2 new Books Railway Accidents and Incidents and Scalextric Colletibles by Jonathan Mountford

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have mentioned both of these in passing on the Forum, the Accident one is now available and the Scalextric one should be available pretty soon. I should mention that I have been involved with helping on the production of both Books with research in the Accidents one and the Scalextric one has many pictures taken on my Garden Railway, including one of the cover pictures with Snow. Yes we did a photo shoot in my Garden during the beast from the east days.

Accidents and Incidents. £14.99
This has an interesting take on the subject by having an OS Map of each location for the incidents within. Many are small odd ball events rather than the many well known ones, though a few of these are included. Ambermule being my favourite entry, see if you can count how many mistakes were involved in this Acident if you get the book.
image.jpeg

Scalextric Collectibles. £14.99
This is a Picture Book of the many odd ball cars that have been created by the varying different iterations if the Scalextric Brand but also a few by dediceted enthusiasts as well.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
That's going to be a pretty large volume on Scalextric by now. My old hobby............and business making a range of cars. Swapped it all for this hobby. Needed to get out a bit more.........in the garden :D Max

Mail MX 00 grid shot.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's going to be a pretty large volume on Scalextric by now. My old hobby............and business making a range of cars. Swapped it all for this hobby. Needed to get out a bit more.........in the garden :D Max

View attachment 244522
I have edited the original to show the price. It is not a Catalogue of all items, probably more described as a pot-poori. I would imagine that Jon may have one or two of tour efforts. Did you market yourself as Maxi-Model? If so will mention that you are a Forum Poster.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Did you market yourself as Maxi-Model? If so will mention that you are a Forum Poster.

Yes indeed Jon. But my stuff would not be classed a "Scalextric Collectible", although they gave me some very useful assistance in various ways over the 7 years I operated. And one of my efforts appears as my icon. I likes my old Scalex, all sold on now though to pay for this hobby. Max

Track East Grand bridge.jpg
Part of my '60's (and other eras) themed layout.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I never had a track, but I used to build the cars, 'cos you could buy all the bits, chassis, motors, wheels, tyres back in the day.

Had a VW beetle, Corvette Stingray, Porsche (one of the unusual ones - gotta check da number) Marcos Mantis - they were the successful ones - ooh and the one that got me going, the Revell open top racer ( gotta go check again) :think::think::think:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I never had a track, but I used to build the cars, 'cos you could buy all the bits, chassis, motors, wheels, tyres back in the day.

Had a VW beetle, Corvette Stingray, Porsche (one of the unusual ones - gotta check da number) Marcos Mantis - they were the successful ones - ooh and the one that got me going, the Revell open top racer ( gotta go check again) :think::think::think:

Ah, a Marcos Mantis - a vac-form GT (Gordon Tapsell) Models body by any chance ? They made some nice stuff in both 1:24 and 1:32. I was into the 1:24 "commercial" (mostly AMF, the 10 pin bowling people) raceway scene in the late '60's and had a Mantis too. Another member on this forum, to my knowledge, was into the same thing ;). Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, a Marcos Mantis - a vac-form GT (Gordon Tapsell) Models body by any chance ? They made some nice stuff in both 1:24 and 1:32. I was into the 1:24 "commercial" (mostly AMF, the 10 pin bowling people) raceway scene in the late '60's and had a Mantis too. Another member on this forum, to my knowledge, was into the same thing ;). Max
It certainly was a vac-form body - which had to be painted and lined from the inside - but I wouldn't know who made it.

The Revell kit that started it all off was the Cooper Cobra (which I immediately modified with wider wheels and tyres).

The Porsche was a Japanese kit, with a chassis working in the same way as the Revell chassis in that the motor formed a part of the spine - I think it might have been a 904, again with wider rear wheels added and some small additions to the wheel arches; not quite prototypical but better presented than a lot of rubbish that was being put on the tracks.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As for the Stingray, I lent it to a couple of lads from the church boys club where I helped, as they were planning a trip to the Vineyard in Richmond which had a pay to play circuit.

I was reliably informed that the Stingray had some impressive speed down the back straight :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

..................... before the operator forgot to lift off in time, and it did the high step off before making its appointment with the wall :tmi::tmi::tmi::tmi:

I kept the car for a good while, with the A-pillars broken and the roof significantly closer to the waistline than was normal :emo::emo::emo:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I had the Minis. Was forever stuffing the motors, they were open frame, and the frequent fores excursions into the threadbare damaged the windings.
Scalectric, to me, was a 'complementry diversion' from model railroading. That was 50 years ago, now.