2 pin LED plug in lamp holder needed

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, i am converting a Lehmann Otto loco to battery & noticed the headlamp had a very handy LED plugin lamp holder that i would like to use on other projects. Has one seen these for sale anywhere.? Thanks.
View attachment 323620

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, i am converting a Lehmann Otto loco to battery & noticed the headlamp had a very handy LED plugin lamp holder that i would like to use on other projects. Has one seen these for sale anywhere.? Thanks.
View attachment 323620
I saw some very recently, while looking for something else, unfortunately cannot remember where, probably eBay, there were in a packet of 10. They are definitely out there somewhere.

David

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I use the plug/socket range used for radio control servos. They are at 1/10 of an inch pitch or 2.54mm. As well as the usual 3 connection one use for servos, they are available in 1 , 2, and 4 connection plugs or sockets and come ready wired or with loose crimp on pins to connect to your own wire. Most good radio control shops would have them or lots on ebay etc.

We use them on the end of carriages, and locos etc. so that an LED fitted white headlight, or red tail light can be plugged in to form a properly lit 'end of train' lamp showing, and the guard can change the red light to the other end of the train while the loco is being run around for the return journey on our end to end garden railway. it all adds to the fun.

Hope that helps. David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What is wrong with the existing plug-in bulb holders?
You can get a LED in those..

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Are these what you are talking about, got them a few years ago, but are LGB spares:
IMG_1974.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Are these what you are talking about, got them a few years ago, but are LGB spares:
View attachment 323628
That looks close enough. Trouble is LGB are now Marklin & when you go to the site it flicks between German & English & cant seem to be able to search the site.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! Good alternative for many things i have planned. But these plugs are 13mm long & the one i was looking at is 2.5mm & very handy for those tight spots.
View attachment 323623
True, the length is the down side. Where space is tight, I sometimes use a small 5mm LED spacer up against the LED to hold the legs neatly and have something to attach to the host item, then bend them at right angles before either soldering or using a connector, but a shorter connector would be handy, I agree.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
What is wrong with the existing plug-in bulb holders?
You can get a LED in those..

PhilP
Hi Phil, nothing wrong with existing, they just seemed a more useful holder for some of those tight spots on other projects.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmmh, don't forget, that you have to use resistors, when using LED*s. The bulbs using 18V.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! Thanks for that. Unfortunately for me i won't deal with them. They have the worst website to follow in they dont say if the cost is for one item or more, to the stage i was buying nearly a thousand pounds worth of track & they wanted to charge P&P, when it clearly said free P&P over a certain amount. But they did me a favor in that i purchased everything from Kent garden railway & saved about £100. I also noticed they want £5:99 P&P & should be £3:70 inc padded envelope.
But thanks anyway.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately for me i won't deal with them
You've clearly had a bad experience, but some of your criticisms aren't really fair. On the item under discussion, their website clearly states that there are 10 in a pack, and they have 4 packs in stock . . .

1707555314779.png

On the postage question, I can understand that the postage (on orders under £40) seems high when you are buying only small items but, on the question of your aborted order for track, they clearly state that they have "the right to charge a premium on large/oversize/overweight packages" and they clearly quoted you a cost for postage before you committed (or not in this case) to buy . . .

1707555438522.png

You also have to remember that the delivery cost not only includes the postage fee, but also the cost of materials and (maybe) staff time.

I have made purchases from GRS over many years (but not so much recently, as I "have all I need" ;)) and the experience can be "a little variable", shall we say, but they do hold enormous stocks, they stock items not available elsewhere in the UK (as in this case?), produce their own items, and we'd all be worse off without them.

Maybe a forumite local to GRS might pop in for you, and post them on at cost. I'll let you know if I'm heading that way.

Cheers

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You've clearly had a bad experience, but some of your criticisms aren't really fair. On the item under discussion, their website clearly states that there are 10 in a pack, and they have 4 packs in stock . . .

View attachment 323648

On the postage question, I can understand that the postage (on orders under £40) seems high when you are buying only small items but, on the question of your aborted order for track, they clearly state that they have "the right to charge a premium on large/oversize/overweight packages" and they clearly quoted you a cost for postage before you committed (or not in this case) to buy . . .

View attachment 323649

You also have to remember that the delivery cost not only includes the postage fee, but also the cost of materials and (maybe) staff time.

I have made purchases from GRS over many years (but not so much recently, as I "have all I need" ;)) and the experience can be "a little variable", shall we say, but they do hold enormous stocks, they stock items not available elsewhere in the UK (as in this case?), produce their own items, and we'd all be worse off without them.

Maybe a forumite local to GRS might pop in for you, and post them on at cost. I'll let you know if I'm heading that way.

Cheers

David
Well said David. Over the years I have had a lot of dealings with GRS and found their service ok. GRS Webb site can be a bit of a maze at times but cant they all? Many do get agitated about postage costs, but free post has to be included somewhere in the retailers margin after all just like those of us still working they have business costs to pay, light heat for the shop etc plus the costs of stock some of which can be laying around for years with no return till it is sold. Personally I think we are lucky to have such a shop like GRS and the others that pamper for our many and sometimes obscure needs.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 323648

View attachment 323649

Cheers

David
Well said David. Over the years I have had a lot of dealings with GRS and found their service ok. GRS Webb site can be a bit of a maze at times but cant they all? Many do get agitated about postage costs, but free post has to be included somewhere in the retailers margin after all just like those of us still working they have business costs to pay, light heat for the shop etc plus the costs of stock some of which can be laying around for years with no return till it is sold. Personally I think we are lucky to have such a shop like GRS and the others that pamper for our many and sometimes obscure needs.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit generally the cost of postage can be expensive comparatively (to the price of the item) for small inexpensive items, but it all depends on your need. Often good on Amazon or eBay are more expensive than going to the shop website, but often the price includes p&p, swings and roundabouts.
But if these are the item you ( collectors collectors ) want, and cannot find them elsewhere, you will have to "suck it up".

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit than when needing to order small items, the relatively high P&P is a real pain, sometimes equalling of even exceeding the cost of what I want. On the other hand, when I used to be able to drive, the cost of the petrol, to get there and back, was far in excess of the postage costs, so definitely swings and roundabouts. These days, of course, I don't have a choice.

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
At least its still going! Personally I hate buying off websites or ebay etc. Personal choice, I hasten to clarify, the downside to that is there's not many model shops around to actually visit, and visiting somewhere like GRS tends to have a lasting effect on one's bank account

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I am sure many have had a good experience & i was just unlucky with the person i spoke to on the phone asking to clarify what the price included on the website. He was adamant about the extra postel cost & wasn't sure on amounts listed as the person that could confer this wasn't about & he would get them to call me. Didn't get a call.
But! if i purchase the 4 packs, they would charge me £11.00 P&P. I am sure these are made in China & will keep trolling their sites until i get lucky at a 1/4 of the price.
Thanks anyway, there was some good tips came up.