A relaxing coal firing session- finally!

Llongfordrailway

Edrig, Little John, Ruby, Ffion and Coal Fowler
17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hi all,

I've ran my coal fired engine tonight and finally feel happy and relaxed around it. I build it based on the roundhouse lady Anne chassis with lots of mind changing throughout the build from having inner side tanks to a tender. I've been unhappy with it since it being "finished" earlier in the year. I found that I was struggling to run it longer than 10 minutes and felt I should be getting more like 20 minutes like a riverdale engine. I also found the engine blew off too much an the axle pump was not keeping up with the boiler. For a time, I blamed this on the axle pump but could not find any problems with it and also thought this was also due to the "short" running times. On speaking with Paul Bailey at Djb engineering, it became apparent that I had unrealistic expectations of what the engine could do any anything 10 minutes plus was considered acceptable. We also discussed the load and type of railway and how this could affect the engine.

Since this useful conversation, I have considered my railway with its steep gradients and radius 1 curves were mainly derailing the engine and also causing it to work too hard rather than gentle sweeping curves and a level track! I've resigned to the fact that I would not probably have a good run on Llongfordrailway and this changed the way I was looking at the performance of the loco. I think if I build another one (there will be another one!) there will be things I would do differently and also have clearer expectations and understandings of the running of the engine. Although the principles of running a coal fired engine are the same, my fowler runs very differently than my 5" coal fired engine!

I've since had several successful runs on the rolling road and feel confident that the engine would run well on other railways. Here is a short clip of the engine running. I had it running continuously for 45 minutes all in all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQ4kzMvJ_M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Regards

Daniel

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
What was causing you to struggle when running it Daniel? If the loco's bowing off all the time the axle pump may indeed struggle to keep up. Cooling the fire may help. Just open the firehole door for a little while. I do this on my locos and it works well. Riverdale locos have a radio controlled firehole door to act as a damper. The 'John Shawe' test is running a loco for 10 minutes without adding water or coal. If the loco's blowing off all the time you won't make the 10 minutes for water, but you might for coal. It's all a question of balance (as they say) and gradient and load make a big difference. The last time I ran my Annette is seemed to struggle a bit with 7 wagons behind (+ brake van). I dropped off a wagon (0.6kg) and the loco then ran quite happily. It's amazing what a small additional weight can do, including causing the loco to tear the heart out of the fire. It sounds like you've got the loco sorted. You just need to practice running it to find out its idiosyncracies. It will definitely be different from your 5" loco.
Congratulations on finishing it and running it!
Best wishes,
Steve

Llongfordrailway

Edrig, Little John, Ruby, Ffion and Coal Fowler
17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers

Hi Steve,

Initially I blamed the struggle running on the engine but the difficulty was that for the engine to run round the track, it would need to be running at a fast over scale speed, and then it would derail on one of the corners. I would then have the blower on while in re-railing the train which left the engine unattended and then I would be struggling with pressure and water and had to resort to the battery powered blower. Like you suggest Steve, I have been having the fire hole door open at times to help manage the steam pressure and may look to have an adjustable damper on the door. I'll see how it goes. I'd like to repaint the engine but it can wait for now.

Regards

Daniel