1:24 scale Routemaster bus

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Just finishing this off before having a go at my Regner Max and thought I'd show you it in case anyone fancies building one as a trackside ornament. It's the Revell 'London Bus' and retails at £39.99:

Bus008.jpg

It's an excellent kit (but with one or two niggling errors) and, although it will look a tiny bit :rofl: out of place on the Crawley Down Light Railway, it's a model with some presence! :clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice model - looks like the lengthened version? When I heard about it I fancied buying one (couldn't afford the diecast D/D's).

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
That looks great!
I also find the diecast buses a bit too expensive, so will definitely be getting one of these! :D

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely an RML with the small extra window in the centre of the saloons. Tottenham (AR) shed had a number of these for the 76. As to Crawley (Downs), Crawley shed (CY) had only RCLs - same general layout but green, of course, and with platform doors.

GH

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The diecast ones have dropped in price of late - or rather, some of the liveries have - as I've seen one at a show for under £50, which isn't a lot more than the kit, though you don't have the "pleasure" of making it (and it's an RM rather than an RML).

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Old Tom said:
It's an excellent kit (but with one or two niggling errors) and, although it will look a tiny bit :rofl: out of place on the Crawley Down Light Railway, it's a model with some presence! :clap:
I saw this reviewed in a magazine a month or so ago. Must admit I was a bit disappointed when I saw that they'd decided to choose the Routemaster again rather than something that saw more widespread service. I suppose they think it's a safer bet?

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, it really is an RML. The RMLs have 4 1/2 windows per lower deck saloon (as in the picture) plus a similar half bay upstairs, whereas the RMs have only 4. This enabled them to accommodate an extra 8 passengers. Robbs' book on LT central area RM allocations gives a very long list of possible Tottenham RML numbers that could be used for the model and shows a picture of RML 2479 on the 76 in the plain livery with just the roundel.

BTW £50 may sound a bit steep - and is - but the equivalent 1:24 RT a few years ago came in at around £100. Tempting but... no.

GH

GH

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
pghewett said:
Sorry, it really is an RML. The RMLs have 4 1/2 windows per lower deck saloon (as in the picture) plus a similar half bay upstairs, whereas the RMs have only 4. This enabled them to accommodate an extra 8 passengers. Robbs' book on LT central area RM allocations gives a very long list of possible Tottenham RML numbers that could be used for the model and shows a picture of RML 2479 on the 76 in the plain livery with just the roundel.

BTW £50 may sound a bit steep - and is - but the equivalent 1:24 RT a few years ago came in at around £100. Tempting but... no.

GH

GH

Yes, it is the stretched RML (going by the number of posts on bus/model forums - but I'm no expert) but the main complaint seems to be that the model is based on a restored prototype and consequently has lots of 'elf and safety' transfers that are totally spurious for a bus that's in service and that the adverts are wrong!
I'll give you an example of the transfer sheet being rubbish. This is what the capacity sign says:
Passenger Capacity 77
Upper Slaoon 40
Lowers Sallon 40
Standing lower saloon 5
Scuse me?!
As I said, an excellent kit but beware if you want to build a proper replica.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
pghewett said:

GH
The diecast one is an RM, the plastic one is an RML.
I think after 32 years in the 12" to the foot bus industry I know the difference!!:D
and I can't be bothered to buy one either..........

The 1:24 DMS model was the more useful one for representing other operators (after LT sold them all off), but the price of that one started at £150 and never seemed to drop much lower.

Of course the 1:24 Bedford OB is the most universal type they have produced in that scale so far, but still haven't been tempted by one of those either. Might do if they do a Mulleys of Ixworth one, though.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Shame its yet another Routemaster model, a wasted oppotunity in my book.

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Miamigo259 said:
Of course the 1:24 Bedford OB is the most universal type they have produced in that scale so far, but still haven't been tempted by one of those either. Might do if they do a Mulleys of Ixworth one, though.

I've got a 1:24 OB, it's the Original Classics version in Southdown colours (with lights!):
BedfordOB002.jpg

Got it for £30 off evilbay and always fancied trying to convert it to another livery. It comes apart very easily and it would be an easy re-spray job.....but the transfers might be a bit of a problem :(

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Raises the interesting question of what would be a good universally useful model for UK modellers. For accompanying light rail in the immediate post war period, the OB certainly or perhaps some form of Bristol halfcab single decker but later, into the RM era, definitely not a London vehicle- a Leyland Leopard, perhaps or a Bristol MW?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Finished!

OK, rule 8 applies: the side adverts shouldn't be there.... but they dooo look rather nice! :D

2c10128909ea4319949d74c04dd715cb.jpg

782c57f0ed16435b84a8be197b7d6c2c.jpg

21200862592b43539b1cb6e0b62ffd8b.jpg

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
A Guy Arab Utility, Leyland PD2, Leyland Tiger TS8, saw service across the UK, & Tigers went to Austrailia!
More recent buses could be either a Atlantean, National, or Bristol VR ?:clap:
P.S. Nice job Tom :clap:

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very good! Interior burgundy trim/moquette/Sung yellow ceiling etc especially nice. 2273 was at AR in the back end of '65/'66, so entirely right.

GH

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
its a beautifull model to be proud off:clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, and I have swung on those poles :D:D:D:D:D

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Now you have posted more photos, I'm really taken by it. Niggles aside, its a great model for the money!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice model indeed. I'd like to see an RF come out in 1:24.
I drove an RM at Tolworth when they were being stored after having been taken out of service. After a few years of driving omo buses it was quite an experience.
Here's a little fact, my mum was the first woman to drive a bus in London, as it was seen as a only a man's job at the time. She applied dozens of times before they gave in and agreed to train her just to shut her up with the vision that there was no way she could pass the test or control such a vehicle. She passed first time and continued to drive them until her death in '96.

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
R M L best bus I have had the pleasure of driving far more driver friendly then some other tupes of bus that have come about in the last 40 years or so:):):)