3D printing parts for a turnout

Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
Sweden
130222_3e4673394cde988fd7e8dbbdd3d3282a.jpg

Time for a little experiment.

I have some tight radius G scale Aristocraft turnouts that my steamers cant go thru.

So, instead of buying or handlaying new turnouts, I will try to rebuild them into #5's instead.

I used Fusion 360 to CAD design a new frog and the surrounding ties.

It will be 3D printed in ABS+ on my trusty old Wanhao Duplicator 4DS.

Then I can use the points and just alter the radius on the rails.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Good idea! :clap:
LGB R1s are like old shoes. Everyone has a pair or two but often not the best for running. :D
What about the electricery contacts?

EDIT: It is for AristoCraft points, not LGB. Silly me! :giggle:

Last edited:
simon@mgr

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
Spotted your post on Facebook, I thought it was a brilliant idea.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
View attachment 255530
Time for a little experiment.

I have some tight radius G scale Aristocraft turnouts that my steamers cant go thru.

So, instead of buying or handlaying new turnouts, I will try to rebuild them into #5's instead.

I used Fusion 360 to CAD design a new frog and the surrounding ties.

It will be 3D printed in ABS+ on my trusty old Wanhao Duplicator 4DS.

Then I can use the points and just alter the radius on the rails.
You may need to lengthen the Crossing and Stock Rails a little if you are using a smaller point to make a bigger one Radius Wise.
130236_c623e68bc9f8cafb843fff9ac1a07acc.png

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
and re-curve the diverging rails, I think even more tricky. I assume you are trying to make a switch that is curved all the way through the diverging route, i.e. including the rails coming from the frog, as per Jon's illustration? That also will need significant re-curving.

Greg

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I'll be watching this with interest. I've got some old track which I would like to make some points with a some stage

curtis

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Germany
Very creative! Also, those are some excellent CAD skills!

A question - is this for indoor or outdoor use? How would the printing resin hold up outside?

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK

A question - is this for indoor or outdoor use? How would the printing resin hold up outside?
Yes I was wondering about that but forgot to ask.

Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
Sweden

Thanks, they are meant to be outside. That's why I printed them in white, as white absorbes less heat. I will paint them though.

Graffen

Graffen

Registered
30 Aug 2016
Sweden
This is how far I've got.
This is a test, so there's bound to be some changes made.
130366_9076962931616754062c97756b4bb7cf.jpg

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
It is ABS so probably much the same as a LEGO block. Most of the thermal plastics used in 3D printing are of an engineering quality. They are, although not noticeably slightly porous so a a good host for mold etc. but a decent layer of paint will help with that and also help further protect from UV.
I'm not so sure that being white will stop absorbing heat once painted a dark colour. :think:

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Yep, once painted, the color of the plastic underneath is really of no consequence. I'm interested to see the point rails.

Also, FastTracks does not have a G scale jig listed, but I heard they would make one. I have used them in Z scale. Very helpful in cutting the rails and angles, which will have to be done in this case after re-curving the existing rails, but you could make a rail cutting jig yourself, even print one!

Greg