Zimo MX820D A Tiny Waterproof Switch Decoder

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I have been looking for a small switch decoder and came across this from Zimo. It`s an update from their MX 82 decoder with some interesting additions.
It is designed to switch one output but is capable of switching two motors together as it`s rating is 3A and can cope with a maximum of 40v track voltage.
Waterproofing is achieved by shrink wrapping and then resin filling.
If you want to install inside an Lgb Epl drive it`s small enough to fit where the supplementary switch usually goes or if you want to use a switch like I do it will sit in place of the screw connections and be connected directly.
An additional useful feature are the connected switch input wires which trigger the drive by applying a positive voltage to a single wire.
A Massoth sense track section feeding the decoder track voltage is ideal for this as a solid state alternative to reed switches or track contacts.
You can also use the outputs to switch a two aspect colour signal instead of an EPL drive.

Attachments

• MX820 2.jpg
    MX820 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 30
  • MX 820 1.jpg
    MX 820 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 29

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting. They're smaller than the NCE Switch-Kats I normally use.

How much are these little chaps? My last bunch of NCE Switch-Kat's were about £14 each (plus cost of a small project box and some sealant) but that was a while ago.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
They came in at £24 each Nick which given the size, waterproofing and features I thought wasn't too bad.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm used to the LGB decoders which basically have two input wires and two output contacts. What are all the wires on this one for?

Rik

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
There are are two wires which are one each each for the switch inputs and the blue is the common positive for when you use the decoder for colour light signals Rik
The manual is here

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX820E.pdf