xls decoder into a lgb s22741 spreewald

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All, Many thanks to all for your previous help with the Piko locos which are now all sorted,

Im looking at putting a XLS decoder into the LGB 22741 2-6-0 Spreewald loco but am having problems working out where it goes !!!

On the Piko locos I took the boards out and replaced them with XLS decoders but will this work with the Spreewald, or is it a case of plugging the decoder in ?

Any help please as I cannot find anything about this here unless ive missed it.

Many thanks for your help, stay safe and keep on running !!!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All, Many thanks to all for your previous help with the Piko locos which are now all sorted,

Im looking at putting a XLS decoder into the LGB 22741 2-6-0 Spreewald loco but am having problems working out where it goes !!!

On the Piko locos I took the boards out and replaced them with XLS decoders but will this work with the Spreewald, or is it a case of plugging the decoder in ?

Any help please as I cannot find anything about this here unless ive missed it.

Many thanks for your help, stay safe and keep on running !!!
According to the books it will have an on board decoder fitted. Thus it looks like you will have to do the same as you have with the Piko I think. Someone will tell if I am wrong on this.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It has a factory fitted MTS decoder so you would have to remove that. As it is only one motor an LS would do if you can get one, they are cheaper but hard to source. You may be able to unplug the lighting plugs from the old decoder and use them on the replacement decoder if you are lucky.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Personally, the easiest if its a MTS Onboard decoder (as the service diagrams indicate), replacing it with an XLS-OB is the best option as its a simple swap.

I don't have any in stock but can order and install the correct sounds if needed.

LS decoders are available but again at this moment I do not have any but are shown as available so can order if needed.

And for reference - link to the service diagram:

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks gents,

As I already have the XLS from you MUMS I will look at putting it in,

Thankyou again for your help, stay safe and keep running :)

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

Im obviously missing something here as ive taken out all the lgb boards but when i attach the xls the loco just goes as if its got a connection at all times ?,

Ive done the same as ive done on the piko locos which work fine so not sure what ive done wrong here, any help please.

The underside of the loco has not been toudhed and as ive read on the lgb its the inside 2 pins are pick ups and the outer 2 to the motor but the loco just goes as soon as you put onto the track which does not make any sence at all !!!

Any assistance please or if anybody has done this do they have a photo of the board (ls or xls) on the loco not using the lgb electrics.

Many thanks for your help.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
A while since I put an XLS in mine but I found a photo showing connections. Maybe it will help.

Step 16.JPG

Note that mine was non-sound - not sure if that matters if you've removed all the factory-fit LGB gubbins but thought it worth mentioning.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you do not have any other boards, then you either have a wiring fault, or a faulty decoder..

Can you post a picture of your installation, please?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

Im obviously missing something here as ive taken out all the lgb boards but when i attach the xls the loco just goes as if its got a connection at all times ?,

Ive done the same as ive done on the piko locos which work fine so not sure what ive done wrong here, any help please.

The underside of the loco has not been toudhed and as ive read on the lgb its the inside 2 pins are pick ups and the outer 2 to the motor but the loco just goes as soon as you put onto the track which does not make any sence at all !!!

Any assistance please or if anybody has done this do they have a photo of the board (ls or xls) on the loco not using the lgb electrics.

Many thanks for your help.
The wiring of the Piko Locomotives is not the same configuration as LGB. I have been looking at pics of some of my bashes to get the Piko configuration but I am pretty sure that is the order from the motor block.

Piko
Red Motor
White Track
Grey Track
Blue Motor

LGB
Yellow Motor
White Track
Brown Track
Green Motor

Trainline
Blue Motor
Yellow Track
Red Track
Green Motor

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip and all,

Ive changed the decoder and it works so it seems like it was a dodgy decoder,

Many thanks to all :)

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip and all,

Ive changed the decoder and it works so it seems like it was a dodgy decoder,

Many thanks to all :)

Suggest you try doing a reset of the XLS decoder on your programming track. You'll need to wire it to your test stand loco, or use the Massoth PC Module, or the Massoth Service Board.