pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
So, I have some whitemetal kits and detailing stuff that need painting. I've never used this before having stuck (sometimes literally) to plastic. Here come the questions:
Brushed enamel?
Airbrushed acrylic?
Do either or both require a key coat (obviously I will degrease the models with acetone first)?
Will either or both require a fixing topcoat?
Ta guys

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I would use an undercoat. Car aerosol but a very light coat or you may loose detail.
Simple and cheap.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
The white metal kits I've done (only a few) I've used a rattle can/aerosol etch primer then matching car aerosol paint.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I've never used etch primer on whitemetal, normal primer is fine and cheaper because it has a long shelf life.
Unless you need it to be very hard wearing I'd go with standard primer ;)
Loads on how to use etch primer here.
http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/about-us/hints-tips/etch-primers.html

I use Halfords primers and I've found them hard wearing and the cans can last years as long as you turn upside down and spray until the paint clears to clear the nozzle.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've always used acid etch (I think it's #8) from Halfords. No problem with shelf life, and it is OK with most materials from plastic, through wood to various metals.

You can also use a plumbate primer on white metal if you can get it now. It's probably non-pc to use it, but I would have thought that Humbrol now make a substitute.

You need some sort of primer on white metal, even after you've smoothed it off with the glass fibre stick.