A deviation and a ten foot extension too.

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
After running perfectly and unaltered for over 12 years I decided a few weeks ago my outer circuit could do with a slight extension. Adding five foot on either side split up the double track curve and gave more interest as it would then go out of sight behind some shrubs. Of course this meant they needed some heavy pruning too. A concerted effort over the last fortnight has seen the formation excavated, lined with weed repellent matting then a base of shingle with new track laid and ballasted. As part of the job the inner track was slewed across to the centre of the previous formation and also extended a foot either side. It was far more of a challenge than I had envisaged (isn't it always?) and one the gradients still needs to be eased, but I am very pleased with the result. Today (14th April 2024) was bright, warm and sunny and the first trains have run on the new line. I have even uploaded a 50 second video to YouTube, although a three-section F set will not be a regular on the line. The blue B&O name boards above the windows were made for me probably 12 years ago by 'Beavercreek '

a.JPGb.JPGc.JPGd.JPGe.JPGf.JPGg.JPGh.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
The inner track was not forgotten today either, here is a train running on the newly singled inner line.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    498.7 KB · Views: 0

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
  • Haha

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Could we have some more info on the auto-rail type machine, please?

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
The Auto-rail was scratch built in 2011, using a Mack switcher as power and a newly constructed trailer unit from wood. It operated for a few years in chocolate and cream before being repainted into 'Blood and Custard' and has been a regular performer on my local passenger services.

1   10.06.11.JPG2.JPG

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
The trackwork through the Station was finally raised a few inches today to ease the gradients. The weather had delayed the work, and you cannot get everything right the first time.
It looks much better too, the slate embankment being also raised to secure the formation.

48  Raising the track two inches  BEFORE  22.04.24.JPG49  Raising the track two inches  AFTER  22.04.24.JPG

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Auto-rail was scratch built in 2011, using a Mack switcher as power and a newly constructed trailer unit from wood. It operated for a few years in chocolate and cream before being repainted into 'Blood and Custard' and has been a regular performer on my local passenger services.

View attachment 326206View attachment 326207
I really like this!! I happen to have a spare Mack switcher and need a rail car. Do you happen to have a photo showing how you managed the connection between the switcher and the coach. Thanks!

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Certainly, Simplicity is the best!! One of the bonnets was removed and a pin replaced it. A hole in the underside of the coach sits over it. It has worked perfectly for at least 15 years!

Mack 1.jpgMack 2.jpg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member