1:8 'Liila' Quarry Hunslet Build

alecescolme

Trains, Model Engineering, Cars
17 Oct 2010
Over Kellet, Carnforth
www.alecescolme.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not 45mm, but hopefully someone will be interested.
I joined my local Model Engineering society just over a year ago and have become busy at the track. The covers the Lancaster and Morecambe area (and much further), the website is http://www.bumpkinworld.co.uk < Link To here. We have 3 1/2, 5 and 7 1/4 gauges all at ground level with a focus on real railway practices, we have a signal box with air operated interlocking points and signaling.

A member of the club very kindly offered to teach me how to use a lathe and milling machine in our spare time (he has commercial grade machines that he uses to custom machine parts for customers). Under his guidance I built a double-acting oscillating engine. This taught me the basics how to use the equipment, having never properly used a lathe before.

In the summer I bought a mini-lathe as a start for my own workshop, since then I have been collecting some of the other stuff I needed. My lathe is surprisingly powerful for most tasks, but at times I still use a members workshop.

I visited another club members workshop to get assistance on getting my lathe fully setup (we both have the same lathe), where he offered me a started model of Lilla to the Ross Harrison drawings. I gave it some consideration and accepted his generous offer.
What I got was a assembled chassis built to an excellent standard, wheels and a box of un-machined castings.

Lately I have been making parts for the loco (mainly the plumbing fittings) and have made a start on tackling the cylinder castings.

This is what hopefully I might end up with:
Lilla_Beddgelert_2011.jpg

To be continued...

Alec

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
what lathe did you buy,,, its really handy having someone to show you howto use it although you tube it great for videos showing how to do things

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Its so much easier when someone shows you - I'm no great shakes as a machinist but I was useless & dangerous until an old boy took the time to show me what to do.
I know your track - its the only one that SWMBO is happy to visit for a picnic - and lets face it LILLA is the ideal model for it. Best of luck, and I hope it goes well.

alecescolme

Trains, Model Engineering, Cars
17 Oct 2010
Over Kellet, Carnforth
www.alecescolme.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the encouragement. Dave I bought a Sieg C3, which has been upgraded to have locking screws on each axis and a quick change toolpost.

Yesterday and todays job was the blower connection that fits on the outside of the smokebox- by the oil cans in the above Wikipedia photo.
Yesterday I turned the body from some 3/8 square brass, then I made the rounded side by off-centering it in the 4 jaw chuck, finally I filed it to the correct shape. Here are the components I made:
2.jpg

Ready for Silver Solder:
3.jpg

Assembled:
4.jpg

Next job is finishing the 2 clack valves.

Alec