinating. That Steamlines Shay is an interesting beast, though I think the camera is making it look a bit distorted from front and back views (I don't think even Tom made them like that!). Shame about the stack - it must be possible to get something to fit there. I reverted to a plain top on my Accucraft Shay.

I will be interested to see it in action.
Cheers
Chris

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that guys, I had thought about building a Flat Cylindrical type of stack top for her, sort of like the Yugoslavian ones. I have one of these that I pop onto my Roundhouse Loco's to catch the gunk that comes out of the chimney on first start up. The upright tube is blockedat the top and has a hole in it, holes round the top let out the Steam. The one that I built has too large a tube to fit the Shay. Also the exhaust line is shot on the Shay and needs to be redone. Must get round to it.
JonD

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
For a video of my not so vintage Merlin Mayflower, click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD88GrWAxMI < Link To here.
The reason for all the slippage is that the track was wet. We were running in the rain.

And, as promised, a picture...

Merlin%20Mayflower.jpg

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
steamtom1 said:
For a video of my not so vintage Merlin Mayflower, click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD88GrWAxMI < Link To here.
The reason for all the slippage is that the track was wet. We were running in the rain.

Thanks for posting the photo and video Tom - it looks excellent. I do like tender conversions - did you do it?
Cheers
Chris

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Maxwell Hemmens made a wood cab replacement for their Porter. They also made a wood tender, in limited quantities. The tender is probably worth more than the locomotive.

The Americanization, I believe, was completed by Richard Finlayson. I don't know where he got his hands on the Hemmens wood tender. Perhaps he will weigh in. Richard, are you out there?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got round to steaming up the Shay for a run today and have posted the video on utube at:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_j...aming these Merlins up till this year. JonD

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Thanks Jon - it is very interesting to see the Steamlines Shay in action. It is clearly not such a plodder as the Accucraft Shay - due to the smaller cylinders I expect.
Cheers
Chris

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Chris Bird said:
Well Tom that looks like a Merlin Hunslet - the No, 14 ex Sierra Leone Railways now on the Welshpool and Llanfair.

Nice to see your Monarch in action Jon - and the Mayflower looks great too. A lot of these locos are pretty worn now, though I gather Mike Ousby can sort the valve chests and there may be more spare parts in the future, according to Tag.
Cheers
Chris

Simon Whenmouth of Imp Models/Anything Narrow Gauge is sourcing new parts for merlins and by next year I expect to see enough parts to keep Merlins running for the foreseeable...

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Chris Bird said:
Thanks Jon - it is very interesting to see the Steamlines Shay in action. It is clearly not such a plodder as the Accucraft Shay - due to the smaller cylinders I expect.
Cheers
Chris

I reckon that he (Tom Cooper bless his soul) did not get the gearing low enough on the Osmotor. It is a bit tricky to run and film the beast. But OK to just run it. Must be that 1 task at a time man thing going on.
JonD