Why the rear off-side wheel?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
This is NOT another thread about track cleaning. There are several threads concerning that and I've read them all so please don't feel you have to groan out loud when you read this! :D

I have come across something that's to do with track cleanliness that I don't understand....

My Bachmann 0-4-0 gas loco started bunny hopping. OK, I hadn't cleaned the tracks so I expected that to happen sooner or later.

I stopped running it and promised myself to have a look at a later date. When I got round to having a look, I saw that the off-side rear wheel (that would be near-side rear to US members!) was thoroughly caked with the black gunge that accumulate on every track (even when you don't run live steam) but the other 3 wheels had hardly any deposits at all!?!

It's only idle curiosity on my part but I really can't understand why 1 wheel would grab the gunge and the rest didn't.

If you've got any ideas, please tell me :)

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Just a guess has the chrome coating gone on this wheel more than the others ?

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
So, is this a gas fired live steamer Tom?

If so does the lubricator leak oil out on that side? behind the front wheel but in front of the rear wheel?

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Don its a Bachmann 4 wheel loco no skates .

2de36583a91b472b934b934e70f29500.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
the power surrply atrcts dirt to one side ,as the current flows this way..

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Mikes got it in one as usual!! as the current pickup gets marginal due to dirty track the current starts to spark and this causes spark errosion on the one side. you say only one wheel is affected? then I would check the pick up plunger on the other wheel on that side as I don't think it's working!!!!..................Paul..............

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
and ,pauls correct.. both wheels should be "dirty"if working correctly..

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Well spotted there lads.

I would add it is always worth occasionally turning your locos over ( On a pad of soft foam of course)

and testing each wheel and skate ( if fitted) for power collection, over the years I have had many surprises

especially with LGB Bogie street cars!!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis said:
Well spotted there lads.

I would add it is always worth occasionally turning your locos over ( On a pad of soft foam of course)

and testing each wheel and skate ( if fitted) for power collection, over the years I have had many surprises

especially with LGB Bogie street cars!!

One of my split gearbox U Class locos lost all but one bullet connector from the driving wheels and was/is running solely on the trailing truck pick-up. It runs fine!
Note to self - Must get around to fitting new pick-ups, I have had them for months.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevelewis said:

Very good point Steve. I bought one of my Mallets cheap as a "poor/jerky runner". Got it home and discovered very fast that it was only picking up on 2 of 12 wheels due to accumulated crud and vastly excessive oiling. Removed the grot and it ran like new.

Definitely always worth checking in your spring pre-running checks.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
George Schreyer mentioned in his "Bachmann Davenport Tips" that the little roller pickups sometimes don't contact the back of the wheel properly and may need a little shim to force them out a little from the chassis block.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips10/davenport_tips.html

I found this to be true with mine, I made the adjustment suggested and it's been fine ever since.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
If you ran the loco in reverse for a long time I would expect the diagonally opposite wheel to get dirty.

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
dragon said:
If you ran the loco in reverse for a long time I would expect the diagonally opposite wheel to get dirty.

Not if it has a traction tyre on it :rofl:

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Thanks again everyone :clap:

The 'Davenport tips' site has been added to my favourites. Excellent info on there.

Purists might not like what I've done to my loco, but we'll see what reactions I get when I post my next vid.... :D

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
The only reason I know for this to happen is as Mike pointed out.

Technically it will involve electrochemical corrosion.
If this is the case the wheel connected to the negative side of supply should be the worst.
If not it's something else.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Steve said:
dragon said:

This post was marked as useless!

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
dragon said:
Steve said:
dragon said:

This post was marked as useless!

Don't worry it's just a fur wound :D:D