What Paint ???

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon All, I am building a dock at side of pond, dock wall is partly above water & partly under water, so i don't have problem with it rotting i have constructed it from plastic facsia boarding, trouble is it's white, not really the right colour,could anyone please advise me on what i could paint it with that would not be harmfull to fish and plants. All help very welcome,Thanks Pete...:wits:

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
ped said:
Afternoon All, I am building a dock at side of pond, dock wall is partly above water & partly under water, so i don't have problem with it rotting i have constructed it from plastic facsia boarding, trouble is it's white, not really the right colour,could anyone please advise me on what i could paint it with that would not be harmfull to fish and plants. All help very welcome,Thanks Pete...:wits:

Very interesting question and I hope to see an answer soon, as you may have noticed I am very keen on PVC cladding as a building material and will also want to paint it. I scrounge around whenever I see Everest or similar vans around the neighbourhood and am accumulating a fair collection of the stuff

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Funnily enough, I'm having some of this uPVC fitted right now, and one of the 5m long vented boards was found to be warped or 'banana' shaped, by the workmen.

We popped out to do some shopping for an hour, and came back to find the Director of the Cladding firm and a Sales Rep from the manufacturer (who just happened to be passing on his way down from Alfreton) on site to look at the problem.

Maybe I should scrouge a few off cuts myself, as well as the warped board, as it can't be used and thus is effectively scrap....

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Ped,

go to B&Q and get asmall testr pot of their masonry paint - that may work, biut do roughen slightly the cladding to get it to bite, the alternative is some boat paint. Try it on some scrap and then dunk & keep under water for a while) the painted scrap.

Whether it will stand up to ice I do not know - that is likely to be the main thing against the masonry paint l think.

Antifouling paint may be better than the glss (boatside) paint perhaps?

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
You can get wood colored facia if you have nt bought it already. Walnut, or oak is common these days.

Hi Wod, bought, BOUGHT, i come from a long line of Yorkshire men, i don,t do b b bu....... I can,t bring myself to say that word, joking aside, unfortunatley i have already built dock, so too late now, did'nt know about coloured facia wish i had have, would have made things a lot easier, still the white facia was free so can't complain...

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Peter, thanks for that, did'nt give boat paint a thought,we have a chanderlers just down the road from us,I will call in and have a word, Thanks once again, Regards Ped.(pete).:clap:

A

Alec K

I'm just completing the second lineside building made from a spare length of uPVC soffit board: glued, drilled and screwed with decking screws, and covered with spare pieces of Jacksons Miniatures moulded stone, roofing slate and planking sheets, fixed with Evo Stik. Primed with Halfords grey primer and finished with either Humbrol enamel washes or Halfords car spray paint as appropriate. Final coat of matt acrylic varnish applied last night.

Both buildings disguise and shelter electrical switch/control boxes from the weather.

Can't comment on safe coatings for fish I'm afraid.

Regards,

Alec K