When is a lineside item not a lineside item?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Answer:

When it's a garden feature.

It's my wife's birthday soon and one of the things she wanted was 'something with movement' to fill an old Belfast sink that she'd planted with herbs which didn't do well. About a week later karl1036 offered a 17" G Scale Windmill for sale and when he'd sent me the photo I realised that it could be perfect for the job (but if it wasn't, I could always use it on my railway!).

So I bought it off Karl (it arrived very quickly and was extremely well packed :clap: ). It was straight forward to build but a bit fiddly doing up the nuts and bolts at the head end (a bit like doing 1/2 scale Meccano!) and after spraying it some bright colours, here's the result:

Windmill002.jpg

I'm very pleased with my purchase - and my wife thinks the resulting feature is just what she wanted.

Result!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
neat and thoughtfull:clap:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Needs a water tank next to it....and a branch line. Uh oh, here we go...:D
'Tis very nice :clap:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[SIZE=4 font="courier new"]kool..i have 2 of those same as yr,,,,one on the top of my arches and aslo on the layout with a name on the vane!!!!...yes it so annoy to built it up for hours,,,,,so tiny nuts and bolts...lol....so best way it use oilin it every yr.....[/SIZE]

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Incredible! That same exact windmill is everywhere. Although I haven't seen it in the color of the one you have. It's a good design, and has been in my garden railway for ten years. I wonder if it's design is copywrited?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Madman said:
Incredible! That same exact windmill is everywhere. Although I haven't seen it in the color of the one you have. It's a good design, and has been in my garden railway for ten years. I wonder if it's design is copywrited?
It's a kit that was made in the USA Madman, so chances are it's the same as one as yours! Except I spray painted mine.

They are a good looking model aren't they?

Here's a piccy of the box:

66da509108bd406fba336f1ca267c519.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
These thing are still in use here in California on the farms and vinyards they make great photo subjects........................Personaly I prefere mine with motor!!!!
ded02bacf3d84f1e9cd38d8dca48463f.jpg
74b29b173cf24868b15aa5f256a2f656.jpg
7850aef174d844cfb37e95854123c5c7.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
have one too 
nice quality once you lock the nuts with glue-a bit fiddly to assemble with tiny nuts and limited access at the interlocking angles

a drop of oil or two on the bearings really helps them spin

they also weather nicely after years
-saw one on the Colo RR museum layout thats a nice dull grey raw metal now

a good quality product for a very low price-here they still sell for about $27 
there is another made by Tom Muella which really looks like the ones in the pictures-but its resin, delicate and costs $90-and very likely to get broken with outdoor use and handling

POLA also offered one at one time, along with an oil derrick -bet they were both beauties