3d Printed Emd Sw1500 And Emd Dda40x

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
In truth I think the whole thing would be a bit beyond me.

You see, I only masquerade as a modeller, I am, in fact, a devout bodger :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
The tech-talk is a weird language, but looking at your profile photo? Hey, I'm a Nikon man too :nod:

Reactions: 1 user

avant

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
6 Aug 2015
Best answers
I am so blown away ( american for impressed )... I just got a printrbot simple and would like to play around more with designs but for now need to learn more about printing stuff on it, would you be willing to share any or all your design such that I can sample print on my printer? I have a friend who's got a lot of the same rig built you do, raspberry, camera etc, for remote monitoring and he pointed me to the printerbot... it's has a 150mm square print area, so I'm not sure I can print the size you do...?

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
Avant,
Don't worry about the print area of your printer. If you can get hold of the relevant printing files you can split parts into smaller entities using (free) software and then print them on your machine

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
An excellent thread Kris.
You have pioneered the process - this is so helpful to others who learn from your hard work.

The day of "easy" 3D printing for most of us is fast approaching I think.

It is obviously easier to scan an existing object to replicate in 3D than it is to model it in a 3D package such as Revit to print off.

sn00zerman

Registered
27 Nov 2015
Belgium
www.digitalplayground.be
Best answers
Hello all,

You can indeed use netfab basic (free) to reslice the part, but I think with my model, it will give you a lot to think about.
I found it already difficult enough to make the parts fit on 20x20, so 15x15 would even be more difficult.
I can 3D scan (simply with skanect software and an xbox360 kinect sensor), but this is only usable for "organic" things, like people or animals etc. Not for trains or other stuff, it's not accurat enough for that. The dda40x is modelled in solidworks. If you want a 3D printer, make sure you have some 3D modelling experience, or you would always depend on others' designs ...

But don't be affraid of learning 3D modelling. AutoDesk (inventor) & Dassault (Solidworks) offer free trial versions. Autodesk even offers educational versions (in the broadest sentence of the word, so also valid for anyone eager to learn this stuff) for free, a valid legal 3 years license !
Don't bother with things like thinkercad etc ... They are to limited and are only good for real simpel stuff. Go directly for the "full monthy" ...

Also, there are more then enough good free tutorials on the web for this software.
I started using solidworks with a "step-by-step" guide, 13 parts, a few hundered pages.
I did part 1 till 4, spread over 2 evenings, I laid aside this tutorial, and started modelling in Solidworks :) I started small, with some housing for Arduino & Raspberry Pi, designed a few Christmas ornaments, made a hexapod etc ... If i need to know more info about a specific feature in the software, that I don't know about (yet), I look on youtube with specific search-words, and I always find a video tutorial about my specific questions, so if I can, I'm sure you can do it also :)

I wil put all stl files on thingiverse (for free ofcourse), when my loco is completely finished.
(I hope to get it finished in Q1 of 2016, but due to my ongoing health-issues, I can't promis anything) Sometimes I can work for days, other moments just an hour a day or so, and sometimes I don't even touch anything for days/weeks ... It all depends ... But one thing is for sure, one day it will be ready :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DannyEvelm

Registered
4 Nov 2019
United States
Best answers
sn00zerman sn00zerman are you happy with your silhouette cameo? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for going off topic

I'm looking for a vinyl cutter for some time now and can't make up my mind.

I mean I was looking through the net and read a bunch of reviews and didn't get smarter. It's like those reviews were written by people who have only read about the cutters.

I came across a different blog. The blogger is criticizing the brands. Maybe it's too much for my taste. Anyways I've read this Silhouette Cameo vs Cricut maker review and got me thinking. More like I have a bunch of questions.

Can it really cut 100+ materials? What about intentionally handicapping the machine so you are forced to buy different ones (curio)?

Any input is highly appreciated