Which battery?

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Morning Folks,
I would appreciate a bit of advice with the following please: My layout is currently track powered DCC which works well but I'm now thinking about moving to battery power.
Most of my locos are of the Stainz variety which shouldn't be that difficult to convert (several how-to's available) but I do have a Piko Taurus that I'm not sure about.

Can anyone suggest a suitable battery type and size? The Taurus has two motors and I'm not sure about the voltage (and current) requirements i.e. 12 volts, 14.4 or higher. I've trawled the forum and found references to voltage increasing boards; would I need one? I don't run it at full speed so presumably I wouldn't need to supply the full 24 volts currently available (sorry) with the track supply.

Thank you,
Les.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Morning Folks,
I would appreciate a bit of advice with the following please: My layout is currently track powered DCC which works well but I'm now thinking about moving to battery power.
Most of my locos are of the Stainz variety which shouldn't be that difficult to convert (several how-to's available) but I do have a Piko Taurus that I'm not sure about.

Can anyone suggest a suitable battery type and size? The Taurus has two motors and I'm not sure about the voltage (and current) requirements i.e. 12 volts, 14.4 or higher. I've trawled the forum and found references to voltage increasing boards; would I need one? I don't run it at full speed so presumably I wouldn't need to supply the full 24 volts currently available (sorry) with the track supply.

Thank you,
Les.
I have a Piko Kamel that has 12 AA NiMh with battery DCC from Fosworks. I get 4-5 hours continuous time on with this setup.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I have a twin motor Bachmann 45 tonner with a similar battery pack - the first time I used AAs (and this was a good few years ago now) having previously only used sub-Cs.

It's worth thinking about how you're going to do the Stainz first. If you end up choosing to go the Lipo route, then ideally you would want to use a Lipo for the Taurus as well. The two technologies are very different, the chargers and the principles of charging are all different.

So, I would advise sorting, in your mind at least, the route for the small tricky one, then following the same route for the larger, easier (in theory) loco.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Piko Kamel that has 12 AA NiMh with battery DCC from Fosworks. I get 4-5 hours continuous time on with this setup.
That was quick. With the NiMh batteries that would be around 14.4 volts while running.
Many thanks,
Les.
Yep, I have a twin motor Bachmann 45 tonner with a similar battery pack - the first time I used AAs (and this was a good few years ago now) having previously only used sub-Cs.

It's worth thinking about how you're going to do the Stainz first. If you end up choosing to go the Lipo route, then ideally you would want to use a Lipo for the Taurus as well. The two technologies are very different, the chargers and the principles of charging are all different.

So, I would advise sorting, in your mind at least, the route for the small tricky one, then following the same route for the larger, easier (in theory) loco.
Good suggestion; I’ve already got a Lipo charger from when my grandson had an interest in quadcopters so they may dictate how things progress.
Thank you,
Regards,
Les.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
That was quick. With the NiMh batteries that would be around 14.4 volts while running.
Many thanks,
Les.

Good suggestion; I’ve already got a Lipo charger from when my grandson had an interest in quadcopters so they may dictate how things progress.
Thank you,
Regards,
Les.
If you're happy with lipo / li-ion technology, then I would recommend that route. You can either buy ready-made lipo packs or make your own using 18650 cells and battery protection boards. That way you can design the pack to fit the available space. I've converted three Stainz locos to battery - fitting 14500 li-ion cells into the cab. Hardly noticeable.

Rik

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
If you're happy with lipo / li-ion technology, then I would recommend that route. You can either buy ready-made lipo packs or make your own using 18650 cells and battery protection boards. That way you can design the pack to fit the available space. I've converted three Stainz locos to battery - fitting 14500 li-ion cells into the cab. Hardly noticeable.

Rik
Thanks Rik,
I must be honest and say I’ve visited your blog loads of times; it’s a goldmine of information. Looking forward to reading more in due course.

Regards,
Les

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look at this site.