idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
This UK Channel 5 series has been quite enjoyable, and the latest episode (6) shows the RhB Bernina Line and Glacier Express. Scenic views, cab views, infrastructure and some shots of the maintenance works at Chur.
They are basically one hour adverts for the lucky railways selected, but none the worse for that.
You need a login (free) for this link to work. Apologies to non-UK readers.
My5

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure several of the shots were played backwards. A set of coaches emerging from a tunnel followed by the loco. No driving cab in the rear coach.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure several of the shots were played backwards. A set of coaches emerging from a tunnel followed by the loco. No driving cab in the rear coach.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now I have to watch it! :rolleyes:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I saw that and just assumed that as that was the steepest descent section the loco was at the rear for a purpose. A bit further on they swap locos so thought that made the swap over easier.

Or they played the footage backwards!

Paul

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they were played backwards. Some really awesome shots which were spoilt for me by being reversed - a train apparently going up the Brusio viaduct with two ABe 4/4s pushing and no driving trailer (not that driving trailers are used on the Bernina anyway!). Some of the commentary was a bit inane too, such as the loco being changed at Chur from a Ge 4/4 II to an even more powerful loco - another Ge 4/4 II.

The scenery is well shown though, and this is a programme about the most scenic railway journeys in the world so, technical details apart, it does deliver. Worth seeing.

M

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't twig when I saw the motor coaches at the end of the train, just assumed they were being towed somewhere. It sunk in when I saw the coaches emerging from the tunnel first.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Been there! This year's holiday

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Backwards..there's an overhead longshot where some of the road traffic appears to be driving on the left.

Why do they spoil a good programme by using naff features.

It's much harder to do with steam locos....It may be a Portillo series featuring an early german steam loco...the steam in the air miraculously enters the cylinders!

Just remembered..the loco may be Der Adler

Malcolm

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I watched it too and mentioned to Mizzy that the trains seemed to be running backwards?

Wasn't just me then.... o_O

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I'm certain I have seen the shot of the train backing out of the tunnel on another railway program.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
There seems to be a lot of cross use between programmes on Quest/ Yesterday too, I assume it’s the same production company padding stuff out to get the most out of the footage!
This channel 5 programme seems to have shots used in the Yesterday or Quest series on, I think it was, extreme trains.
Much like the ‘Secrets of the Railways’ programmes used stuff from their WW2 and impossible engineering ;) Stock footage reuse is common and I regularly see stuff used in military programmes that is nothing to do with the area they are talking about and frequently the wrong country’s forces!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Why do I always get sucked in with these programmes. Thing is with most of them, it is usually very little to do with the train, and more some of the obscure restaurants, or personalities along the way.
And, technical editing of rail operations leaves a lot to be desired, e.g. same train only a few miles apart, and it is a different consist, or as you have observed going backwards, or the other direction.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Why do I always get sucked in with these programmes. Thing is with most of them, it is usually very little to do with the train, and more some of the obscure restaurants, or personalities along the way.
And, technical editing of rail operations leaves a lot to be desired, e.g. same train only a few miles apart, and it is a different consist, or as you have observed going backwards, or the other direction.
Quite so, I do not watch TV, not even having a License or or way to watch it. However at my mates pad he has all these sort of TV shows on (whilst having his head in his pc or mobile) and I note what drivel they are. The building and mending shows are even worse with constant drama of what could go wrong as if it was not obvious.

Don’t get sucked in.

Spend time on the workbench and make something. If you really want to know about your chosen Railway look at YT, plenty of good footage generally without some driveling idiot pontificating about nothing and plenty of older footage as well.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately everything needs to be done NOW at the cheapest possible price. It was probably spliced together by some poor unpaid intern on work experience

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I recorded the programme and watched it last night, and the scene is obvious, though not too distracting from the scenery. One thing I notice about most of these railway programmes is they talk about a specific journey and a specific train crew, yet the train shots are often of different trains, as they comment on the single journey. for this grumpy old man this continuity is the worse.