Which Loco In Roster Is Your Least Favourite ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
My least favorite loco ? I got rid of those.....:mad:

Reactions: 1 user

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
My least favorite loco ? I got rid of those.....:mad:

Dan,

I like the logic! I did the same - I take the view that a loco must be able to work. Years ago I acquired a very early Stainz with the growler mechanism. It was bought in complete ignorance at a time when I had few locos and was a bitter disappointment. Consequently it was traded at the ealiest opportunity.

Today, having more locos I would probably view it differently, and revere it's sacred status, but what's done, is done.

This brings me on the my least popular loco in my my current stud: A track powered adaptation of the latest Playmobil Diesel Loco. Ironically this reminds me a lot of that poor old Stainz as it is shrill to the ear and the pick ups leave a lot to be desired.

It was an interesting experiment, but at present has to be regarded as something of a failure. That said, I need to work on it some more. Crocodile style skates may well help - Just need to work out how to fit them!

James

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
James,

I view buying locos and rolling stock as a gamble. Yes, I do some research before I buy, but not everyone's opinion is relevant to my garden railway. So if I really want a loco or some piece of rolling stock, I'll take the chance. And there have been those times where the purchase just doesn't work for me for various reasons. The most common reason to jettison something is that it didn't earn it's keep. If I have to tinker with it too much, it's getting a pink slip. Other reasons to give an item the axe is that it didn't make me feel good watching it in my garden railway.

By and large, I have had excellent success with LGB products. Not all of which I still own. Bachmann's Davenports are still on my roster as they do work hard. Anything else I experimented with from Bachmann was a bust. Aristocraft was given up a long time ago. I did purchase my first USA loco, a 44 ton switcher. I purchased new motor blocks for it and rebuilt it. I can say that I wish I hadn't sold it. But when you gamble, you must be prepared for some losses.

Reactions: 1 user