2-4-2 rogers

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to remember if this engine ever had a coal box on the back end, vaguely remember seeing one but there parts break down doesn't show one, they later brought out a sloped back tender to add to the engine but it was a saddle tanker and that really doesn't make much sense, think it was really designed for use with their 0-4-0 switcher and it came with a small coal box at the end. So if anybody's memory is better or has pictures I would be interested as I'm planning on kit bashing one and come up with a prairie like this one
black hills engine

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think it ever did.

It's had a couple of roofs - one with a bit of overhang, but I don't think it was ever envisaged as a 'tank' engine i.e. tender-less :shake::shake:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Trying to remember if this engine ever had a coal box on the back end, vaguely remember seeing one but there parts break down doesn't show one, they later brought out a sloped back tender to add to the engine but it was a saddle tanker and that really doesn't make much sense, think it was really designed for use with their 0-4-0 switcher and it came with a small coal box at the end. So if anybody's memory is better or has pictures I would be interested as I'm planning on kit bashing one and come up with a prairie like this one
black hills engine
I know of no factory coal or wood boxes behind the cab. There have no doubt been adaptions from other engines. I really like the idea. I have several Rogers egines that run & smoke very well.

---Hutch

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think it ever did.

It's had a couple of roofs - one with a bit of overhang, but I don't think it was ever envisaged as a 'tank' engine i.e. tender-less :shake::shake:
well found this on George Schreyer web site (The Aristo model of the Rogers 2-4-2 has not been manufactured in about 8 years. The original model was a 2-4-2T but apparently so many people added tenders that Aristo decided to forgo the coal bunker and include a switcher type slope back tender with a very basic chuff only sound system.)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
well found this on George Schreyer web site (The Aristo model of the Rogers 2-4-2 has not been manufactured in about 8 years. The original model was a 2-4-2T but apparently so many people added tenders that Aristo decided to forgo the coal bunker and include a switcher type slope back tender with a very basic chuff only sound system.)
Interesting - while I have seen at least one photo of a 1:1 Rogers with coal bunker (on the New York elevated I think), I've never seen a picture of the early Aristo version.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Just found one on pinterest that has the short cab and is bright blue and the rear of the cab is solid except for windows and has the short roof and was told the only came in red and yellow-lots of stuff out there with no records

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just found one on pinterest that has the short cab and is bright blue and the rear of the cab is solid except for windows and has the short roof and was told the only came in red and yellow-lots of stuff out there with no records
Yeah, the one I have is like that and the box is REA rather than the yellow Aristocraft, but there is no actual coal bunker

Reactions: 1 user

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
funny I found this on GRW but looking closely the rivets on it match the ones on the side of the cab but original didn't have rivets which tells me it is an add-on but it looks good http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d923b3127cce8ad9defbacc500000016100AYsmzJm2asmIA
also found this on GSC but it's a real one. Funny ever one seems to remember the tender being brought out for the rogers but I remember the tender was introduced at the same time the 0-4-0 switcher was and a slopped back tender would have been appropriate for the switcher and not the saddle tank engine, but doesn't really matter, but then again the switcher came with a bunker on the back, go figurehttps://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/rodgers-2-4-2-respray.310635/

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I think the prototypes ran on standard gauge elevated lines in the USA.
The model has separate modular gearboxes for each driver so good for kit bashing.
The earlier REA model has chrome wheels and the later AristoCraft one has blackened wheels.
The cab is big enough to pass as F scale. :happy:

Wathers 1989 catalog

Rogers2-4-2_5565.JPGRogers2-4-2_5566.JPG

This Cuban cane locomotive looks similar

Rogers2-4-2.jpg

Attachments

• Rogers2-4-2_5566.JPG
    Rogers2-4-2_5566.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I run mine with my 1:20.3 stock no problem :nod: :nod:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My old REA Rogers didn't come with a tender, but I fitted it with a DCC decoder and ran it with an Aristo slope-back and with a power connector between the two to improve pickups and power the rear light from the decoder.
IMG_0825.JPG