21E tram truck

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
And this is the tram with the top deck resting on lower deck along with some of the seats I've designed.

The truck fits perfectly. Just waiting on gears and motors, and I had to print up a set of 30mm wheels, but otherwise the only tweak I'll make is for the bearings, as they are a little loose. I'll thicken up the walls of the hub, so I can then drill them back out to a snug fit.

20221231_154753.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Philippe DUSSART

Registered
22 Feb 2016
Ostend
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

The same question, a different answer. I prefer wood, steel, brass, bronze and other traditional materials, like real trams.

1) Here is the construction of an Istanbul tram:

The truck is made in stainless steel, the axle boxes too.
- 24V Maxon motor (8 watt)
- brass gears
- brass bearings

The tram body is from Occre is improved as follows
- correct colours and lining
- water decals for correct destination boards, company logo, etc (as per Belgium factory drawings)
- new scale bow collector, footsteps, buffers

2) A tram from the "Tramway Electrique Ostende Littoral", private line that ran between Ostend and Westende (Belgium), prior to the take-over by the vicinal (SNCV)

This one is 100% own design, with laser cut wood and metal.
The Brill 21e side frames come from KW trams

Regards, Philippe
www.tramania.com

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely stunning

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Dear all,

The same question, a different answer. I prefer wood, steel, brass, bronze and other traditional materials, like real trams.

1) Here is the construction of an Istanbul tram:

The truck is made in stainless steel, the axle boxes too.
- 24V Maxon motor (8 watt)
- brass gears
- brass bearings

The tram body is from Occre is improved as follows
- correct colours and lining
- water decals for correct destination boards, company logo, etc (as per Belgium factory drawings)
- new scale bow collector, footsteps, buffers

2) A tram from the "Tramway Electrique Ostende Littoral", private line that ran between Ostend and Westende (Belgium), prior to the take-over by the vicinal (SNCV)

This one is 100% own design, with laser cut wood and metal.
The Brill 21e side frames come from KW trams

Regards, Philippe
www.tramania.com

Definitely nice work there! When you look at the relative costs and barriers to entry though it becomes very clear why someone might choose 3D printed and nylon gears instead. Also at least for me a fully enclosed gearbox is a must for running outside.

And this is the tram with the top deck resting on lower deck along with some of the seats I've designed.

The truck fits perfectly. Just waiting on gears and motors, and I had to print up a set of 30mm wheels, but otherwise the only tweak I'll make is for the bearings, as they are a little loose. I'll thicken up the walls of the hub, so I can then drill them back out to a snug fit.

View attachment 308378

Very nice! Good to see these finding some applications.