14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 322553
This is how a turnout has to look prototypical correct, regarding his sleepers/ties.
I can make anything you want if you are willing to go this route.
Regarding to the check/safety rail, your print is in good order.
For what i have found out is flange baring frogs do not work for me.
If printing is what you want, i would also like to suggest to make the space between the safety rail and your headrail a bit deeper.
A grain of sand can do some harm to your wheels.

Advice regarding pla: it will shrink in the sun, paint or no paint.
The pivoting point is above 30C shade, in sun the material temp is playing a big part, 60C is easy done.
At this temp pla can shrink up to 5%. it will also harden and get brittle over time.
When hot it will be very soft.
This is my experience.
I never tried pla+
Basically after my testing with pla, i did all in abs.

i think you will find a good starting point here.
i also think you want to dip your toe into 3d modeling.
Search in your windows computer for "3d builder".
This program is very easy, but o so difficult.
Why you have 3 choices, make a choice and you have again 3 choices, make one..... a n d ...you have again three choices.
You can make the ties higher or lower, you can adapt very easy the chars, even add very simple your wanted distance between the ties.

Scale this up to your scale.

I hope this was/is helpful.

ps here you go: i will delete this one in a couple of days, the chairs i dont had the time for it.
I am not putting my PLA+ points outside they are going inside a shed all my outside ones are brass either bought or homemade using treated timber (painted with timber decking oil) for sleepers.
I have some PLA+ that has been lying out on the layout, this is its second Australian summer temps in mid 30C, and shows no sign of shrinking,
I did look at the O-S system but decided not to use it as I think it is for O scale I would have to find a way of re scaling it to G scale,. Anybody know how to do that?
Is the turnout on Thingiverse printed in 1 piece, if it is I do not think it would fit on my build plate.
I have more than dipped my toe into 3 D modelling/printing I'm up to my ankles (have 2 printers) I use Tinkercad and also started playing with Sketchup.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
have some PLA+ that has been lying out on the layout, this is its second Australian summer temps in mid 30C, and shows no sign of shrinking,
i am going to try pla+, thanks for this.

I did look at the O-S system but decided not to use it as I think it is for O scale I would have to find a way of re scaling it to G scale,. Anybody know how to do that?
up scaling, or expand.
Make a figure/piece that is exactly 45mm long.
select the pieces you want to enlarge, done.

Is the turnout on Thingiverse printed in 1 piece, if it is I do not think it would fit on my build plate.
if its mine (and the others i put on my page) it will not fit in one go, or you must have a printer of 1 meter in length.
Most printers can be easy adjusted.
My Ender 5 was 50x50, now 100x50 with extra heating sensor stronger psu and frame adapted.

For cutting to size your bed look for a command "splitting"
But mine is prototypical correct!
I think i must make for you on mra1 scale? or a bit more crude?
from page 6 is getting intresting.

I really would advice to look for "3d builder" in your computer.
It can do so much more, then the other programs.

Regarding printing track, i have a usb stick with a lot of sleeper designs and chairs and rail codes.
you can pick what you want.
Look for them and upload them?
Most is NOT my own.
All for alu/steel strip, is all my own.

homemade using treated timber (painted with timber decking oil) for sleepers.
I think my link will give you all you need.
instead cutting the slots you could make a 2 motor drill and print only the chairs for you rail code.

Hope this was/is helpfull.

If you want a turnout or what ever for hand building or printing, i would be happy to draw/make you some
ps the turnout in the png and on thingyverse is 75cm long and 17cm wide.

With best regards Igor