What happened at your workbench today?

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty much finished the truss bridge. I need to create the end mountings where it sits on the embankment piers, cut (stain and seal) the wooden decking, and paint the whole thing. Otherwise, major construction is finished.
3FB2F17A-1510-499D-9754-6C6AF9007F33.jpeg90D52A23-3152-4474-97AD-EDEC0CB177A7.jpeg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of progress on the Thorley Miniatures signal box for Gernise End on the Claptowte Railway. I decided that rather than leave any interior detailing until sometime in the future, I would incorporate it into the build as I went along. To that end I glued some offcuts of 3mm foamex sheet across the two end walls and halfway along the side walls, so as not to obscure the basement windows, to a height 3.0mm below floor level. I then cut a piece of 3.0mm plasticard to sit on top of, and be supported by, the foamex, to form the signal box floor. I scribed the plasticard to represent floorboards and drew a razor saw sideways along the length of the boards to impart the appearance of wood grain.

I then fabricated a chimney breast, with fireplace and hearth, out of 3.0mm plasticard. I drilled and opened out a hole in the bottom of the chimney breast and a corresponding hole in the floor to allow wires to be passed from a battery box, to be mounted under the floor, to an internal light and an outside lamp.

The photos below have skipped a couple of stages, the interior of the box and floor have been painted, the windows, door and glazing have been installed. I have installed a fire in the grate, made by picking at, with some pointed tweezers, a suitably cut down piece of the make up sponge that I used to paint the brickwork, then paining it. I am awaiting some Foamex with which to cut and construct a signal lever frame.

I have made, yet to be painted, a table and a chair from plasticard.

dig 210303001.JPG

dig 210303002.JPG

dig 210303003.JPG

dig 210303004.JPG

dig 210303005.JPG

David

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of progress on the Thorley Miniatures signal box for Gernise End on the Claptowte Railway. I decided that rather than leave any interior detailing until sometime in the future, I would incorporate it into the build as I went along. To that end I glued some offcuts of 3mm foamex sheet across the two end walls and halfway along the side walls, so as not to obscure the basement windows, to a height 3.0mm below floor level. I then cut a piece of 3.0mm plasticard to sit on top of, and be supported by, the foamex, to form the signal box floor. I scribed the plasticard to represent floorboards and drew a razor saw sideways along the length of the boards to impart the appearance of wood grain.

I then fabricated a chimney breast, with fireplace and hearth, out of 3.0mm plasticard. I drilled and opened out a hole in the bottom of the chimney breast and a corresponding hole in the floor to allow wires to be passed from a battery box, to be mounted under the floor, to an internal light and an outside lamp.

The photos below have skipped a couple of stages, the interior of the box and floor have been painted, the windows, door and glazing have been installed. I have installed a fire in the grate, made by picking at, with some pointed tweezers, a suitably cut down piece of the make up sponge that I used to paint the brickwork, then paining it. I am awaiting some Foamex with which to cut and construct a signal lever frame.

I have made, yet to be painted, a table and a chair from plasticard.

View attachment 281715

View attachment 281716

View attachment 281717

View attachment 281718

View attachment 281719

David
Nicely done David. It’s a great kit as are the others in the Thorley range.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Trial installation of the truss bridge. Still needs the decking, painting etc. Plus the area needs to be tidied up - early March is not the best time in the garden, but we’re getting there.
80F8C8EE-1835-490A-9A9E-CCDF15E2A8C1.jpeg3F0236F4-53AD-4E0E-ACCA-6F092910C364.jpeg

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Printed and fixed a coupling hook to a very early LGB tanker, ( circa 1964? ) they were a different design to the current hook and look and you cannot use these types but found the correct design on ‘Thingiverse’
DaveA8C7DCEB-43FA-45C7-87B9-9047283B5838.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Tanker man, how is this coupler different? I can't make it out from the photo.

Incidentally, I think the LGB brand started in 1968, so your wagon may be from that year rather than 1964.

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jasper
i have another tanker of that era to modify, will put up another picture when I bring it in from the shed..........thanks, I knew LGB started in the ‘60 but was not quite sure when, hence the ‘?’
cheers
Dave

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tanker man, how is this coupler different? I can't make it out from the photo.

Incidentally, I think the LGB brand started in 1968, so your wagon may be from that year rather than 1964.
I have the very first LGB Cat allegedly dated 1968 but I can find no date reference in it, sadly I guess they were not thinking collectors then! 3 Stainz, coaches, wagons limited track, controllers and a few figures that was yer lot. All fitted with those horrible couplers that are a pain to uncouple from the newer type. Which is why my only 2 vehicles to have them are permanently marshalles in 2 coaching stock sets in the centre. They can be an issue to get another hook on. I have use sundry methods botching a current hook and scratch building a replacement out of brass. Not sure when the newer ones came in but my early small format cats go to 1974/5 issue and those couplers were still around then. I have a cat for 1985 and they were still present but cunningly hidden at the rear of every picture of every item of stock. But they were still present in the 1986 cat but had certainly gone by 1991. Perhaps someone may have the in between cats or be able to work out dates from Compendium, sadly mine is German so that does not help me.

Cat No1 Cover 1968
image.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The Stanz must be the Garden Railway world's VW Beetle, still going strong, and with very little changes, for 50 years. Some going. I wonder how many originals are still out there doing their bit?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have the very first LGB Cat allegedly dated 1968 but I can find no date reference in it, sadly I guess they were not thinking collectors then! 3 Stainz, coaches, wagons limited track, controllers and a few figures that was yer lot. All fitted with those horrible couplers that are a pain to uncouple from the newer type. Which is why my only 2 vehicles to have them are permanently marshalles in 2 coaching stock sets in the centre. They can be an issue to get another hook on. I have use sundry methods botching a current hook and scratch building a replacement out of brass. Not sure when the newer ones came in but my early small format cats go to 1974/5 issue and those couplers were still around then. I have a cat for 1985 and they were still present but cunningly hidden at the rear of every picture of every item of stock. But they were still present in the 1986 cat but had certainly gone by 1991. Perhaps someone may have the in between cats or be able to work out dates from Compendium, sadly mine is German so that does not help me.

Cat No1 Cover 1968
View attachment 281767
The Stanz must be the Garden Railway world's VW Beetle, still going strong, and with very little changes, for 50 years. Some going. I wonder how many originals are still out there doing their bit?
I remember them running round at high level in most Beatties shops - looking at them and thinking, nah, way too expensive :worried::worried:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Cat No1 Cover 1968
View attachment 281767
Have you looked on the back cover, bottom left or bottom right. There may be a code which contains the year and month of publication. So 6809 or 0968 buried in it somewhere would mean it was published in September, 1968.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have you looked on the back cover, bottom left or bottom right. There may be a code which contains the year and month of publication. So 6809 or 0968 buried in it somewhere would mean it was published in September, 1968.
Just looked nothing like that, some of my other early 70’s cats have nothing like that either but do have a date on the cover.

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Later picture, as you can see on the left, there are the two types of LGB hooks, top the current one and below it, the one I have printed. You can see that there is no way of fixing the modern hook to the old style drawbar, as it has a grooved channel.
The way I have fixed the printed hook is to remove the ‘axel’ bar and drill a 3 mm hole in its place, then by careful eye, drill the channel in the drawbar and push a short length of brass tube through to fix it. A drop of super glue secures the rod. There is a ‘pip’ on the print to take a spring to keep the bar up to the loop, I found an old pen spring to be the exact size to do the job ( luckily, I have another to do the 2nd tanker!) .
Despite having reasonably level track, I do find that long trains can come uncoupled and as I don’t generally do any shunting on my railway, the double hooks are more of an advantage than a hindrance .
DaveAB92FA94-9F26-44B1-AACC-B35C79A7AE59.jpeg

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Dunnyrail, reading through that long post of yours, I passed the word "cat" some four times before it dawned on me: catalogue. Till then, I pondered "caterpillar?".

(This is not a reproach.)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Dunnyrail, reading through that long post of yours, I passed the word "cat" some four times before it dawned on me: catalogue. Till then, I pondered "caterpillar?".

(This is not a reproach.)
You need to "understand" Jon's ( dunnyrail dunnyrail ) posts, I have to admit, often I do have to read them more than once to get the full meaning, but he is full of very useful information :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry sometime in my impatience to type I do use shortcuts like Cat, EB and YT (Ebay / You Tube). Just me I am afraid, I am a very lazy writer something that used to get me into lots of trouble during all my school years. Especially with English teachers!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry sometime in my impatience to type I do use shortcuts like Cat, EB and YT (Ebay / You Tube). Just me I am afraid, I am a very lazy writer something that used to get me into lots of trouble during all my school years. Especially with English teachers!
It's a railway thing Jon, remember ABC when reporting things, Accurate, Brief and Consise, plus all those tops codes, stanox for example. And the need to be doing things rather than writing about it

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I am a very lazy writer
You most certainly aren't. You often go out of your way to help people out who are attempting something new to them, giving heaps of detail on what in your vast experience is the best way to do it. :nod: