David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Not my regular workbench, you understand, a temporary set up, but you get my drift. A start made, but still a long way to go.

dig 240417001.jpg

dig 240417002.jpg

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not my regular workbench, you understand, a temporary set up, but you get my drift. A start made, but still a long way to go.

View attachment 326352

View attachment 326353

David
Those boards will be nice and heavy to carry into shows, even with ply tops. My Gauge3 4x2ft boards will be all ply with ply legs as well almost single finger lift for each board with legs separate, not that I am planning to do many shows with it more to do with storage and occasional getting them out for a play in the house.

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more experimenting with my Lionel rocket launcher, yesterday. I obtained a larger rocket so that lights could be placed at the bottom. Not quite perfect yet, so more tinkering to be done. I also ran the Lionel "Tie-Jector". This is an item I picked up a few years ago at a meet in Philly. This one dates to the mid fifties.

This puts my rocket launcher to shame;

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
This puts my rocket launcher to shame;

But there is something to the quiet, matter-of-fact ascend of that Space Shuttle. It just departs, without any fuss, like a train or a bus would. And don't forget: that's how Space Shuttles were conceived, they would depart and arrive all the time, like any regular transport. So to me, that looked simply right.

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 326352

View attachment 326353

David
A very smart set up. I envy your skills as I can only saw angled cuts even when they should be straight. Thought it was a bit mean that the “Bins” only gave you marks of 5 for your joinery!

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Another couple of paid jobs completed, assembling Stay Alive Capacitors and modifying the LGB 55028 Decoder for their use.

LGB 55028 with Stay Alive Capacitors.jpg

Additional circuitry for Signal Control, SR Latch and a Fade In/Out, operating from the Massoth Train Detection Module.

Massoth Train Detection  Module to SR Latch and Fade Out for Signal Control.jpg

Testing with a purchased Signal, and a 3D printed dwarf signal, all good.

Full Mast and 3D Dwarf Signal Red.jpg

3D printed Dwarf Signal Green.jpg

Full Mast Signal Green.jpg

Full Mast and 3D Dwarf Signal Green.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Back onto the smaller scale, short instruction course for some of the Club Members, converting a Hornby Class 08 from DC to DCC.

Hornby 08 prior to convertsiom to DCC.jpg

Hornby 08 Converted to DCC.jpg

As part of the Heritage Museum Display on the Hopetown Layout, require a Class 104 DMU, one method is the conversion of a Hornby 110, the Cab Ends are available on eBay for £25.00 a pair, not a chance!, home printed for a few pennies!

3D printed cab ends for converting a Hornby Class 110 to a Class 104.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
On my trip to North Elmham a house a few doors past where I was staying had a load of toys n stuff outside just help yourself. Sadly no Playmobil but on the third passing a light bulb moment hit at this. IMG_7938.jpegIMG_7937.jpeg
Pulled apart the Tank will be repainted and go in my factory. Other bits like fuel tank, exhaust, engine and wheeks will find use on conversions and in junk piles when rusted on my line. Not much will go to waste. The figure is I reckon 0 gauge so he will get a repaint and go into one of my 0 gauge coaches or Stephen’s Railcar.
IMG_7939.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
On my trip to North Elmham a house a few doors past where I was staying had a load of toys n stuff outside just help yourself. Sadly no Playmobil but on the third passing a light bulb moment hit at this. View attachment 326739View attachment 326737
Pulled apart the Tank will be repainted and go in my factory. Other bits like fuel tank, exhaust, engine and wheeks will find use on conversions and in junk piles when rusted on my line. Not much will go to waste. The figure is I reckon 0 gauge so he will get a repaint and go into one of my 0 gauge coaches or Stephen’s Railcar.
View attachment 326738
Blimey, the Milk Marketing Board - how old is that? OK. I thought it was a Bedford TK, but it says Leyland on the front, and the MMB was still going when I were a lad, just down the road at Thames Ditton - my mother had worked there before they got married :rock::rock::rock::rock:

But then again, how many left hand drive trucks did the MMB have :p:p:p

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Blimey, the Milk Marketing Board - how old is that? OK. I thought it was a Bedford TK, but it says Leyland on the front, and the MMB was still going when I were a lad, just down the road at Thames Ditton - my mother had worked there before they got married :rock::rock::rock::rock:

But then again, how many left hand drive trucks did the MMB have :p:p:p
Oh dear instead of trashing it should have ebayed it! Too late now.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Over here, we had milk marketing in the 70s, when I was a kid.

1713867319692.png

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear instead of trashing it should have ebayed it! Too late now.
Ha ha - I don't think it would have been valuable - interesting, but useless :giggle::giggle:

I don't think the model can be of any age - plastic chassis and steerable front wheels can't be any earlier than the 70s

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Over here, we had milk marketing in the 70s, when I was a kid.

View attachment 326753
The Milk Marketing Board wasn't just about advertising, in fact I don't think they did advertise much (unlike the Egg Marketing Board) - think Railway Clearing House for dairy farmers :nod::nod:

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
'The Repair Shop' is one of my favourite TV programmes yet I hate repairing stuff myself - much more fun creating something new. But birds/animals/footballs/clumsy pensioners etc present a constant challenge to vulnerable signals and so I've been repairing some. Despite being North Pilton Works ply, they've done remarkably well outside, modified and with oodles of primer and paint. The original LEDs are set in chunky coloured plastic domes, which looks good but I only have conventional 5mm bright LED replacements, so I've set these in clear acrylic disks of the same diameter - I keep a stock of these in various sizes and they are sold as bases for adventure games figures. I am also taking the opportunity to redesign the bases and track attachment, using a LGB 5071 cable holder as a pattern, as I found my original design failed to keep the signals pertly perpendicular after a year or two. It's an age thing, I suppose. Constantly learning. ;)
signal_repair.jpg