What happened at your workbench today?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have fitted the additional bicycle supports to my new Wismar Railbus. Not the best piece of engineering by me, but very noticeable so I wanted to add them. I am hoping they will work on the model like the ptotype and stop the bikes from falling Off. Find out when the weather is good enough for a run.View attachment 269784View attachment 269785
Looks great, but what's that brass loco in the background?

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
I like that you build these supports. I Googled them, they also served for milk cans. (And probably many other things.)

View attachment 269797
The Prignitz narrow Gauge versions had an additional bar half way up the radiator. They seemed to make full use of the vulnerable storage. Thanks for the photo.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great, but what's that brass loco in the background?
That is my other interest. It is a 7mm Warren Shepherd kit for a GWR mogul. I have been building it since 2013. I thought lockdown would provide new impetus and I have done some more work on it, but I keep ending up in the garden with the LGB(as has been the case for the past 7 years). It was in the middle of the workbench but the Wismar pushed it out the way. I have been wondering how to fit those extra supports for a while.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I thought lockdown would provide new impetus and I have done some more work on it, but I keep ending up in the garden with the LGB
The true G Scaler!!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
. I thought lockdown would provide new impetus and I have done some more work on it, but I keep ending up in the garden
Well fortunately the weather has been too nice not to

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have had to narrow a couple of secondhand bogies (picked up dirt cheap at Steam in Beds) to fit to an IMR coach kit I'm working on. The first photo shows the sort of reduction needed -about 20mm in total. I removed the electrical pickups, unclipped the leaf springs and sanded the axleboxes back; then shortened the mounting lugs and the bearings: I just got away with not having to cut the axles. It needed some brass shims to keep the frames vertical, then new axlebox covers and a couple of bushes completed the work; installation required prototypical cutting of pockets in the back of the running boards, Proper testing awaits, but a quick push around my 4ft radius curves would suggest the surgery has been successful.

Attachments

• Width comparison.JPG
    Width comparison.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Completed with shims.JPG
    Completed with shims.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Running boards.JPG
    Running boards.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 0

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The coal staithes for the Claptowte Railway have been primed and await the marathon painting session, then 'coaling up'. I have already been thinking ahead to accessorising them. I have sourced some excellent filled coal sacks from the Modeltown range and was looking for some weighing scales. I could not find any commercially available in G Scale so I referred to ge-rik's illustrated write up on how he scratch built some for his garden railway. He very helpfully gave measurements of the various component parts as he went along, but right at the end was the caveat that he felt that the scales were slightly undersize and that if he were to make another set, he would increase the dimensions by about 25%, so I used that as my starting point. I followed his instructions but adapted them to the bits and materials I had to hand. The only extra embellishments were to add a handle to the scuttle, to raise it up, and handles to the tail end of the carriage to move it around. I found that the model was too high and I pulled it apart twice, and re-glued it, before I was happy. The end result of that is a slightly wonky tail leg and messy glue spots, but hey, the paint should hide everything.

P7100001.JPG

P7100002.JPG

P7100003.JPG

David

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sat looking at a Midnight Blue Part painted Loco trying to decide if I can live with the color of if this is the undercoat now :think: it's not midnight Blue it's, a lot lighter in real life it's nearly the color of the little loco in the picture, but it shows they do come in Blue :)Blue1.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sat looking at a Midnight Blue Part painted Loco trying to decide if I can live with the color of if this is the undercoat now :think: it's not midnight Blue it's, a lot lighter in real life it's nearly the color of the little loco in the picture, but it shows they do come in Blue :)View attachment 269851
I think it looks rather fetching, if you can manage to pick out the detail in black as that one in your picture you will have a loco to be really proud of.

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it looks rather fetching, if you can manage to pick out the detail in black as that one in your picture you will have a loco to be really proud of.

You mean the black bits with pin striping around them o_O

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
E1 work tram has to have a new pantograph, lost its old one. :)
Tram trailer got new window frames. they are now the same size. it is to become a tram car from Wuppertal. My friend started it.e1-10.07.2020.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I took out the stock lighting in 4 LGB Amfleet Phase IV cars and replaced with LED strips. Now you can actually see lights in the cars and control the brightness.

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6263.jpg

Last edited:

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from Post #402, the nearly finished fleet, today.
Just a few more dabs of paint and tweaks. They will look fine at a distance :D
I need to get a hold of a lump of coal...

IMG_20200705_200004.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Finish two lamps ready to install, still waiting on masking tape and lining tape to see if I can make a mess of the paint job on my Loco :)

lamps.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They are nice..

Do they work?

PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

Jasper