A British Locomotive?

GJFREESTONE

Garden Railways, Model making
19 Jan 2013
Shropshire
Best answers
Thank you Syd very helpful on to it now.
Graham.

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nearly two years ago now, the Cattewater and Southern Railway closed and four of its engines transfered to the PW Works for the Pakefield Joint.  They have been working in original form since arrival, and the other three are to remain so, but No7 needed some bodywork repairs and I wasnt a fan of the silver boiler front.  So in keeping with the latest form, No7 went into the shops and re-appeared today transformed into BR black and bearing the cabside number 69034.

1-252  No7  27.05.13.JPG

2-253  Now as 69034  31.01.15.JPG

Attachments

• 1-3-254  Now as 69034  31.01.15.JPG
    1-3-254 Now as 69034 31.01.15.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 77

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I like that - reminds me of a miniturised Yanky tank

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
I agree Alan, it does have the feel of those Dock Tanks that BR used at Southampton although if you compare a photo they are nothing alike!  I did consider anglising the engine by replacing the smokebox door, removing the headlight etc but then that is part of the character of the Ex Cattewater locomotives and it will still be working alongside them.  This photo was taken last summer with all four of them together before No7 went into the works ( I believe there was a fifth engine but it was sold elsewhere before I could aquire it) and one of No7 in it`s previous life at Cattewater

1-410  Steam tanks on shed  12.07.14.JPG

7 and 8 at Cattewater in 2011.JPG

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly a first for this loco, the failure of the regular tram engine resulted in her being used on the Push-Pull local service along the branch line with Trailer E10273.

1  E10273  with 69034  03.02.15.JPG

E10273  with 69034  03.02.15.JPG

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
That tram is never British! It look more familiar to my 4-axle tram, or what would you think? ;)

@ Lordraglan274
Can you tell me a bit more about the conversion, please?

By the way it looks really nice.

Peter

Link to my 4- axle tram scratch building report

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
None of my `British` stock is actually correct for the Country Peter, apart from the colours. British Railways never used tram-style driving trailers or small USA steam locomotives to work with them as push-pull. Total fiction, but I love them and that is all that matters. I am not trying to re-create anything.

As you correctly guessed the body is made from a pair of LGB four wheel tram bodies, with one end removed from each, and then joined together onto a scratchbuilt underframe.
The original bodies were bought off the Internet without running gear, I didnt scrap a working tram!

1-145  92  As purchased.JPG

2- Bogies fitted.JPG

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you very much for the photos. Your "tram" looks good.

But than an other question. Are you still having the other front parts with the headlights? I'm very interested in those. I do have two trailer and would like to make one of it into a motorcar.

I can offer two front parts in yellow, for exchange or would like to buy them.

Peter

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
I am sorry Peter but I dont have any spares for disposal, they were all used on the current tramcar fleet which is quite extensive. We have `Tram Days` when the entire system is turned over to tramway operation.  The trailer cars were just constructed from spare bodies of broken cars which had been bought for cannabilisation.  The reason I posted this one was it is the first to be transfered to the British Railways livery.  Car 91 here is still in the original home fleet colours of Chocolate/Cream

Trailer 91.JPG

Here are a few of the LGB trams in use last summer as you are interested.

Trams.JPG

Attachments

• Tram sheds.JPG
    Tram sheds.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 40

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, thanks a lot for your fast answer. So you are working similairto me. Looking for old, or damaged trams and than use it for scratchbuilding. At the moment I have about 5 trams in different conditions. All of them will be used for scratchbuilding. Two of those cars came even with motors.

So when the running projects are finisched I will go on them and have a look what they can be in future.

Peter

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
It is a far cheaper way to go than buying complete cars Peter.  This was a Bachmann toastrack that was bought as a non-runner solely for parts reclaimation. The shell was then used to scratchbuild a works car, and after repairs the motor block it was restored to working order and the car is now on its fourth year in service.

Works Car under construction  19.03.11.JPG

2.JPG

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Lordraglan274 said:
Sorry....total thread drift.

I enjoy thread drifts like these :happy:

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the main subject then.  The original `Pakefield Joint Railway` home fleet livery is slowly being phased out as the `Joint` ceased operation in December 2013 after a major shareholder left to start a family!  To this end the Beyer-Garratt has now been outshopped in British Railways Black and it suits it very well to my mind.
The original livery photo was taken during the summer of 2012, the latest ones this morning!

1.JPG

DSCF2529.JPG

DSCF2528.JPG

In the meantime, another Diesel has received the BR Green look, Pakefield Joint No129 has joined the ranks and I really do think it suits her.  Very much a Class 07 look.

257  129 and the Emily coaches.JPG

DSCF2535.JPG

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Both the Garratt and the latest Green diesel, look the muts nuts mate.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Loving Gareth's 47 and Irish diesel too. Didn't he also do a rather splendid 4MT?

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
This is the last of the locomotives to be outshopped this winter, out having a test run this afternoon.  It is expected it will be the last to receive British Railways green too

DSCF2629.JPG

Attention is turning to completing a rake of box vans in Bauxite, here the little shunter is taking a pair off to the paintshops

DSCF2624.JPG

A completed one that has been in service a few months shows the transformation

DSCF2620.JPG

Lordraglan274

25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
The branch line trains have a varied selection of stock, and the Emily coaches have now been outshopped in Blood and Custard colours to go with the British Railways black locomotives.
I am so pleased with them a further two second hand ones have been obtained from Glendale Junction to join them.

b.JPG

The Emily coaches may be toys from Thomas the Tank series, but they do look the part with just a simple repaint.
These two are in the now abandoned Pakefield Joint livery of Chocolate and Cream, with matching engine of course!

a.JPG