55020 decoder

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
advice please i'm thinking of buying a mallet which has a 55020 decoder installed as this will be the first step in to digital will i be making a mistake or is it easy to change your thoughts would be appreciated thank you

barryw

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Barry,

The 55020 is quite an old unit, but provided it is working OK I don't see a problem; when you say "is it easy to change", do you mean to upgrade to (say) a sound decoder, or just to replace it with a more modern type? Either way, as the loco is already decoder-fitted that means it is a pretty simple job to change it up to something like a Massoth XL (or XLS if you want sound), should be just a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new. If it was an older loco that was purely analogue, THAT's when decoder fitting can get a little trickier (though even that is pretty straightforward once you've figured out what you're doing and got over the fear of dismantling gearboxes and the like!).

If the price is right, then I'd go for it! :D

Jon

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
thank you Zerogee yes i did mean to change the decoder to a more up to date one my concern is i think i read somewhere this decoder makes the motor noisey i now see it has esu sound on board is this ok ?

barryw

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
barryw said:
thank you Zerogee yes i did mean to change the decoder to a more up to date one my concern is i think i read somewhere this decoder makes the motor noisey i now see it has esu sound on board is this ok ?

barryw

Hmmm, that sounds a little bit odd if it has an ESU sound decoder AND still has the 55020 decoder fitted as well? Do you have a link to the details of the loco?

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sonds as if some onehas done an expensive sound conversion.
One word about ESU chips they seem very complex to programme.
Just read their instructions. Having said that they are a good sound

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee not sure how to do ebay link but its on the german site at best part of 900e
barryw

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
barryw said:
advice please i'm thinking of buying a mallet which has a 55020 decoder installed as this will be the first step in to digital will i be making a mistake or is it easy to change your thoughts would be appreciated thank you

barryw
Of course you should buy it. It's a Mallet! :love:

One small thought. If it's a Mallet there should be two decoders, not one! If 2 55020s fitted, then the best thing to do is replace both with a single Massoth XL and sell the 55020s. You'll end up very little out of pocket and have a much better decoder onboard as a bonus. The 55020s don't have back-EMF (automatic compensation for constant speed running) and can give rise to a louder "buzz" from the motor, but they will work just fine.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
What loco is it, Barry

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
barryw said:
whatlep said:
barryw said:
Zerogee not sure how to do ebay link but its on the german site at best part of 900e
barryw

Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.de/LGB-23851-Brohlt...dellbau_Modelleisenbahnen&hash=item4cf76cff6f

The price being asked is much higher than I would pay for a Brohltal. How about this one instead?:
http://cgi.ebay.de/LGB-221-G-LGB-23...dellbau_Modelleisenbahnen&hash=item27bafc190f
seller says been build in workshop? i think and no chip

Huh? Where do you get that from. I don't see any reference to workshops. The seller is a commerical trader who I've dealt with and is reliable. As to price, well yes you need to add one Massoth XL decoder (non-sound/sound) and an LGB 55026 interface cable (total £65!) (or a Massoth XLS, 55026 and a speaker if you go sound). Installation is a snip. So this one is 400 euros cheaper from Ebay against the cost of the add ons. Much cheaper overall. :clap:

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
barryw said:

barryw
Of course you should buy it. It's a Mallet! :love:

One small thought. If it's a Mallet there should be two decoders, not one! If 2 55020s fitted, then the best thing to do is replace both with a single Massoth XL and sell the 55020s.

I disagree with the comment of fitting the Massoth XL, as it already has a sound decoder fitted, why not use the ESU. Personally, I think the ESU is a better decoder anyway:clap:.

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Whatlep thank you, i asked for more details its always difficult when you don't know the dealer so it seems i should take your advice thank you
barryw

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds very misleading. Think I'd give it a pass