What loco...?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Currently my "fleet" is sparse. I have one LGB WP&Y Alco diesel which is a great puller. I then have a U class which is very old. Says "made in western germany" so the first owner must have been before the wall came down!

The U class is great for trundling round with a light load but I don't want to abuse it and it soons slips anyway. I have r1s and a 1 in 35 gradient.

Minimum budget is the biggest parameter, think would like it to be steam outline, but not massively worried. Needs grunt!

So chaps, what suggestions? 2nd hand is fine - everything I have including track is!!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway - 25/11/2009 10:21 PM

Currently my "fleet" is sparse. (snip) Minimum budget is the biggest parameter, think would like it to be steam outline, but not massively worried. Needs grunt!

So chaps, what suggestions? 2nd hand is fine - everything I have including track is!!

If you want cheap with grunt, a couple of Stainzes coupled together will pull pretty much anything you can hang on them. Perhaps a bit of a rolling stereotype, but there's a lot of 'em out there, going cheap! Don't go for the Schoema diesels unless you have plenty of lead to add to them. Far too light on their own.

If you have a windfall, any LGB Mallet is just perfect for your purposes.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
both the corpet, and the 2-6-2 sound ideal, for your needs , and for shear grunt, a rugens is best.. :)

KleineDicke

Trains, trains, and trains. Oh, did I mention tra
24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
The 2017 (or similar) 0-4-0 with powered tender in another possibility. Your choice of US (sort of) or German outline.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks everyone... george what is the loco- i like the look of it. Of all these here which is the cheapest easiest to ebay buy? I guess the stainz idea- but after that?

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I can second that George :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
As the WP loco is of North American origins, here are a couple options:

Sometimes, one can get the Mougls for not much money, especially the earlier ones.

Several have commented that the LGB Forneys are good pullers.

If you do not insist on LGB, the latest generation Bachmann Annie may be another option? They are big tho.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
KleineDicke - 27/11/2009 9:29 AM

The 2017 (or similar) 0-4-0 with powered tender in another possibility. Your choice of US (sort of) or German outline.

It actually had a prototype on the German TV program Winnetou reportedly.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway - 26/11/2009 5:42 PM
george what is the loco- i like the look of it.
LGB 22620 DR diesel Kö6503, also available as 23620 Santa Fé, and I think the 21625 in tasteful stars'n'stripes is the same.
Be careful, LGB do an 0-4-0 that looks similar so study the photos.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
If you are considering a diesel loco as an option you can pick up USA trains 44 tonner second hand quite cheap, occaisonaly come up on ebay. and they really can pull a lot of stock.

Unfortunately it seems steam outline hold there price better.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
hi dave it does R1? I am not hugely hung up on steam!

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
I can't say I've tried her around R1, Don't see why not pretty short loco,

Tell you what I'll try tomorrow I have some R1's tucked away in a cupboard post result here tomorrw.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Yes the 44 tonner does do R1 Curves. Just set up a basic curve in the garden and it went around without a problem. I also tried it with a wagon to check it and seemed fine. see attached pictures.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
hope they help

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
you are very kind Dave! Looks like that is well and truly on the list of possibilities if one comes up! Also thanks very much for the coal which arrived today!!