Wot, no overhead wires?

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0847 _1084 x 723_.jpg

Well, it was a beautiful day for running trains, wires or no wires....

DSC_0841 _1500 x 1000_.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A catastrophe waiting to happen

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Gee, the in car TV system must be good with such a large telly areal on that diesel engine. :giggle:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Virtual catenary strikes again!

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
Wires or no wires look so much better with the Pans Up.
Totally agree - most of my locos are RhB electrics and all run with a pan up at all times. Too many years working on the real railway where a train sitting on the main line with pans down was bad news - even worse if the remains of the catenary were draped across it..... o_O

M

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit, I like to see the pans up but not at full reach. Gordon has the right idea in my opinion holding them back with fishing line.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit, I like to see the pans up but not at full reach. Gordon has the right idea in my opinion holding them back with fishing line.

I had solved the my bridge issue by installing a short stretch of catenary. The contact wire is quite stiff. I bent the end of the wire extending from the mast so that pans are lead to correct contact with the wire.

Pan teather - 1.jpgPan teather - 1 _1_.jpg

But pans started to occasionally catch on the first tunnel portal I put in reeking havok. I didn't want to make the portal any bigger than it is. If I opened it up for more clearance it would just look too out of scale. So following Gordon's suggestion I'd seen earlier, I tethered the pans. However, I used some light gray polyester sewing thread. It's more flexible and easier to work with than fishing line and not noticeable from a couple feet.

Pan teather - 1 _2_.jpgPan teather - 1 _3_.jpg

Phil S.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That short stretch of catenary is what we managed on the Ruschbahn prior to Stringing the Wires up on all of the Scenic Parts of the line. The non scenic just had Pans Up Full and all the covering was built to allow for that. It worked perfect for the full life of the line circa 8 Years. We did faff around with Height restriction but it caused issues of the Pans not raising enough where there were wires so was taken off.