What happened at your workbench today?

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
There's something about scrubbed brass that almost makes it a shame to paint it...
20231124_132305.jpg
Almost, but not quite!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Tuffnells went bust - were bought out by Shift.

Just delete the 'f' :mad:

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The bomb wagons were built by Hudsons on their chassis; we know them as skip wagon chassis. I bought a brass kit from Mike's Models, but had to make up new side rails from folded brass sheet to lengthen it.
20231124_163207.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Spent several hours at the workbench for a good friend of mine, he required a few items for the Christmas Window Shop Display he organises in the village he resides in.

Got it into his head, that, this year the display would benefit from viewer and visitor interaction, silly person, recipe for disaster letting the Great Unwashed anywhere near anything remotely electronic!

EPL Momentary Push Button Switch Left .jpg

EPL Momentary Push Button Switch Right .jpg

EPL Momentary Push Button Switch .jpg

Methinks a price increase is in order, heavens knows how Gaugemaster has the bare faced cheek to charge the exorbitant sum of money for a switch and a couple of diodes!

As below, even had change back from a pound!

EPL Momentary Switch Left.jpg

EPL Momentary Switch Right.jpg

Last edited:

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
In between spraying the metalwork for the bomb wagon, I found time to clean and repair the Hartford 'Ely-Thomas' log car. A new brake block was bashed from a Cambrian moulding, the rodding was fixed with lo-melt solder and a missing piece of strapping was recreated. The couplings have had whitemetal pins fixed permanently, which is perhaps explained by the description 'ex-display': it was very dusty too -and all the bearing surfaces were dry.
20231126_170530.jpg
20231126_170546.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Can you tell what it is yet ?

dig 231127001.JPG

David

By the way, the white powder in the bag is white glitter, nothing dodgy, it's not to be sniffed at.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
In between spraying the metalwork for the bomb wagon, I found time to clean and repair the Hartford 'Ely-Thomas' log car. A new brake block was bashed from a Cambrian moulding, the rodding was fixed with lo-melt solder and a missing piece of strapping was recreated. The couplings have had whitemetal pins fixed permanently, which is perhaps explained by the description 'ex-display': it was very dusty too -and all the bearing surfaces were dry.
View attachment 321096
View attachment 321097
One of those wagons that is almost better running empty :inlove:

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
All and sundry, especially those when you get five minutes jobs, completed, and winging their way through the postal service.

Tidy up, clear workbench for the present, bags of bubble wrap, bags of polystyrene snow, jiffy bags, cardboard boxes etc, recycled, well part traded with my local supplies shop for some essential items.

Still just about warm enough to run a train, then it's back to the Foam Core Board, and to keep the two 3D printers busy churning out items.

Workbench in the shed.jpg

The Playmobil Crane project, temporarily housed in the other shed, awaiting a few items to complete the motorisation, the completed units are due for delivery in person on the 21st of next month, just seen on the left in the picture above the 'Home Brew' speed controller for testing.

Just a taster in the pictures below, this is how the motorisation looks at present, still a lot more to do, to complete the Crane Project.

Playmobil Crane chassis.jpg

Playmobil Crane base.jpg

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
All and sundry, especially those when you get five minutes jobs, completed, and winging their way through the postal service.

Tidy up, clear workbench for the present, bags of bubble wrap, bags of polystyrene snow, jiffy bags, cardboard boxes etc, recycled, well part traded with my local supplies shop for some essential items.

Still just about warm enough to run a train, then it's back to the Foam Core Board, and to keep the two 3D printers busy churning out items.

View attachment 321150

The Playmobil Crane project, temporarily housed in the other shed, awaiting a few items to complete the motorisation, the completed units are due for delivery in person on the 21st of next month, just seen on the left in the picture above the 'Home Brew' speed controller for testing.

Just a taster in the pictures below, this is how the motorisation looks at present, still a lot more to do, to complete the Crane Project.

View attachment 321151

View attachment 321152
I haven't seen drawing board clips for years!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't seen drawing board clips for years!
Certainly not used like that - similar things still exist to stop table cloths from blowing away when dining al fresco :nod::nod: we bought some for the Jubilee tea party :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Got turned into a complete shambles after working on my TT120 layout in my dining room, tidy up due today!
image.jpg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 321150

View attachment 321151

View attachment 321152

Alot of frightening looking gadgets on that wall.....Are you sure they're meant for playing with your train.....?.....They look like they belong in a hospital setting.....:giggle:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks pretty organised to me! Quite envious

Thanks for that, somewhat better after the tidy up but TT120 stuff including cork underlay needs another box to store it out of the way while some g stuff occurs.
image.jpg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am sort of envious, your work spaces seem to be on an industrial scale, compared to the modest 100 x 80 cm that I have available to turn out my models, taken 30.4.2018.

dig 180430001.JPG

David

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am sort of envious, your work spaces seem to be on an industrial scale, compared to the modest 100 x 80 cm that I have available to turn out my models, taken 30.4.2018.

View attachment 321271

David
Thanks David, I was pretty lucky with this house as the room is an add on in an otherwise dead space was created for a home office by the previous occupants. Was immediately lined up as a workshop with no SWMBO to object, though a good lady friend who visited about a couple of months after I moved in was surprised that the only organised room was that workshop. Priorities!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Bit of a nightmare with a Brekina VW Drasine..
The 'mazac' chassis is beginning to break-down, and has blown itself apart where the motor is clamped in place..
IMG_20231202_160413.jpg
You can also see it is delamination, along the side of the motor..

I managed to drill-through the lower mounting point, and tap 2mm. - Had to go to a M2x10mm cap-head screw.

The upper mount, the thread had pretty much gone, but there is something hard in the 'mazac' and I could not break through with the 1.6mm drill. :(
Tapped the (blind) hole, and managed to get purchase with a 6mm screw. Had to do the same on the front mounting, as well.

The pickups on the front axle are shot, and I don't have anything suitable to replace them with..

The wheels are horrible, so I might have to fit a power buffer, but was hoping to use a cast-off 55021, but I can't find the resources for connecting to one of these.

PhilP

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
One horse power Snow clearer along with a large sposh of WD40, back at the workbench in the shed.

Finally achieved a solution to what has been a frustrating problem, a working gear for a Linear Servo.:mad:

No problems printing the Servo Mounting and the Rack, the gear itself caused no end of grief, a chance posting on the German Forum I belong to, a poster there was experiencing the same issues with the gear wheel using the Ender 3, a number of correspondences later and a tad head scratching between the pair of us, viola we now both are able to successfully print out the gear wheel. :)

I know small success, easily pleased!:)

Linear Servo ON.jpg

Linear Servo OFF.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One horse power Snow clearer along with a large sposh of WD40, back at the workbench in the shed.

Finally achieved a solution to what has been a frustrating problem, a working gear for a Linear Servo.:mad:

No problems printing the Servo Mounting and the Rack, the gear itself caused no end of grief, a chance posting on the German Forum I belong to, a poster there was experiencing the same issues with the gear wheel using the Ender 3, a number of correspondences later and a tad head scratching between the pair of us, viola we now both are able to successfully print out the gear wheel. :)

I know small success, easily pleased!:)

View attachment 321332

View attachment 321333
That looks really useful..
What is the travel, please?

PhilP