3 ton mine car

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I came across these photos from the restoration of a 3 ton car from a coal mine in Carbondale, Pa. I think this is the style car I'll use for my mine tramway because the look pretty much dirt simple to build....
minecar16.jpg

minecar24.jpg

minecar25.jpg

minecar42.jpg

minecar60.jpg

minecar44.jpg

minecar45.jpg

minecar46.jpg

minemotor62.jpg

As soon as my $6 worth of plastic Lionel wheels arrive I'll start.....

Aljosha

Animals + their Surgery ;-), G/H0 Scale, Trumpet,
24 Oct 2009
Paris, France
Best answers
:)
I like the 'SAVE' on it!
:)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Those are the beasties.
Out of interest, what is the purple thing in the pictures with the Greyhound on it?
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice interesting set of sequential photos. Looks like you'll have to set up a production line!
Mick

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
Those are the beasties.
Out of interest, what is the purple thing in the pictures with the Greyhound on it?
JonD

Just to jump in it looks like a 1940s GMC Silverside. Ex Greyhound bus converted to an RV
Tony

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Just goes to show what can be done with some WD40 and black Hammerite :clap:

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I can't help wondering whether there is scope to produce something like that out of a standard Bachman "OO" scale Iron ore tippler wagon. The main bodywork could certainly be adapted, with simplification of the running gear as well. Something to think about, given I want a mine feeder line on my garden set up!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Well, the wheels came today!... enough for 6 cars. So I built 7 ore bodies and a mine flat (used for hauling timbers, rails, etc) -- which just means I need to scrounge some more wheels.... 8D
flatcar.jpg

I didn't have proper journals so I made them out of wood with a plastic bushing.... Four actually came out very free rolling, the other 2 are a bit stiff. Plans call for the dinky to only push two, so the stiff ones will hold the others from fouling the main (Nice how that worked out...)

I need to do the carbody side detail yet before I can paint. The wheels came with some ugly horn and hook things... like overgrown HO couplers. There was enough to do 6 cars, so I used them. They aren't fancy, but then again, they only cost me about $1.50 each to build
P3290001_01.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I couldn't decide whether to paint them black, or yellow, or ???? So they're primer red for now. They might just get oversprayed with flat black to tone them down a bit, and left that way...
P3300001.jpg

P3300002.jpg

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cripes you dont hang around do you !!!!!!! Are you free to come to uk and fill in some pot holes :clap:

Tony

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
It was raining outside, there was nothing but crap on the telly, and I was bored.

Besides, it took longer to lay out the parts for all 8 cars with a square and permanent marker - than it did to cut them with the scroll saw AND assemble them. I think I spent maybe 5 hours total on them, and it probably shows....

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
on the photos they look great and when you concider they are working trucks and more than likly only looked new for the first 10 minutes of their life they dont need to look perfect
all you need to do now is receate a weatherd paint job !!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony
BTW was i right about the Silverside