A brewery for Beeston Castle

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A lovely building that looks good enough to...drink. As others have mentioned, it gives more freight opportunities for your line. When do we get to sample the produce?

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent build, Rik! :clap::clap:

Tell me, will it fit in a 750mm square footprint?
And,
Will it be going to Nottingham? :think:
750 x 430

Nottingham?

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A lovely building that looks good enough to...drink. As others have mentioned, it gives more freight opportunities for your line. When do we get to sample the produce?
I'll have a word with the master brewer.

Rik

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose it will have to be a scale pint: about half a thimbleful? Ah well, you can't win them all...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
750 x 430

Nottingham?

Rik

It just so happens that 750 x 750 mm is the maximum size for building entries to the g Scale Society competition..
This will be at Nottingham (Harvey Haddon Stadium) this year..

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
That looks fantastic...
Certainly doesn't matter you couldn't find a decent photo of a real brewery.
Just in case anyone else is thinking of a compact brewery, I'd like to suggest the Hook Norton Brewery (I'm originally from down there.) Quite a picturesque set of buildings. (And a jolly good pint too!)
Here's a couple of shots to wet yer whistle. (See what I did there.) (Groan.)
NB: The single storey square building with the little skip trailer outside is the malting floor. No malting floor, no malt. No malt, no beer..!

Attachments

• Hooknorton brewery _1_.JPG
    Hooknorton brewery _1_.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 0
  • Hooknorton brewery _2_.JPG
    Hooknorton brewery _2_.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Hooknorton brewery _3_.JPG
    Hooknorton brewery _3_.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Hooknorton brewery _4_.JPG
    Hooknorton brewery _4_.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Hooknorton brewery _5_.JPG
    Hooknorton brewery _5_.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul. A great set of pictures. Seem to be a lot of louvres on that one. I'm glad I didn't see these pics or I might have ended up making loads of louvres, which I imagine would be a fiddle.

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul. A great set of pictures. Seem to be a lot of louvres on that one. I'm glad I didn't see these pics or I might have ended up making loads of louvres, which I imagine would be a fiddle.

Rik

Don't you only need lots of louv-res in a French brewery? o_O
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Love it! Very impressive build. The brickwork looks very realistic.
And a brewery is always good for thirsty railway staff off-course ;-)

How does these buildings made from foam hold up outside? Do you take them back inside at the end of the day or can they stay outside all year?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
And hopefully you will now build more, brewery looks fantastic matey

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
How does these buildings made from foam hold up outside? Do you take them back inside at the end of the day or can they stay outside all year?
I do take them inside, especially in the winter, but PVC foamboard is weatherproof, so they could be left outside all year round. I think Mike leaves his buildings out all the time.

Rik

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Oke thank you for the answer Rik. If it can indeed be used outside will have to try those PVC foam. It looks finer than styrofoam.

Btw, I notice you are the same Rik as in the (great) blog on the garden railway Peckforton Light Railway?
That blog has been (and still is) a big source for inspiration for me and I really enjoy reading it.
Thank you very much for keeping posting on that blog. We never met each other but still you have learned me a lot!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Oke thank you for the answer Rik. If it can indeed be used outside will have to try those PVC foam. It looks finer than styrofoam.

Btw, I notice you are the same Rik as in the (great) blog on the garden railway Peckforton Light Railway?
That blog has been (and still is) a big source for inspiration for me and I really enjoy reading it.
Thank you very much for keeping posting on that blog. We never met each other but still you have learned me a lot!
Thanks Paulus
Always encouraging to get positive feedback. I'm glad you've found my blog useful. I've made a couple of other buildings from foamboard, the water mill and the boiler house. I've described how I made them on the blog. Not got around to writing about the brewery yet.

I'm enjoying your blog. That info on making figures looks interesting. I like the pose for the chap looking at his watch. I like the railcar too. Looks like styrofoam is good for making stone buildings. Foamboard is good for brick buildings. Take a look at Mike's thread. He has some really magnificent foamboard buildings and structures on there.

Rik

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Thanks Paulus
Always encouraging to get positive feedback. I'm glad you've found my blog useful. I've made a couple of other buildings from foamboard, the water mill and the boiler house. I've described how I made them on the blog. Not got around to writing about the brewery yet.

I'm enjoying your blog. That info on making figures looks interesting. I like the pose for the chap looking at his watch. I like the railcar too. Looks like styrofoam is good for making stone buildings. Foamboard is good for brick buildings. Take a look at Mike's thread. He has some really magnificent foamboard buildings and structures on there.

Rik

Thanks for the kind words Rik! I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I'll try to post something every week.
Yes I remember the water mill and also the water stream (sabotaged by a mouse if I remember correctly). I'm planning a similar sort of stream on my layout as well (without the mouse), somewhere this summer hopefully.
I go looking for Mike's thread ;)

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words Rik! I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I'll try to post something every week.
Yes I remember the water mill and also the water stream (sabotaged by a mouse if I remember correctly). I'm planning a similar sort of stream on my layout as well (without the mouse), somewhere this summer hopefully.
I go looking for Mike's thread ;)
Wow. You've got a good memory - I think the mouse incident was at least three years ago!
Mike's thread is Lazy Grange Bay - Lazy Grange Bay 3...a new start - G Scale Central

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Crackin` build Rik,really looks the part :clap::clap::clap::clap:,