Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm currently in the process of digitising one of my LGB 2070s (U-Class). Given it's age, I've had to strip it right down to the block which is probably a good thing because there is a bunch of dried up grease that I needed to clean up.

One thing came to my mind while looking around was the gear. Given the age, I thought I'd check to see if the gears were worn and then quickly realised I wasn't actually sure what I was looking for. Any tips / advice / pictures in your libraries of what I should be looking for to assess the health?

Curtis

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
oh is this a 3 pin chassis?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Basically, if the teeth of the worm-wheel (the gear driven by the worm) have been worn concave (dished).

PhilP

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
If it's an old clam-shell, 4 digit model number loco don't lose those little ball thrust bearings on both ends of the motor shaft! o_O The old motors didn't have built-in thrust washers/bearings like the newer ones have. I use a dab of grease to keep them in position in the motor shell when I put things back together.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
and then quickly realised I wasn't actually sure what I was looking for.
I wouldn't worry Curtis, that's a common problem when your age increases :( o_O:rofl:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Also. Only use plastic compatible grease.
Labelle #106 grease with PTFE** – Labelle-Lubricants

0430-000106_72.jpg

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
oh is this a 3 pin chassis?
It's one of the old ones - before they had skates. There were no-pins (I converted a later Spreewald that had pins) but the motor block connected directly to the brass strips from the wheel pickups. It wasn't -too- much trouble.

Basically, if the teeth of the worm-wheel (the gear driven by the worm) have been worn concave (dished).

PhilP
Thanks! I figured it would be visible but I couldn't see anything so wanted to check instead of making assumptions.

If it's an old clam-shell, 4 digit model number loco don't lose those little ball thrust bearings on both ends of the motor shaft! o_O The old motors didn't have built-in thrust washers/bearings like the newer ones have. I use a dab of grease to keep them in position in the motor shell when I put things back together.
I take those out as soon as I can and keep them in a tray. Not something I'd like to try and replace!

I have the Massoth lubrication - but I've noted this for the future, thanks!

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed, but having no reference point what what worn looked like, I didn't know if it was one of those things which was obvious upon seeing it or more more subtle. My sense from this thread is it is more obvious. The loco is running fine after reassembly at least!

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
if you look at the teeth (after the gear is cleaned) uneven wear patterns will be noticable, but what Philp said,

the gear that engages the worm (the long skinny is the "worm", the gear that engages is the "worm gear".

Normally the worm is made of metal because it is smaller, less surface area, thus would wear faster. so the "worm gear" will wear. If the gears are not meshed fully, the worm will touch the worm gear just at the tips of the gear teeth, and the excessive force over a smaller area allow the worm to wear a concave surface in the worm gear.

good worm gear

Ver4 4 6 0 003

worn gear:
030 gap to left

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
note that in adition to being worn, the alignment side to side is a bit off, thus the concave part is not centered.

Typical situation, and you see the 2 small screws that hold the motor to the "frame", they often come loose, and you have to basically pull the loco apart to get to them to tighten them, so a common occurrence, you test by wiggling the motor, and if there is ANY motion in relation to the metal frame, the gear's days are numbered.

Greg

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag