DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, thank you!!!! :D:wasntme:

My ‘room’ is also the dump for all stuff family related that no one wants to throw away, but doesn’t know what to do with it...
Ah I think when things are normal that you need introduce them to the local utility tip. That is is you have such things in Holland for recycling, probably has a very long unpronounceable to us Brits name to call it by.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I refuse to let you see my workbench, as I is a 'Perfeshunal' Person, and it may contain sensitive interelectual property! :nerd::):nod:

(Or it could be, I am just too embarrassed by the 'bomb-site' nature of my natural working environment!) :rolleyes::(

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Ah I think when things are normal that you need introduce them to the local utility tip. That is is you have such things in Holland for recycling, probably has a very long unpronounceable to us Brits name to call it by.
Kringloop it is called in Dutch.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
We (or at least I) don’t care, PhilP!!!! C’mon!

Ah! But my Customers might! :devil::devil::devil: <manic laughter>

(Cue thunder and lightning, organ music, and Igor shuffling past!)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
76745-modelle-atw-751-29.03.2020-.jpg

I always thought my workbench would be messy, but I'm not the only one. The most important thing is the coffee cup. Unfortunately the coffee is cold after the first sip.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

I always thought my workbench would be messy, but I'm not the only one. The most important thing is the coffee cup. Unfortunately the coffee is cold after the first sip.
I see you've perfected your Dastardly Tram Shrinking Machine.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag

HAHAHA! That's why I never take a coffee with me, it is cold before you know it! A white wine works much better, I can tell you!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A white wine works much better, I can tell you!
No beer is best, real ale even better. Could be a title of a new thread, Which drink is best for model making?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
This is a recent acquirement. I bought it cheap to get a minimum order amount for ‘free shipping’, it cost the same as the actual shipping...
But it is very, very handy! I really use it a lot, although it is not quite accurate, there is a lot of play. I might invest in a more expensive one. It’s worth it!

83FEDCEE-7CC1-46B7-9E0C-186AC9DCA70A.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This is a recent acquirement. I bought it cheap to get a minimum order amount for ‘free shipping’, it cost the same as the actual shipping...
But it is very, very handy! I really use it a lot, although it is not quite accurate, there is a lot of play. I might invest in a more expensive one. It’s worth it!

View attachment 263408
A vice is a most useful piece of kit, if you do get another try to get one with a small anvil (somewhere flat to bash a piece of metal flat) is well worth thinking about as this one below. This can also be twisted round also very handy, as you can see well used and abused.
D1272A0E-B79A-46FA-A6B2-C353D8F38D16.jpeg
Note also the 2 small hand made trays that live on the workbench, one with screws and drills below in odd plastic trays the top one keeping Solder, Flux and cleaning stuff plus some varying paint brush cleaners oils etc. Basically frequently used things that will fit. The bottles are those free Jam Bottles that one gets in Hotels. That red thing is an Air Brush holder, with the white L’s that are for holding things square when used with clamps. Oh plus a small Pliers holder.

Below is another small watchmakers vice, so very useful for small precise jobs and very flexible in that it can twist in all shorts of directions. Obtained from a sadly deceased clockwork train users’s wife quite a few years back now.
46CF3102-BD9D-46DC-905E-275FD78F4AC9.jpeg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
As we are all under a lock-down, I am working through my stack of kits. The workbench is a 2'x4' piece of wood in a closet in the corner of our spare bedroom - this is a standard size Florida condo, so only 2 bedrooms and no garage.
However, we do have a large open deck/lanai (as they are called in FL) and I have a roll-top desk (bought for $75 off Craigslist) for when it is nice enough to work outside, or when the paint is drying and I don't want the smell in the bedrooms.
These are the parts for a wooden kit from Ozark Miniatures for a 10' backwoods caboose. It's a bit of a caricature, but should look quite interesting when done. I'm in the habit of spray (can) painting as much as I can before assembly - this is the wooden sides and the windows and doors.

20200330_112354_body-prep-caboose.jpg

Other flat surfaces are brought into use. This is the roof strapped to a large paint can to get it partly curved - easier to glue. The roof was soaked first and left to dry on the can.

20200330_112258_roof-prep.jpg

And finally (for now) the caboose as it is currently sitting on my primary bench.

20200402_165712_cupola-trial2.jpg

This is a test fit of the cupola parts in the roof, held apart by a side piece. It also shows about 1/2 the workbench, plus there are shelves above and below holding boxes and boxes of stuff - wheels, nuts and bolts, mini-saw, chargers, etc., etc.
(I was thinking of posting more pics of this build if anyone is interested, in a separate thread?)

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at what some have for space, for any sort of "Modeling", makes me feel bad, and getting worse.
Some of the best in modeling skills, seem to come from those with the least space. Well done, everyone.
It shames me to the point of complete, and utter embarrassment, considering that I have much space, but it seems devoted to gobs, and gobs of unused "motivation, and laziness.
It seems I do nothing more than converting couplers for others, a minor bit of trestle deck building, dreaming, and sharing thoughts with others, on internet, or telephone. The ingredients for the three part wood preservative/stain, have been moved out of a box, and onto a table. All that progress has taken over a week. The coupler projects are sitting, looking at me with hopeful stares of distrust, and doubtfulness. The stacks of Motivation are building higher towards the ceiling.
Help is beginning to look distant, with the thought of doing anything constructive out of doors is diminished by constant waves of showers or rain, flirting by, almost daily. The latest weather game put on by HRH Mr.Nature, is for the normal West to East movement of systems, interrupted, and reversed, to send them back, heading East to West, giving us a second bath, within days. The Storm gods seem to be in retirement, and not clobbering that old queen, to get here finally off the throne, toilet paper or no....!!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at what some have for space, for any sort of "Modeling", makes me feel bad, and getting worse.
Some of the best in modeling skills, seem to come from those with the least space. Well done, everyone.
It shames me to the point of complete, and utter embarrassment, considering that I have much space, but it seems devoted to gobs, and gobs of unused "motivation, and laziness.
It seems I do nothing more than converting couplers for others, a minor bit of trestle deck building, dreaming, and sharing thoughts with others, on internet, or telephone. The ingredients for the three part wood preservative/stain, have been moved out of a box, and onto a table. All that progress has taken over a week. The coupler projects are sitting, looking at me with hopeful stares of distrust, and doubtfulness. The stacks of Motivation are building higher towards the ceiling.
Help is beginning to look distant, with the thought of doing anything constructive out of doors is diminished by constant waves of showers or rain, flirting by, almost daily. The latest weather game put on by HRH Mr.Nature, is for the normal West to East movement of systems, interrupted, and reversed, to send them back, heading East to West, giving us a second bath, within days. The Storm gods seem to be in retirement, and not clobbering that old queen, to get here finally off the throne, toilet paper or no....!!
So get those couplings done, then do whatever you are doing with the preservative. You will then be all ready for when the weather improves with nothing to get in your way!

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
Fred I hope this and several other treads on this great forum inspire you to restart building if you feel so. Many levels of craftmenship, one only updates old LGB wagons, others build their own locomotives and everything in between.
And then it’s not a competition, it is just to have fun if you feel so! ;-)