1:20.3 wheel trucks

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks has anyone on here ever tried to 3d print g scale American trucks??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-164159.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-164159.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 0

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't, as I thought the side members wouldn't be rigid enough. Cast whitemetal and injection moulded polymer have rather different characteristics from ABS and PLA, which I found to be a bit 'short', i.e. prone to fracturing. But things may have moved on, as I haven't done any 3D printing since before Lockdown 1.

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
I havent, But I am going to have a go at some point. Bogie wagons are a bit big for my little train set.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think I'm with Rik - bearing in mind that the original question was specifically about Bachmann 1:20.3 trucks, which have an element of springing in them, and the way that an occasional Bachmann truck will snap if that spring movement is restricted by a rough casting.

Now, if there was a 3D filament that allowed a bit of flexibility, it might, (I don't know, I'm only saying might) stand up to the rigours of life under a heavy 1:20.3 freight car.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't, as I thought the side members wouldn't be rigid enough. Cast whitemetal and injection moulded polymer have rather different characteristics from ABS and PLA, which I found to be a bit 'short', i.e. prone to fracturing. But things may have moved on, as I haven't done any 3D printing since before Lockdown 1.
A buddy of mine 3d printed replacement trucks for me for my Connie water tender successfully, but he's moved abroad somewhere, somebody else must have printed such trucks I'm sure of it

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I think the problem Paul has had, was similar to mine and a few others. A faulty batch of Mazak castings that afflicted a run of Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 rolling stock, produced a few years ago. The issue was delt with for Stateside customers who flagged it to them at the time. Those lucky few got free replacement parts then but this problem of the offer of replacements was never, seemingly, communicated to their distributors in other territories. Like the UK/EU. By the time one of my boxcars started failing, broken truck frame, it was too late to get replacements. And the evidence had been disposed of.

Over time the other truck failed, all side steps, a bolster and (just a couple of weeks ago) a coupling shank. I have managed to replace these with, respectively, Accucraft, Ozark whitemetal reproductions, bitza Accucraft/Bachmann remains bolted through to the boxcar's floor and a USAT coupler suitably modified. All bar the Accucraft trucks and sidesteps were sourced from the "bits box". Never throw anything away, you never know how and when they may become useful with a bit of resourcefulness.

Paul, you might want to check some of the UK 16mm offerings. There are some items out there, that are supplied or can be regauged for 45mm use, that offer a fair approximation of the US style item. Max

Edit - Just checked the Bachmann site. Chargeable replacements are still available Truck - Dark Brown (G Spectrum Rolling Stock) [G880X-00G03-DB] - $48.24 : Bachmann Trains Online Store!

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I print LGB type trucks for under my Wagons if I printed them in one, then the vertical legs would be as strong as a bit of cheese. But if you re-think things and print them so the legs lay flat on the bed and print in PETG. then it's almost impossible to snap one , they are then screwed to the body of the redesigned piviot base. So with though it's possible to print most things . There is also stronger filimants you can use.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I think the problem Paul has had, was similar to mine and a few others. A faulty batch of Mazak castings that afflicted a run of Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 rolling stock, produced a few years ago. The issue was delt with for Stateside customers who flagged it to them at the time. Those lucky few got free replacement parts then but this problem of the offer of replacements was never, seemingly, communicated to their distributors in other territories. Like the UK/EU. By the time one of my boxcars started failing, broken truck frame, it was too late to get replacements. And the evidence had been disposed of.

Over time the other truck failed, all side steps, a bolster and (just a couple of weeks ago) a coupling shank. I have managed to replace these with, respectively, Accucraft, Ozark whitemetal reproductions, bitza Accucraft/Bachmann remains bolted through to the boxcar's floor and a USAT coupler suitably modified. All bar the Accucraft trucks and sidesteps were sourced from the "bits box". Never throw anything away, you never know how and when they may become useful with a bit of resourcefulness.

Paul, you might want to check some of the UK 16mm offerings. There are some items out there, that are supplied or can be regauged for 45mm use, that offer a fair approximation of the US style item. Max

Edit - Just checked the Bachmann site. Chargeable replacements are still available Truck - Dark Brown (G Spectrum Rolling Stock) [G880X-00G03-DB] - $48.24 : Bachmann Trains Online Store!
Thankyou for the info, could you suggest some 16mm websites for me as I wouldn't know where to start.

Please

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I printed several of them, but most i printed (100+) are soviet.
They work really well without any bearings just some wd40 on the axle and some in the axle box.
I even did some experiments with different type of oils, greases and fats.
Even after a month outside in hot cold very dry and very wet wheater wd40 beats them all

Sorry i was not able to dig out my first thread about making them.
On thingyverse you will find also some usa style bogie's but some have really to big couplers?

With best regards Igor

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I printed several of them, but most i printed (100+) are soviet.
They work really well without any bearings just some wd40 on the axle and some in the axle box.
I even did some experiments with different type of oils, greases and fats.
Even after a month outside in hot cold very dry and very wet wheater wd40 beats them all

Sorry i was not able to dig out my first thread about making them.
On thingyverse you will find also some usa style bogie's but some have really to big couplers?

With best regards Igor
Hi igor. Thankyou for the info,, my problem is I have no printer and I was hoping to find someone who wouldn't mind printing me a set