3S Lipo battery protection board

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just bought a new battery for my ancient PDA and they sent me a complimentary Lithium battery charging board (TP4056). Did a bit of research and it seems OK for preventing overcharging of one lithium cell but not much use for generalised battery protection - which is what I need now I`ve installed three unprotected 18650 lithiums in my latest loco build. So I did a bit of searching on eBay and came across this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400770869937

which looks to be ideal for my 3S set-up.
protection circuit.JPG

Provides charging, discharge, overload and short-circuit protection for three cells for just under 6UKP. Have sent off for a pack of three and will let you know what they`re like when they arrive.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Darn it! Just found the same boards (from the same shop) considerably cheaper (2.30 UKP each). Should have searched further........
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151406857420

Rik

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Thats a good bit of kit Rik, I'm gunna do a search for a 4 cell version....

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
And there is only 1 listed; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4S-Li-ion-Li-Po-Lithium-Battery-18650-Charger-Protection-Board-14-4V-14-8V-16-8V-/331303842524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d233f72dc

Seems that it handles the ballance charging of the cells too, great idea Rik...

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Tramcar Trev said:
And there is only 1 listed; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4S-Li-ion-Li-Po-Lithium-Battery-18650-Charger-Protection-Board-14-4V-14-8V-16-8V-/331303842524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d233f72dc

Seems that it handles the ballance charging of the cells too, great idea Rik...

Heading says 4S but circuit only shows connections for 3 cells. check before you buy.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Thanks Greg, I'll send a message first.....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
Heading says 4S but circuit only shows connections for 3 cells. check before you buy.
I think it'll be OK - it's just their wiring diagram is naff. The ones I'm getting have four connections (like the balance charge lead) B+ B1 B2 B-
108111di.jpg

Looks like the ones Trev is considering has five B+ B1 B2 B3 B-
TB2H3H6aXXXXXakXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!823413384.jpg

Rik

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Just ordered one, (4 cell) will be good coupled up to my free fake ultrafire 18650's

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have the 4 cell version of this and it works well for me with my unprotected LG batteries powering an Accucraft Lew. It provides overvoltage and undervoltage protection, cutting out at about 12.6 volts when testing it at 1 amp load. I haven't tried the short circuit protection! It doesn't however appear to balance charge in that originally the final after charge voltage of my batteries were 4.17, 4.18, 4.18 and 4.06. I topped up the lower one with a single cell charger and now they are all approximately the same. Will monitor this over time. The literature only says "charging protection" which it does.

Mike

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Michael said:
I have the 4 cell version of this and it works well for me with my unprotected LG batteries powering an Accucraft Lew. It provides overvoltage and undervoltage protection, cutting out at about 12.6 volts when testing it at 1 amp load. I haven't tried the short circuit protection! It doesn't however appear to balance charge in that originally the final after charge voltage of my batteries were 4.17, 4.18, 4.18 and 4.06. I topped up the lower one with a single cell charger and now they are all approximately the same. Will monitor this over time. The literature only says "charging protection" which it does.

Mike
Thanks Mike. My 3S version hasn't arrived yet but will post info once I've deployed it. Looks like I may have to keep the balance charge lead in place though which is useful info.

Rik

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The balanced charging version of this is now available on Ebay from the same supplier I obtained my non balanced one from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Protection-PCB-for-4-Packs-14-8V-Li-ion-Lithium-18650-Battery-4-8A-w-Balance-/261217818070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd1cb95d6

4cellbalanced.JPG

Also just tested the short circuit protection and it worked. I went to check the voltage when my meter was set to 10amp current mode  :)

Mike

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
That looks good, now I have to decide whether I use the simple single cell protection board for each cell and charge with the ballance charger or go with this board.... In the meantime as I have free 18650 batteries in good supply I dont worry too much. Yes they are still selling counterfiet branded batteries....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Also a board for 3S which looks interesting - includes LEDs to show capacity
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Protection-Board-for-3-Packs-LiFePO4-9-6V-Battery-charger-Max-8A-O-P-w-LED-/251277625153?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Also a board for 3S which looks interesting - includes LEDs to show capacity
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251277625153
Rik
This neat little board arrived today from HK - without any documentation. There is some on the eBay page showing the basic wiring - which I understand - but I'm at a loss as to what is the purpose of the flying lead. It's connected to a couple of outputs on the board labelled NCT. One of these is then connected on the PCB to the P- input but the other is connected to another input labelled NT. The lead ends in a bulb. It might be an LED I suppose - I did wonder if it was a heat sensor (thermistor?) but not sure how it would be used.

I've sent off an email to the supplier in HK worded as simply as possible in the hope of a reply. Just wondered if any of you sparks-savvy people were any better at figuring it out than me.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Blimey - that was quick. Just had this reply from the supplier (almost immediately) ......

Dear ge_rik,

No, the lead wire is thermal sensor and solder on NCT
- tchwarehouse-au

Looks like my guess was correct. Still no idea how I would connect NT though.

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps it should be 'ntc'?? As in, 'Negative Temperature Coefficient' thermistor.

HTH
PhilP.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
Perhaps it should be 'ntc'?? As in, 'Negative Temperature Coefficient' thermistor.
HTH
PhilP.
The only thing I could think of was Natural Childbirth Trust - but somehow couldn't work out how it was relevant.

Rik

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ge_rik said:
The only thing I could think of was Natural Childbirth Trust - but somehow couldn't work out how it was relevant.

Rik
Errrr ahhhhh Natural childbirth thrust???
Seriously flyers and those who really push the amps like to know the temp of their batteries and temperature is a good gauge ,so this stops the charge/discharge if the temp goes over a presumably preset level....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Tramcar Trev said:
Errrr ahhhhh Natural childbirth thrust???
Seriously flyers and those who really push the amps like to know the temp of their batteries and temperature is a good gauge ,so this stops the charge/discharge if the temp goes over a presumably preset level....
I was wondering if I could somehow use it with my ImaxB6 clone charger - but it looks as if that requires something a bit more sophisticated to sense temperature - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778508

Rik