Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I started to assemble my ancient stash of white-metal Hudson chassis kits (no longer in the maker's catalogue).
The instructions (supported by pictures) state "Fit axle boxes to the inner face of the chassis", so I epoxied two axle boxes to one side of each of four chassis and went away to let the adhesive set -- which it did, solidly.
Later, I went to the next step: "Fit wheels and other axle boxes in place making sure wheels spin freely." I wiggled an axle into a box already fastened in place, placed another box on the other end of the axle and tried to fit it to the opposite inner face of the chassis. Ummm, no go: The axles are too long to allow both boxes to fit on the inner faces of the chassis :banghead:.
Lesson 1: Don't trust what you read.
Lesson 2: Do a dry run. Had I done that and then attached the axle boxes to the outside of the chassis, it might have worked, even if ugly.
Too late to worry about that (see epoxy, set, solidly).

Shortening those nice 1/8" steel axles accurately would overstretch my modest abilities, so I think I shall drill the axle holes right through the boxes. I can bodge new covers from styrene to conceal the axle ends. These are, after all, hardscrabble industrial stock: Good looks aren't a consideration.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I started to assemble my ancient stash of white-metal Hudson chassis kits (no longer in the maker's catalogue).
The instructions (supported by pictures) state "Fit axle boxes to the inner face of the chassis", so I epoxied two axle boxes to one side of each of four chassis and went away to let the adhesive set -- which it did, solidly.
Later, I went to the next step: "Fit wheels and other axle boxes in place making sure wheels spin freely." I wiggled an axle into a box already fastened in place, placed another box on the other end of the axle and tried to fit it to the opposite inner face of the chassis. Ummm, no go: The axles are too long to allow both boxes to fit on the inner faces of the chassis :banghead:.
Lesson 2: Do a dry run. Had I done that and then attached the axle boxes to the outside of the chassis, it might have worked, even if ugly.

Shortening those nice 1/8" steel axles accurately would overstretch my modest abilities, so I think I shall drill the axle holes right through the boxes. I can bodge new covers from styrene to conceal the axle ends. These are, after all, hardscrabble industrial stock: Good looks aren't a consideration.
Cutting steel axles isn't half as bad as you think it might be. I've used a hacksaw but in more recent times, Mr Dremel is easier ;);)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

I go along with Rhino, if you never try you will never improve your abilities. Cutting metal is one of the simplest techniques known to man, you just need a good sharpe blade (a Junior Hacksaw will be the thing) and a Vice. Hold the axle in the vice and cut where you need some off slowly and carefully to get the feel of things. You will probably need to cut a little off both ends then gently with a small file clean off any swarf (Rough bits on the ends).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I go along with Rhino, if you never try you will never improve your abilities. Cutting metal is one of the simplest techniques known to man, you just need a good sharpe blade (a Junior Hacksaw will be the thing) and a Vice. Hold the axle in the vice and cut where you need some off slowly and carefully to get the feel of things. You will probably need to cut a little off both ends then gently with a small file clean off any swarf (Rough bits on the ends).
For many years I didn't have a vice - just had to hold things in my fingers on a bench or saw horse when cutting them, and used gardening gloves when the object got warm ;);)

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Cutting steel axles isn't half as bad as you think it might be. I've used a hacksaw but in more recent times, Mr Dremel is easier ;);)
I have no problem cutting them. Cutting them accurately is a whole nuther kettle of fish :oops:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have no problem cutting them. Cutting them accurately is a whole nuther kettle of fish :oops:
You need to have a bit of side play - one step at a time :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A common problem, but as Rhino says, practice makes for better accuracy

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
So I got out Mr Dremel and a metal-cutting disc, a file. a micrometer, and a battery task light.
The axles need shortening from 62/63 mm to +/-58 mm. I clamped a wheelset in the jaws of my trusty Workmate and set about trimming each end of the axle. Did two axles, test-fitted them to one of the Hudson chassis, filed a smidge more, tested again, etc. ... So that's one chassis ready to wheel, after it visits the paint shop ...
I really need my magnifier headset to see what I'm doing, but safety goggles won't fit with it so I chose safety and worked in a bit of a blur.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just cut in the correct plaice, and don’t hake it about.