XLS sound decoder

Wistow vale rlwy

Registered
20 Feb 2010
WISTOW NORTH YORKSHIRE
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone heard anything from Jeremy? ? Dragon Gscale?
I am unable to ?phone him as I am away working in Australia; I am in the mine on the ?dog-watch? (night-shift) during his phone-hours and my e-mails have gone unanswered.
I am wanting to purchase a Massoth XLS sound decoder from him, but prior to this I would like some answers to the following:-
I am wanting to retro-fit sound to my LGB 21950 OBB 2095 diesel loco.
Our esteemed forum members seam to say the way to go is with the Massoth XLS sound decoder. I was going to go with one of the self-contained LGB sound units for ease of installation, but it sounds like quality and flexibility of the Massoth unit is far superior. It comes with a speaker and all parts to install?
At the moment my OBB 2095 is fitted with a Massoth E-motion XL decoder which will not go to waste as I would like to fit it to another loco, this being the LGB Duo switcher, (LGB 21900) - the one with the automated couplers. I read the blurb for the XL decoder and it says that 6 additional function connectors are available for uncoupling functions? - Am I correct in thinking I could do this?

Can anyone help?

Best regards, Graham, Wistow Vale Rlwy.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I gave up with Jeremny after many e mails I sent and phone calls were unanswered. Try Mark (Muns on this forum) You can contact by PM or
http://www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk/
He is very good and can answer most questions, if not all. What he doesn't know he will find out for you. Excellent service.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My Duo was fitted with an L decoder programmed by Muns.

He's your man here and he may know about Jeremy too....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
100% agree with Nemo and Giz, Muns is the chap you need to talk to!

There are two ways to go with your 2095 - either an XLS as you suggest, and re-use the XL somewhere else - OR add an S unit (sound only) to the existing XL. Muns is showing the S as temporarily out of stock at the moment, but I think they should be back shortly - from what I understand, Massoth is re-designing the S unit's circuit board before making another batch.
Whichever option you go for, I'd suggest a nice BIG speaker - the Visaton FRS7 sounds lovely in one of these locos!

About using the XL in your 21900 DUO KoF, I think you will find you need some extra circuitry in there, such as one of the Massoth relay boards, to operate the couplers. The XL will not be a simple plug'n'play fit, I'm afraid. The NEW Massoth powered couplers will run straight off the chip output, but I don't think the old LGB ones will.

Again, Mark (Muns) should be able to give you a lot more help on this.

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
for fast prompt service with the knolage to go with it, and back up.. ask mum..

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Eh?? My Mum doesn't understand the TV remote, let alone DCC decoder installs...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(No offence, Mike, but that one was just too good to let go!) ;)

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ahh but john.. dont forget.. Mum always knows best:D

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I wouldnt ask my mum either, she might know best but computers, trains and DCC are things she knows nowt about.

Obviously the solutions (XLS or S) are possible in your 2095. How old is the XL currently being used?

The XL could be used in the DUO and (as mentioned elsware on this forum) Massoth have published a circuit diagram to control the uncouplers without the need to use relays.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Hi,

I wouldnt ask my mum either, she might know best but computers, trains and DCC are things she knows nowt about.

Obviously the solutions (XLS or S) are possible in your 2095. How old is the XL currently being used?

The XL could be used in the DUO and (as mentioned elsware on this forum) Massoth have published a circuit diagram to control the uncouplers without the need to use relays.

Ooh, now that's interesting, Mark - do you have a link to that diagram?

Graham - if your DUO 21900 is the same as the one I had (and sold on to Gizzy), you may well find it is a 3-wire (pre-D type) gearbox, which means that to chip it you've got to get inside the workings and fit a new yellow lead to one motor terminal (as well as insulating that terminal from the pin that connects to the white wire) before you can install the XL. Not a difficult job by any means, but just be aware that it is something that would need doing.

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
muns said:
Hi,

Ooh, now that's interesting, Mark - do you have a link to that diagram?

Graham - if your DUO 21900 is the same as the one I had (and sold on to Gizzy), you may well find it is a 3-wire (pre-D type) gearbox, which means that to chip it you've got to get inside the workings and fit a new yellow lead to one motor terminal (as well as insulating that terminal from the pin that connects to the white wire) before you can install the XL. Not a difficult job by any means, but just be aware that it is something that would need doing.

Jon.
Tis on the German Massoth forum - you will need an account to see it.... http://forum.massoth.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=195