What happened at your workbench today?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah-ha!

I see 'Operation Lump Hammer' is underway..
:)

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
One of the things I enjoy about this thread is seeing Henri's name under the title and being reminded of the excellent projects he's been up to.
Thanks, Henri.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I think (cross fingers, touch wood, beseech Dame Fortune, etc.) the 3D printer is back in action.
Printed an outhouse -- all mod con, my railway -- with the ends of filament reels that I knew worked, and now I am embarking on a 24-hour job to make a shelter for the branch terminus with the new reel of filament that wasn't co-operating when I first loaded it a week ago.
First layer looked as though it might come unstuck from the bed, but the second and third layers seem to be going down properly.
Pray for me :confused:

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
One of the things I enjoy about this thread is seeing Henri's name under the title and being reminded of the excellent projects he's been up to.
Thanks, Henri.
That is very kind! Thank you so much sir!

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
After three false starts, I managed to get the terminus shelter printing correctly and it has been running all night with some hours yet to go.
So far, so good :whew: -- gremlins please be busy elsewhere.

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The first part of the station is complete - a small signal box to a slightly amended design some might recognise...
The brick structure is 3D printed, with the rest made up from laser cut ply. Painted in acrylic and sealed with some matte varnish to keep the worst of the weather off it. (Not that it will be left outside for any sort of period!)

Interior still to do, a lever frame is printing at the moment and I will add to that a floor, furniture and shelf.

1649767735513.png
1649767757804.png
1649767793113.png
1649767819611.png
1649767849673.png

Reactions: 1 users

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
More of the same today, though a case of modelling imitating the real world, as I wait for news from the insurance roofing contractor regarding repairs to my abode after Storm Eustice - I knew that would be fun, as we have horrid French tiles which have not been available in the UK for 25 years. Much easier, though in G Scale world - cut out old duff tiles and stick on some patches of sponge rubber bathmat. I'm hoping this method works, as the loco shed has some much bigger roof repairs needed.
roof_patch.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
More of the same today, though a case of modelling imitating the real world, as I wait for news from the insurance roofing contractor regarding repairs to my abode after Storm Eustice - I knew that would be fun, as we have horrid French tiles which have not been available in the UK for 25 years. Much easier, though in G Scale world - cut out old duff tiles and stick on some patches of sponge rubber bathmat. I'm hoping this method works, as the loco shed has some much bigger roof repairs needed.
View attachment 297301
That is a very effective solution as promising as Jamie’s work.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
My latest project is coming along nicely. It is destined to be coach No 16, an Auto-trailer all third class, for the Claptowte Railway. It is a project that I have had in mind for many years but other projects have come first. It is based on two LGB Toy Train 4-wheel coaches mounted nose to nose on bogies. The modifications are all well tried and tested on previous conversions, obviously the driving cab is a new innovation. Having said that, a lot of work has gone into this project, while none of the modifications are complicated, there are a lot of them. The underframe and coach bodies are just about complete, just the roof to construct. There will be a lot of painting needed to complete the model. There will be coach No 17, its twin, that will be a first/third Auto-trailer, this will be the last passenger coach built for the Claptowte Railway, as there are no plans for any more passenger stock, although, of course, never say never again. The pair running either end of Claptowte Railway steam locomotive No 3 'Yvonne'. For the time being, I think work in the garden is going to have to come first.

dig 220415001.JPG

David

Last edited:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of work that's been in progress for the last few weeks, some decals, I got Tom at Endon Valley custom decals to make up and arrived this week, some Isle of Man loco and coach numbers, not cheap due to design cost, but, well see the pics :) so as it was dry today out, varnish time!
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
My latest project is coming along nicely. It is destined to be coach No 16, an Auto-trailer all third class, for the Claptowte Railway. It is a project that I have had in mind for many years but other projects have come first. It is based on two LGB Toy Train 4-wheel coaches mounted nose to nose on bogies. The modifications are all well tried and tested on previous conversions, obviously the driving cab is a new innovation. Having said that, a lot of work has gone into this project, while none of the modifications are complicated, there are a lot of them. The underframe and coach bodies are just about complete, just the roof to construct. There will be a lot of painting needed to complete the model. There will be coach No 17, its twin, that will be a first/third Auto-trailer, this will be the last passenger coach built for the Claptowte Railway, as there are no plans for any more passenger stock, although, of course, never say never again. The pair running either end of Claptowte Railway steam locomotive No 3 'Yvonne'. For the time being, I think work in the garden is going to have to come first.

View attachment 297312

David
Interesting. How are you planning to make the roof?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting. How are you planning to make the roof?
The original roofs, each shortened by 4mm, glued end on, reinforced underneath by a plasticard sheet. A rib glued across the top, to match the originals, to hide the join. There will have to be a number of holes drilled to take GRS lamp tops and ventilators, etc. Basically a copy of the roof of coach No 15, the observation coach.

1650042962903.png

David

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
After fitting the Cale with batteries a few weeks ago, with batteries in the boiler and control gear in one side tank, but the charging socket and on/off switch just loose in the smoke box, so after a bit of a think, I came up with a plan.
DSC_0024.JPG
I decided to look at putting them in the tool box, so after dismantling, I could see that it was attached from below by 2 bolts, once undone, the top was gently sawn off, it was soldered on and just need the ends sawing to loosen
DSC_0017.JPG
Between the bolt holes where 2 larger holes which I opened up to fit the switch and socket, also the wire that forms the hasp needs trimming in the box.
DSC_0019.JPG
Holes to match where drilled in the top of the side tank, the bolts can be discarded (they are in the way anyway) as the switch/socket will clamp it all back in place.
DSC_0021.JPG
A bit of plasticard was cut to fit snugly in the box and glued to the underside of the tool box lid.
DSC_0023.JPG
Job done just a little note on the underside to remind me of on/off, mainly for battery charging!!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
new project started, a station building for the line, based on Union Mills, my first effort with foam board
DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG
The overseer slept on whilst I cut doors and windows
DSC_0028.JPG

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I had a short between motor and track in an Aristocraft C16..
IMG_20220521_174945.jpg
This meant a complete tear-down, of the motion and block.. :(:rolleyes:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I had a short between motor and track in an Aristocraft C16..
View attachment 298763
This meant a complete tear-down, of the motion and block.. :(:rolleyes:
So where was the short?

There's a thick neoprene (or something) gasket between the two halves - and the halves are not the same size; one is slightly thicker than the other.

The only place for a short is probably the motor terminals, as I don't think it matters electrically if you put the axles in the wrong way round.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
T'was on the connector..
IMG_20220521_180441.jpg
I trimmed the motor-tag, found the track-power and motor pins were connected by a track on the board..
IMG_20220521_182604.jpg
All back together, and tested.
:nerd::)

PhilP

Djjerme

Registered
11 Jul 2021
Oregon
Best answers
Country flag
PXL_20220523_182846280.jpg

Ongoing projects.. biggest right now is "upgrading" a Bachmann stock car (will have full post when completed) and getting both 3D printers dialed in.

Trying to get some rhythm going with working on rolling stock and actually building the railroad now the rains have stopped for a few days.