A Stainz Crane Tank Bash

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
www.scampington-chipside.co.uk
Best answers
Hi all, here's the thread I promised Mr Gizzy Gizzy earlier today :)

So way back in 2006 I stumbled across the web site for the Foxfield Railway - a former colliery line in North Staffordshire, converted to passenger running by way of earning revenue thus to help preserve it. On their stock page, I saw a most unusual beast - a crane tank. In fact, they had 2! I'd never heard of such a thing before, but the idea fascinated me; so much so, that I set about trying to create one for my own line.

The solution was quite simple - a second hand Stainz locomotive, the crane arm from a Matra crane wagon body were the main parts. The thing to join the two was even simpler: the lid from a bottle of cooking oil spray!

The ingredients:

41564860174_b201a38576_b.jpg

41564857854_aa8aaf29d7_b.jpg

42285919151_c19e9601ba_b.jpg

Obviously there was some cutting involved, to get the top off the lid and to cut a curve into the bottom of it to match the curvature of the loco boiler - but nothing too onerous. The result of it all was this:

27495418797_09a5bc93ec_b.jpg

A lick of some suitable green paint to finish, plus some metal chain and a winding wheel from a large scale boat model shop, and it was all looking the part:

27495573937_79d77e0d27_b.jpg

I was lucky enough to get along to a G Scale Society open day near Southampton, where it was quite well received!

That's all there is to it! :)

Reactions: 8 users

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
This is great, Clive! I love the color.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Love it Clive, real out of the box thinking. Must scan in some of my slides of Crane Tanks taken at Doxford and Hodbarrow to add to this thread. Taken in the late 60's early 70's. Not sure what you took as your inspiration (more than likely the middle one) for this Stainz Bash but it certainly captured the feel of the Doxford Locomotives as well.

Could not wait to do my pics so some stock stuff from the net. Just love Crane Tanks!

Snipey at Hodbarrow, not quite the same concept.
image.jpeg
Dubs Crane Tank at Poxton.
image.jpeg
One of the Doxford ones.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Very impressive!

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Thanks BakerJohn BakerJohn , P playmofire and dunnyrail dunnyrail . Thanks too for sharing those photos, very interesting - I seem to remember that second photo as one of the 2 at Foxfield, which was indeed my original inspiration. I think their other crane tank was a light blue coloured 0-6-0 called 'Dubsy' or something like that.

That first one is excellent, though!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think there is a Crane Tank loco at Bressingham.... used for dockside work I believe?

Jon.

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice build.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks BakerJohn BakerJohn , P playmofire and dunnyrail dunnyrail . Thanks too for sharing those photos, very interesting - I seem to remember that second photo as one of the 2 at Foxfield, which was indeed my original inspiration. I think their other crane tank was a light blue coloured 0-6-0 called 'Dubsy' or something like that.

That first one is excellent, though!
Snipey was preserved and is still at what was the Lytham Museum. This Museum kind of went to the wall and is a Private Site now but happily Snipey is safely ensconsed withing, Sheeted over most of the time to preserve her super restoration. I gather that there are occasional open days but they will probably be tricky to find out about unless our Blackpool and local contingent get to know.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done Clive....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Neat !

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great to see these kit-bashes! Adds a ton of variety to our consists. (and I believe we are all learning new skills as we commit to razor saw and glue pot!;) )

Clive Tucker

Registered
21 May 2018
Portsmouth
Best answers
Thanks all for your kind comments. I guess the only downside of my design is that the height of the crane arm prevents it from going under one of my bridges so I can't actually run it on the continuous circuit! :( So, guest appearances only at the moment! This was back in 2007 (starting at about 1:16)

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
'Playback on other websites has been disabled by the owner'
:(

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Great bash. And a great looking layout.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all for your kind comments. I guess the only downside of my design is that the height of the crane arm prevents it from going under one of my bridges so I can't actually run it on the continuous circuit! :( So, guest appearances only at the moment! This was back in 2007 (starting at about 1:16)

Wait ! I know we have driverless cars, but driverless trains ?!?!?.....:rofl: