Which sound decoder?

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Which sound decoder would anyone recommend for the Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation?

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
SGR said:
Which sound decoder would anyone recommend for the Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation?

I have a Sound Traxx in my Connie heres a link for you to hear the loco :clap:
You might be lucky to find a new one or second hand as there no longer made .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaesiH76nCM

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
I agree that Sierra is very good in a Connie if you can find one - I couldn't.

Generally the very best soundcard at a price is the Phoenix, I have a couple but not in Connies. These are light enough to consider buying in USA, I used RLD.

Have just installed the Chuff cam version of MyLocoSound in a Connie. The whistle is not very prototypical but with twiddling can be made to sound fun. I turn the bell off, that's the worst bit. The steam hiss and chuff are very good though and its good and loud when installed with a decent speaker. Generally OK for a Connie at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps

Mike

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
I also have several locos fitted with Dallee sound units , there not bad for the money got mine from the states for around £75 each . I don't have one in a connie but have found this on You Tube for you a connie with a Dallee sound board .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOg6TXRqHE&NR=1

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Sounds kind of weird as the chuff cuts off when the whistle blows?
Richie said:
I also have several locos fitted with Dallee sound units , there not bad for the money got mine from the states for around £75 each . I don't have one in a connie but have found this on You Tube for you a connie with a Dallee sound board .

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Too true Paul. I quote from thier website
"The Dallee systems are not completely polyphonic. Some models, especially the older ones, don't play more than one sound at a time. If you blow the whistle, the chuff or engine sound may stop. Newer systems fake an engine sound behind the bell."

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
WKDOR said:
Have just installed the Chuff cam version of MyLocoSound in a Connie. The whistle is not very prototypical but with twiddling can be made to sound fun. I turn the bell off, that's the worst bit. The steam hiss and chuff are very good though and its good and loud when installed with a decent speaker. Generally OK for a Connie at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps

Mike
Mike,

I would be keen to hear how we should improve the MyLocoSound bell. Do you have a link to a recording or video of a prototype bell which we should reproduce for the Connie and similar locos?

Thanks
Peter

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
minimans said:
Sounds kind of weird as the chuff cuts off when the whistle blows?
Richie said:

Hi Paul
As Alan has said the sound does cut off when the whistle blows , the whistle on that connie in the you tube clip sounded a bit like a Union Pacific FEF or Big Boy ??

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Peter

No, sorry can't help with any original bell sounds. I'm comparing it with the Sierra Connie card and with Phoenix P8 Mallet, both of which have on demand bells as well as on start up/slow down. Bells can become a bit tedious in any case.

I still think MyLocoSound is a very welcome development!

Mike

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
nico said:
qsi in k27

Any idea where I can get a QSI card for a Bachmann K27 this side of the pond?