Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I've just fitted them on the two units of my current railbus project and am itching to try them out. But only once I find out why I have red headlamps showing at both ends :D Someone's got his wires crossed.
Beware! It may have been possessed by the spirit of Christine! :eek:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Update to this post by curtis curtis ,

Having already translated and compiled an earlier updated set of instructions, a further update incorporating the additional information supplied by curtis curtis

Instructions.JPG

Purely for academic purposes interrogated the original project files downloadable from the LGB website.
Manually edited the mfx file(s) and compiled back into new mdtp project file(s), future idea for use with a MP3 player.

L33350.JPG

L33353.JPG

Converted the original sourced WAV sound files to MP3, tested with the MP3 player project designed for the Playmobil Crane.

WAV to MP3.JPG
Testing a MP3 player designed for use with Playmobil Crane project.

MP3 Player.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Continuing the theme, so to speak.

One of the many drawbacks of using the products and services supplied with the the later decoders from LGB/Marklin is that for obvious reasons they are geared towards using the mfx standard and protocols, which often leaves big gaps in acquiring information regarding DCC.

One such area is the ability to produce Idiot Cards, which is a very simple process when using the Massoth Service Tool Program.

But not all is lost, with ingenuity, mouse and keyboard control, voila, the creation of Idiot Cards is possible!

Screenshots below taken from created PDF's from the information gleaned from the mDT/3 software program.

LGB 33350.JPG

LGB 33353.JPG

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've just fitted them on the two units of my current railbus project and am itching to try them out. But only once I find out why I have red headlamps showing at both ends :D Someone's got his wires crossed.
Yup, with LEDs you need the anode from one end to the cathode at the other - then all you need to do is adjust it for the correct direction - s'easy ;);)

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I cut the couplings in half:
IMG_8880.jpeg

I think that it looks just right on the switcher.
IMG_8878.jpeg
Swithcher and flat car coupled up.
IMG_8882.jpeg
Full length Porter House Models coupler fitted to the flat car.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Continuing the expermination with the MP3 Player and LGB 55028 and LGB 55029 decoders.

LGB 55029 MP3 and external interface.jpgLGB 55029 mDT3.JPG

LGB 55028 MP3 and external interface.jpg
LGB 55028 mDT1.JPG
LGB 55028 Decoder Functions.JPG

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
For a change of scenery, and a change in the weather, set up the outdoor workbench, which earned brownie points from 'Herself'

Continuing on from this post,

Fair amount of cutting and trimming, seems the idea may well work after all! :D

Idea for the Fuchs 63 163.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
For a change of scenery, and a change in the weather, set up the outdoor workbench, which earned brownie points from 'Herself'

Continuing on from this post,

Fair amount of cutting and trimming, seems the idea may well work after all! :D

View attachment 318678
That’s looking different already!

Mark

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Spent today checking over Crib Lane my loco shed layout and setting it up for tomorrows (23/9/23) Enfield Whitewebbs Railway Modellers show. Will have a few locos I’ve not exhibited previously on the layout.4F9B3870-BEC6-410B-B57C-4F34343395DE.jpeg6E410839-4152-4D0D-96F1-A9CE25A6633A.jpeg9B4EE1D8-9197-4AEB-AF8E-79EAFC15D2DC.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've not been to Whitewebbs for years. I ought to as from what I remember it's a great museum

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
I've not been to Whitewebbs for years. I ought to as from what I remember it's a great museum
Yes it’s a great site! There looks to be so much in the museum buildings. There s also a lot of railwayana including what looks like part of the old buildings from Enfield Chase station!7430AE71-74FC-46F3-977B-68B73CF79836.jpegBE583787-4474-4BC5-AB5F-3481A43D65E5.jpeg28BF1DEA-63D6-4F1B-8441-ED1E51B86E76.jpeg04172FA5-6B13-419F-B9F2-007CE3D42FC5.jpeg

Attachments

• EF951F12-B47E-4996-9C4C-8BDFB4F5FF42.jpeg
    EF951F12-B47E-4996-9C4C-8BDFB4F5FF42.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We had a bit of a disaster with my Piko 2-10-2t on Wednesday. Somehow a rod broke and it was lifting the loco off the track sideways.IMG_7608.jpeg
There has already been a repair in this area as can be seen by the nut n bolt on the broken rod and a washer beneath the crank. But that crank is 180 degrees out of sync so had moved and was hitting the footplate above it with the rod diging into the ballast thus lifting the loco off the track. this is a very real issue with the real thing as well and it was quite lucky that when a rod broke on Tornado a year or two back the same never occurred, just the luck of the gods, it shows why Fitness to run and build tests are so exacting on the big train set.

So initial thoughts were some brass cut to size bridging the break and perhaps 14ba nuts n bolts to secure it, but on reflection I think that would have weakened the rod in other places. So I cut some very thin copper as a L shape to join the broken rod together with superglue. You can see the thin copper on the side tank in the above photo. Below you can see it glued but the superglue would not take to the plastic.
IMG_7609.jpeg
So next try Araldite, seen here drying with clingfilm to stop the clips sticking to the rod. This will need an overnight cure so at this stage not sure if it will work.
IMG_7613.jpeg
Whilst mixing the Araldite made up enough for another small job, I have this resistance circuit thingy from Fosworks that can with luck resuscitate a dodgy NiMh Battery by draining all to I think Zero followed by a full charge. 1 of the potential runners on Wednesday would not play due to dodgy battery, a full charge occured in around 10 minutes so clearly something wrong as nothing worked on it today. The circuit made from veroboard had broke, so the wood hopefully will keep it all together. The extreme heat is located in the big white resistance. I never leave this thing to do its wonders alone so if the wood gets hot will be able to unplug the battery.
IMG_7614.jpeg
Finally made a start on cleaning up 3D printed Vac Pipes.
IMG_7615.jpeg

Last edited:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
We had a bit of a disaster with my Piko 2-10-2t on Wednesday. Somehow a rod broke and it was lifting the loco off the track sideways.View attachment 319166
There has already been a repair in this area as can be seen by the nut n bolt on the broken rod and a washer beneath the crank. But that crank is 180 degrees out of sync so had moved and was hitting the footplate above it with the rod diging into the ballast thus lifting the loco off the track. this is a very real issue with the real thing as well and it was quite lucky that when a rod broke on Tornado a year or two back the same never occurred, just the luck of the gods, it shows why Fitness to run and build tests are so exacting on the big train set.

So initial thoughts were some brass cut to size bridging the break and perhaps 14ba nuts n bolts to secure it, but on reflection I think that would have weakened the rod in other places. So I cut some very thin copper as a L shape to join the broken rod together with superglue. You can see the thin copper on the side tank in the above photo. Below you can see it glued but the superglue would not take to the plastic.
View attachment 319165
So next try Araldite, seen here drying with clingfilm to stop the clips sticking to the rod. This will need an overnight cure so at this stage not sure if it will work.
View attachment 319164
Whilst mixing the Araldite made up enough for another small job, I have this resistance circuit thingy from Fosworks that can with luck resuscitate a dodgy NiMh Battery by draining all to I think Zero followed by a full charge. 1 of the potential runners on Wednesday would not play due to dodgy battery, a full charge occured in around 10 minutes so clearly something wrong as nothing worked on it today. The circuit made from veroboard had broke, so the wood hopefully will keep it all together. The extreme heat is located in the big white resistance. I never leave this thing to do its wonders alone so if the wood gets hot will be able to unplug the battery.
View attachment 319163
Finally made a start on cleaning up 3D printed Vac Pipes.
View attachment 319162
Good luck with the repairs Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with the repairs Jon.
Thanks Paul, went pretty well the Araldite stuck fine but test found another issue, I had put a spring washer onto the crank and this lifted the 6 sided bolt that secures it, testing proved a jam when the crank got level with the rod. So pull apart and now there are 3 nuts spacing the crank from the rod as shown below. two licknuts over keep things in place.IMG_7619.jpeg
As can be seen below, not very pretty but a splodge of black paint should make it look good. Testing on the bench appears to show all is well, but I used some more Araldite to fill in gaps where the brass had not been touching the rod so another drying night before paint.

Attachments

• IMG_7620.jpeg
    IMG_7620.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a while since I have been able to do any modelling but I have found time to get back to some. My current project is the construction of the excellent Kippo Models water tower. The detail is beautifully moulded, although there was a fair amount of filing and sanding to clean up the resin castings. As usual I have added my own embellishments to add to the appearance, the main one being the addition of a ladder, fixed to the outside of the tower, giving access to the inspection cover on the tank roof. I used the same wire mesh, cut down, that I used to create the ladders on the Claptowte Railway signals. I also added a wire handle to the tank access hatch.

Due to a happy accident, I have two of these water towers, one will be installed at Gernise End Station, on the Claptowte Railway, the second will be beside the loco stabling sidings at Phidell Yard. I already have two 3D printed water cranes to get the water from the towers to the locos.

dig 231027001.JPG

David

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a while since I have been able to do any modelling but I have found time to get back to some. My current project is the construction of the excellent Kippo Models water tower. The detail is beautifully moulded, although there was a fair amount of filing and sanding to clean up the resin castings. As usual I have added my own embellishments to add to the appearance, the main one being the addition of a ladder, fixed to the outside of the tower, giving access to the inspection cover on the tank roof. I used the same wire mesh, cut down, that I used to create the ladders on the Claptowte Railway signals. I also added a wire handle to the tank access hatch.

Due to a happy accident, I have two of these water towers, one will be installed at Gernise End Station, on the Claptowte Railway, the second will be beside the loco stabling sidings at Phidell Yard. I already have two 3D printed water cranes to get the water from the towers to the locos.

View attachment 320242

David
That's one hell of cistern for an outdoor toilet, I bet the flush will shift anything :happy: :D