So, how long will a battery loco run on a single charge?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My GRS kitbashed Peckett loco, running on an LGB ToyTrain 0-4-0 motor block (with 24v Buehler motor) and powered by three 18650 li-ion 2.3Ah cells has just run continuously for 12h 40m!! I set her running while we entertained some friends for a meal, and I just let her carry on running until it got dark - and then ran her again the following morning until the battery protection circuitry stopped her (on 9.2v). My back of an envelope calculations suggest that she was only drawing an average of 0.18A, which I think is quite incredible, considering the Phoenix 2k2 soundcard was also active all the time. Who'd have thought Buehler motors were so efficient?

When people ask me what sort of run time should they expect from li-ion batteries, I usually say "It depends ......... but you can expect to get 4-5 hours". Maybe I will have to revise my estimate.

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
That's not a bad running time at all Rik. My Roundhouse battery diesel all vary on running times. The NDM-6 will run for eight hours, Harlech and Cricceth Castles about three, Little Johns and Bulldogs average four hours. My Mamod Boulton will run for ten hours and my Friograil steeple cab will run foe eight hours.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That performance is pretty phenomenal :clap::clap::clap:

But there are lots of variables: motor, gear ratio and train load

Improvements in electric motors are staggering - I was shown a 24v electric outboard motor for a boat the other day that was a fraction of the weight of a 12v outboard motor that I bought nearly 10 years ago.

Li-on technology is far superior to NIMh in some ways, but needs more careful charging practices. Even so, NiMh performance is still pretty good and charging is much simpler.

Gear ratios - I was originally advised (must be careful here because I am not an authority) that motors will take less out of a battery when they are running freely (higher revs) than when they are under heavy load (as in bottom end grunt). Thus you will get longer running from a lower geared loco than you would from a higher geared one.

Oh, and don't forget to oil the gearbox :D:D:D:D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think a lot of the anecdotal accounts of battery loco's only running for a short time, are down to older NiCad technology, and bad battery husbandry..

NiMH and Li-on technology gives better charge-densities, and a greater number of charge / discharge cycles before detrimental effects come into play..

The Orange starter set diesel I was running on 6 x NiMH at the weekend, did about six hours.. True that was light-engine, but a rather nasty slope, and the batteries were 'as is' having been charged about eight weeks ago.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
NIMh, 9 hours with my Aristo Critter.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So the answer would seem to be 'long enough'..
:):clap::clap::clap:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm more surprised by the clearly low power draw of the Phoenix, but it is an old one, so maybe they were more efficient then. The Buhlers are no surprise, they are famous for low current draw, as evidenced that a typical LGB starter transformer is about 0.7 amps.

Yes, mainly because motors are more efficient in higher speeds, and torque is constant, "taller gearing" should give you longer run time.

(we get that adjective from the final drive gearing on cars over here)

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A few weeks back we had a Battery only running session here. All NiMH Packs were in use for 6 hours as follows:-
No. Of batteries/Loco/Sound Card
12 Wizzy Cranks Brian Jones
15 Railcar My Loco Sound
14 Mallett MLS
12 LGB 2-6-2 MLS
All still had plenty of life left at the end of the day.
I do run like a real railway so there is no continuous running round and round in circles so that may help with running times. But the sound units are drawing power all the time so who knows on continuous running.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I do run like a real railway so there is no continuous running round and round in circles .

:punch::punch::punch:

I do run like a real railway, except after 4 or 5 minutes the view from the carriage window is very similar to something 4 or 5 minutes previously :think::think::think::think::think:

Reactions: 1 users