Willi Chuff?

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
I could really use a bit of market feedback from Regner owners if that is possible, please.

Yesterday, I attended a great steam up down here in Dorset where Gordon Miles kindly offered
his Willi for me to take home to "play with". When the mirth had died down, I
did just that and spent this morning making a prototype Chuffer fitting. We are
thinking of adding this to the range - but have no idea if this is the sort of
thing folk with silent Willis would want........

You can see the prototype below and the video, which includes an explanation here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_qPEreZJQ

And on the website news page as usual. Any feedback would be very helpful please!

Cheers
Chris
fd1c183f4d28447ab421e428dcfbd8e9.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That does sound very good. I keep saying that I must get one for my Roundhouse Jack. Wonder if there is one for the Regner Conrad?

Love the Railway too, very colonial looking in the planting.
JonD

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
With all due respect Chris,I don't think the chuff sound matters too much with Regner locos especially with them being geared.The motor moves too fast to make much difference really but of course that is only my opinion.

hemingp

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chris, I am not convinced of the value of a chuffer for the Willi. I find it quite a noisy loco and unless i fitted a roof, I'm not too keen on the look of it. Of course this is only my opinion..

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
The chuffer sounds very good.

Steve

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chris,
I own a Regner Lumberjack which I bought second hand & had a home made version of your Chuffpipe installed . I'm thinking of removing it as its so noisy. I'm sure your pipe would be much better designed but this one at times just emits an eerie whistling sound that is sure to frighten children on halloween, on other occasions it sounds much like your Willi.
If it was possible to design one that would fit the horizontal boilered locos I think there may be reasonable demand
Cheers Garry

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Thanks for the comments guys - I really am interested in what you think both positive and negative!

John D - glad you like the railway. Regarding Conrad, I believe the SCGP1 can be made to fit, but I have not done it. It needs a straight, vertical section of the exhaust to be in the chimney for the SCGP1 (general purpose) chuffer to push over. If you PM me with some measurements I can have a look at it.

Allan - well geared locos are not for everyone and like you, I thought that Chuffers would not be appropriate. In fact I had to have my arm seriously twisted to make one for the 3 cyl Shay. But the customes seem to like them, and I just love the sound of the 2 cyl Shay. And I confess that as of yesterday, I am seiously tempted to get my own Regner.

HemingP - well beauty is in the eye.... etc. Last week I would have agreed with you! In fact the owner will be putting a roof on and painting the plumbing black. And I just tried it with a 7/8ths driver and it makes a huge difference.....

And Garry - the banshee wail is more likely to be from the burner than the chuffer as the Lumberjack is, I gather, prone to it. It is a matter of adjusting the air supply until the howl stops. You may need to fit an air control ring on the burner. I have made a chuffer that made a sound like a canary - but it did that all the time as I had cut the slot incorrectly (a long time before we went into production). The SCGP1 fits the Lumberjack and there are photos and detailed fitting instructions here:
http://www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk/#/20-regner-lumber-jack/4540921579 < Link To http://www.summerlands-ch...lumber-jack/4540921579

Cheers
Chris

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
And Garry - the banshee wail is more likely to be from the burner than the chuffer as the Lumberjack is, I gather, prone to it. It is a matter of adjusting the air supply until the howl stops. You may need to fit an air control ring on the burner. I have made a chuffer that made a sound like a canary - but it did that all the time as I had cut the slot incorrectly (a long time before we went into production). The SCGP1 fits the Lumberjack and there are photos and detailed fitting instructions here
Thanks Chris
I am currently adding a few cosmetic enhancements to the lumberjack , so I ( or my father in law ) will try to incorperate your suggestion as well.
Cheers Garry.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I have four Regners Chris so I do like geared locos especially Regners,it's just that their motors move so fast it's not so easy to hear their individual chuff's.

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Ferrysteam said:
I have four Regners Chris so I do like geared locos especially Regners,it's just that their motors move so fast it's not so easy to hear their individual chuff's.

Well Allan - you have FAR more experience with Regners than I do - mine is limited to this one Willi on one steaming that I filmed. But I was asked if I would like to try this mod and the owner, who has seen the film, is delighted. I think that many owners will agree with you - so it may be that we just make Willi ones to order if asked. The pleasure for me was in overcoming the problems - and having listened to it again on the video - I might end up making one for a Willi of my own sometime.............:)
Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
garrymartin said:
I am currently adding a few cosmetic enhancements to the lumberjack , so I ( or my father in law ) will try to incorperate your suggestion as well.
Cheers Garry.

Garry - by the purest chance I got my hands on a Lumberjack yesterday. The owner had just built the kit and had spent two days trying to light the burner (it would only light at the chimney top or in the smokebox, leading to de-tempered cylinder springs). He came round in desperation and we found that an air control ring, covering half of the air holes, solved the problem instantly. I was able to play with the gas control and found that the howl is when the gas is turned up too high (just the same as with my Cheddar Iver). There was masses of heat with it turned down low, so this may be the simplest answer.

I then fitted a you-know-what and we tested it with a small load. I know I am biased, but I could hear the chuffs - and so could the owner:) It certainly is a very attractive loco and I hope you will share a photo of your enhancements........
Cheers
Chris

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, I know this a bit of a late post. I realy liked the modifications you carried out te the Regner "Willi". The chuff pipe sounded good. The video was excellent. I have a "Willi" on order which I will run in 7/8ths scale. I think a chuff pipe will be a fine addition. I will be in touch in due course.

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
casey jones snr said:
Chris, I know this a bit of a late post. I realy liked the modifications you carried out te the Regner "Willi". The chuff pipe sounded good. The video was excellent. I have a "Willi" on order which I will run in 7/8ths scale. I think a chuff pipe will be a fine addition. I will be in touch in due course.

Thanks Casey - if you get in touch via Nigel, at DP Supplies, or via a PM here, we can sort you out with a "sound system" for your loco. I just love the Regner Willi - it is perfect for 7/8ths!
Cheers
Chris

Kim4601

Registered
4 Sep 2010
Best answers
I hope its not too late of a reply chris, Im new around here somewhat but ive always thought when viewing your video that it has great applications, both for steam who want more noise to their loco, and perhaps even though it might be unconventional,someone willing to encase a locomotive with wire mesh and steel sheeting to make something of a sugarcane diesel narrow gauge locomotive, admittedly more leaning towards a konrad rather than a willi,

I think the chuff with the chuffer pipe added sounds very similar to a smaller scaled version of some ruston diesel or perhaps hudson-hunslet 2 foot gauge diesels ive heard in full song

I love steam engines very much, I like steam engines looking like steam engines..but as much as I want to grow my yet display railway (shelf) into a garden railway and have functioning live steam locos that look like live steam locos, I wouldnt be above making a steam diesel outline loco if it made that sound, and looking at the exhaust.. its not that much different from diesel again either,

I dont know if anyones as mad as me.. but its certainly a use for a regner loco with a chuffpipe, so please dont give up on the idea at all, it has great applications

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Kim4601 said:
I hope its not too late of a reply chris, Im new around here somewhat but ive always thought when viewing your video that it has great applications, both for steam who want more noise to their loco, and perhaps even though it might be unconventional,someone willing to encase a locomotive with wire mesh and steel sheeting to make something of a sugarcane diesel narrow gauge locomotive, admittedly more leaning towards a konrad rather than a willi,

I think the chuff with the chuffer pipe added sounds very similar to a smaller scaled version of some ruston diesel or perhaps hudson-hunslet 2 foot gauge diesels ive heard in full song

I love steam engines very much, I like steam engines looking like steam engines..but as much as I want to grow my yet display railway (shelf) into a garden railway and have functioning live steam locos that look like live steam locos, I wouldnt be above making a steam diesel outline loco if it made that sound, and looking at the exhaust.. its not that much different from diesel again either,

I dont know if anyones as mad as me.. but its certainly a use for a regner loco with a chuffpipe, so please dont give up on the idea at all, it has great applications

It's never too late to put forward an interesting idea Kim! Mind you, the Regner Willi and Konrad are a lot of loco to fit inside a diesel outline. Perhaps for 7/8ths or 1/12th scale it would work though you would need an "exhaust" pipe of at least 10mm diameter.........

Let me know if you decide to have a go - I always like a challenge :)
Cheers
Chris

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
8d2ad33da976428c9644b36dd72268f6.jpg
Chris Bird said:
casey jones snr said:

Thanks Casey - if you get in touch via Nigel, at DP Supplies, or via a PM here, we can sort you out with a "sound system" for your loco. I just love the Regner Willi - it is perfect for 7/8ths!
Cheers
Chris

Will do Chris.