Which 3D Printer

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have been following the exploits of you 3D printer owners, and seen positive advances in product output. Mrs B said she would consider buying me one for Christmas, but I need to understand value for money. Being a tight wodge (I know she said she is buying it, but well all know where the money comes from ;)) I want to ensure best value for money. Creality seems a popular make, and Ender 3 vs Ender 5 is one consideration, or maybe "an other" make and model, also where to buy from, there seems to be a multitude of companies, many I have never heard of, so, who to trust.
Please can I have some help and advice, especially "don't" advice, so I can at least eliminate the some of the poor elements.
I have looked at some of the upgrade mentioned and looked further for these, however nobody (or I may have missed it) has mentioned an enclosure!
So over to you 3D printer owners.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I'm not currently an owner but I have had around 10 years experience with printers now. As it happens I am finally about to press buy on a Creality Ender 5. Creality seem to be the company to go for in terms of the best ratio between price and quality. Judging from the results on here and lots of professional reviews online they seem to be able to out perform a lot of more expensive FDM machines. I also spent a lot of time trying to decide between the Ender 3 (and its variations) and the Ender 5. I think I would have been happy with either, but I've been saving my money and because I can go for the Ender 5 now I think I will. The big draw for me being the sturdier frame and the improved version of the extruder head. You get a slightly taller build volume too. They both run on the same software and the Ender 3 Pro is available with the same higher quality power supply as the Ender 5. I would say go for the most advanced to you comfortable with. The Ender 5 is more expensive, but also a lot easier to build if you're nervous about that.

Ender 3 Pro Vs. Ender 5

I am going to buy from Banggood.com. They're a Chinese distributor but with warehouses in North America, the EU and the UK. I've done a lot of research into them as I had never heard of them and they were offering very good prices on Creality products. The external reviews suggest they're legitimate and I can't find any horror stories. Plus, you get a $20 additional voucher on your first purchase from them.

As for enclosures, a lot of people would suggest that they're necessary in order to successfully print ABS but lots on here have managed without and I know many others who have too. The first printers I used had heat controlled enclosures but these machines were several thousands of pounds and much larger than these desktop units. The quality from those machines didn't seem to be any better for it. I had been looking at trying to build an enclosure from an old piece of furniture. As I don't think many people are directly heating the air inside for these units, the main benefit is preventing external airflow from reaching the model. A cheap experiment could be to place a large cardboard box over the machine and see if it helps it . There are several you can buy off the shelf (Including ones from Creality), and some really good guides to building your own in the link below:

Ender 5 Enclosures

Whatever you go for, it will be an excellent Christmas Present I'm sure. I hope you have fun with it :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a little spare part for my mini drone from Bangood - all arrived OK :)

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I have no experience with the 5 , but am very happy with the 3 pro, I took my advise from Mike and bought from Farnell , only because I recognised the company and thought if there was a problem, they have a phone number to call, I didn't need that as everything was in the box and worked, straight away. As Mike said, it is a 'steep learning curve' at first, but it soon starts to flatten out. As I have said in a previous post, I think the 'add-ons' from 'Thingiverse ' are worth the effort and becoming familiar with the slicer is well worth time spent.
You will probably have some disaster prints, but that is how you learn!
I have no previous experience of using a 3d printer but have looked at them in the past, on reflection, I'm glad I waited as I probably would have spent a lot more money on a machine that was not as good.
Pic below should show the 'add-ons'
One big advantage is this great forum as there will be someone who can point you in the right directions, if you get stuck, as with most things associated with the railway, it self.
Just my '2 pence woth'
Dave
(The filament roll is just laid down to show the new printed roller)
IMG_1492.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have two printers one open and one fully enclosed , both have heated beds. The fully enclosed printer prints ABS without warping far better than the open printer, both print PETG well but the one witht he encloseue again produces better prints in my opinion. I don't use PLA in either machine my choice . The fully enclosed printer will print down to .005mm and can produce some very detail and clean prints at that setting bet they take four times longer to produce than using a .02mm layer height. I won't recommend a make of printer but both mine are made by the same company and the fully enclosed one is used more than the open version now to produce the train parts I make.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No first-hand experience, but I would guess these printer tend to be left running? - Possibly overnight??
So....... Where are you going to put it? - In an unheated garage, you may be in there modelling during the day, but will not leave a heater on overnight?
An enclosure (possibly heated) might be a good idea in that situation.

I would guess an enclosure might keep the noise down a little, as well? - Another consideration if it is to run all night?

Personally, I would rate Banggood slightly above Aliexpress, but I use both..
Other than increased shipping-times (Covid, again) I have not had a problem with Suppliers on either site.. - This may be because I tend to buy in larger quantities?
YMMV, of course.

PhilP.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Me again!
My 3d printer is next to my PC, the Ender does have a pause facility, as Mike said, I have also used this, so as not to leave it running over night or when you have to go out ( do you remember those days????) The print will restart from where it left off, you sometimes get a hair line mark, where it restarts but it doesn't cause a problem , in my opinion.
As far as noise goes, it is not that noisy, more a gentle hum as it moves around, my printer is in the next room to the sitting room, i can hardly hear it, when it is running ( I do have hearing aids! ) my wife can hear a pin drop at 100 yards but it does not bother her.
Dave

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been pondering and researching for a couple of weeks since my missus said "Why don't you get yourself a new 3D printer for Christmas". Initially, I was tempted by the Creality Ender 3 Pro - partly because of the experiences of forum members and also by the reviews on various websites - and largely, of course, because of the price. I then became interested in the Creality CR-6. It has really good reviews and what has attracted me (after struggling with bed levelling on my cheapo £80 printer) is that is has auto bed levelling and a range of other features as standard. It looks as if they have listened carefully to users and incorporated all the upgrades that people add to basic printers. It's a bit more expensive, but I'm hoping this will mean I'll not have to fork out for enhancements to make it do what I want it to do.

I too am thinking of going with Banggood. I've ordered stuff from them before and been pleased with their service. 2/3 of the reviews on Trustpilot for them are excellent - there's bound to be a few disgruntled customers but I'm willing to take the risk

Rik

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For long term outside use on garden railways you need to be printing using ABS not PLA. Best results with ABS are achieved if the printer is fully enclosed. In my business and my hobby I have made extensive use of the UP Mini 2 and the FlashPrint Adventurer 3, both of which have worked very well.

Over a period of three years I have had a few failures; a broken belt, a broken plastic pivot, a failed circuit board. In every case I have been able to acquire the necessary part quickly and cheaply and had had all the advice I needed from my Australian supplier. For that reason I would never buy from Banggood or AliExpress because, whilst they sell at cheap prices and deliver reliably, their after sales service would be non-existant. Although you will pay more up front, an in-country supplier will be much more reliable in the long term. A friend of mine bought a 3D printer from Banggood, it developed a fault after 5 months and his only option was to buy another one and use the first for spare parts.

There are a few independent companies around who will repair 3D printers but they tend to be committed to contract work for schools, etc. and are not really interested in one off work.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Further to my suggestion about the Creality CR-6 SE, I've read some worrying reports that there is a serious fire risk associated with them - to the extent that Creality has issued a statement saying they should not be left unattended while printing! I certainly don't fancy baby sitting the printer while it does a 12 hour print job.

I'm now considering the Eryone Thinker SE, which has a larger printbed (300x 300) and, although not fitted as standard, is set up for auto bed levelling. I'm trying to track down more reviews but what I've found so far is promising

Eg Complete List of 5 Best and Cheap Large 3D Printers Under 500 | Tech Consumer Guide

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I sent an email to Creality asking whether they have sorted out the problem with the motherboards and switches burning out on the CR-6. I think the reply is reassuring, but I'm not 100% sure - or maybe just 99.85% sure ...... I think he means one of the chips HAD a bug.
------------------------------------------------

Dear Richard Bennett,

How are you?This is Loyar from Shenzhen Creality 3d Technology Co.,ltd.

We received your request that you want a CR-6SE.As for what you are concerning about,pls don't worry. All parts of CR-6 SE are fire-proof.We've confirmed that is motherboard issue.We use a new 32 bits motherboard and one of the chip’s plug-ins has a bug.We estimate that there is about 0.15% of the probability of such a problem. Also we already fix the problem.You don't need to worry.

I would like to recommend you purchase from EU local reseller.Because they can offer you faster delivery and service.One of EU reseller(company name is Assorted Metals Trading Ltd and email address is hello@tiztec.com) is from UK,they have CR-6 SE in stock now.You can contact them.

Any doubts,pls contact me freely.Thanks.
Best regards,

Loyar

------------------
Anyway, it's too late now. I bought the Eryone via Amazon as it was on offer. For the price of the CR-6 on Banggood, I have a bigger printer plus a bed levelling sensor, plus a full reel of filament plus the reassurance that Amazon's return and after sales policies are fairly robust.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, just checked the company he suggested and see they have the CR-6 for £307.50 which is cheaper than Banggood and they are UK based so should have better after sales (one would hope). Please don't assume this is an endorsement, just passing on the info in case anyone is interested

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jim
Now I have figured out how to draw my own models using TinkerCAD, I tend to use it all the time. As we speak, I'm printing out some buffers for a new wagon I've recently drawn and printed.

As Del Boy would say - With a 3D printer, the world is my lobster.

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
What scale... Are you printing Lobster's? :think:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Well I took the plunge and ordered an Eryone Thinker SE from Amazon on Sunday and, despite going for free postage ( not the one where you have to sign up for Prime), it was delivered yesterday (Monday). I unpacked and assembled it this morning and have done one of the test prints.
IMG_20201013_105953_resize_51.jpg

A couple of things I've noticed - it's whisper quiet, in fact the noisiest thing is the power supply fan and levelling the bed is a doddle (large thumb wheels compared with having to hold the screw head with a Phillips screwdriver and grope around for half hidden wing nuts). Also, the mottled surface of the glass bed doesn't seem to require any adhesive (yet!).

The cube printed well, though there is a very small Y- shift 2/3 of the way through. According to the Eryone FB group, this is probably caused by the heatbed cable catching on the frame - a Thingiverse bracket will cure it.
JPEG_20201013_135129_resize_12.jpg

So far, so good.

Rik
PS I'll now have to put it away until Christmas Day (says the missus ......) Unless, of course, my old printer develops an unexpected and mysterious fault.... ;)

Rik

roybikerdude

Registered
22 Sep 2020
Best answers
I've had great luck with my Creality 10S. Its the big brother of the ender. You get larger print volume.