What Controller Do you Recomend?

Graham@4

Registered
31 Jul 2012
Best answers
Hi everyone,
This morning my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas (keep it clean!!). I'm new to G Scale but now have a small single track back garden set-up approx. size 16ft x 12ft with a 7ft siding.
So I've decided that I want a "top make" reliable nice looking analogue DC controller with a built in transformer to run up to say 25 volts with additional power terminals for track lights etc.
I'm sure many of you, over the years, have tried all of this type of controller that's on the market. So what do you advise me to go for?
Thanks all in anticipation for your help.
Best wishes, Graham @4

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm with Neil on this one?

I wouldn't recommend the Gaugemaster G Scale controller. I was given one recently that I've yet to get round to repairing. I've heard these are prone to failure. Shame as most Gaugemester controllers are very good....

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy....G'master have a lifetime warranty on their controllers...
Just box it up, and send it off, and it comes back fixed, normally within 10 days or so. All FREE!!!

I've got several for OO, but my O and G versions do get hot with continual running...
It seems that the case can't dissipate the increased power that the larger scales use. I have seen a unit being 'blown' by an external fan in the hope of reducing it's suitability to fry eggs on the case.

As to the original question...
I would have a separate power source for the lights
And provided that you're not running heavy trains hauled by USA trains diesels, or treb;e heading with small LGB type 040's....a LGB 2 amp supply ( located indoors ) and an LGB garden controller hut 5012 ( 2 amp version in green ) which turn up on the second hand market. Or the 5 amp equivalents.

Wouldn't reccommend using a mains powered unit outside

Malcolm

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
If you have any intentions on walking around with a remote controller then give some consideration to the Aristocraft Train Engineer. 10 amps at 20v through the track. If you prefer a base controller then the Helmsman is highly recommended. Just future proof yourself a little with a power supply though, I thought 5amps was going to be enough some time ago, but soon found out more than that was required, especially with USAT locomotives. You will require a separate power supply for the Train Engineer, I use a computer style supply. For aux power supply consider using an ATX power supply. I'm using one out of an old pc, giving plenty of amps in 12v, 5v, and 3.3v.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brixham said:
Gizzy....G'master have a lifetime warranty on their controllers...
Just box it up, and send it off, and it comes back fixed, normally within 10 days or so. All FREE!!!

Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm.

I did ask G'master earlier this year if they had a circuit diagram to help me repair the one I have, so I'm surprised that they didn't offer to repair it then?

They did suggest changing the bridge rectifier though, which is what I would have done anyhow.

I'll make enquiries....

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I'd beware of trying to put 25v through an LGB motor for any length of time - that will wear the motor out faster than anything - 18-24v tops (if you have to). As to gaugemaster controllers, a little while back, I was warned off using these if at any time one was proposing to run DCC encoded locos using an analogue Gaugemaster controller as the syne wave produced by a gaugemaster output is not really compatible with LGB requirements. I am not an electrical whizz and you might be best to take advice from someone who is before burning out any DCC fitted locos...

G

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Well certainly not an air traffic one, wait a minnit, I misunderstood, sorry, my apologies, I'd go for the TM. If it confuses you there are a lot of guys who will talk your way out of your problems. God this 18 year old Glenfiddich is a bit powerful, eh?
[/quote]

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
hi -helmsman controllers are mustard- life time guarantee great for dc running regards Dave

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Some feedback regarding Gaugemaster;

I e-mailed them this morning following my enquiry earlier for a circuit diagram, and they have asked me to return the unit for repair,

So it seems that they do indeed honour a lifetime warranty on their controllers, as mentioned by Brixham in post #4.... :clap:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
yes helmsman are good as long as you aren't going for VERY big consists. even then when it melts they fix it...

E

Elmtree Line

CoggesRailway said:
yes helmsman are good as long as you aren't going for VERY big consists. even then when it melts they fix it...

Seen a few of them melt.... usually after several hours with double or triple headed USA Trains loco's

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I'm running analouge and I bought a 12v 30amp switch mode power supply from ebay and then bought two PWM 10 amp speed controllers for my tramway. I'm hoping that 30 amps will cope with the lighting and any special effects and I have each PWM controller set up on a lead wired into the exisiting 2 sections of the tramway. They are Knobo controllers, German made not expensive and seem to work very well got them from Jaycar. I think if I'm drawing more than 10 amps per section with maybe 2 trams in each I'm drawing tooooooo much.

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
... You either back off or buy a 1200z!
Or the BIG LGB Jumbo, ( Are they still avilable?)

I don't think the Jumbo is made any longer. I was able to pick up a used one with a bit of luck here in the States for $100 (£62). It works great with the (small) trains I've been running. Very nice for analog running.

E

Elmtree Line

Anyone bought the 30amp Helmsman unit ?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Railfan said:
55.5 said:

I don't think the Jumbo is made any longer. I was able to pick up a used one with a bit of luck here in the States for $100 (£62). It works great with the (small) trains I've been running. Very nice for analog running.

The Jumbo isn't made now, but they seem to be very sought-after and good second-hand ones seem to fetch a LOT of money - 100 USD for one was a fantastic bargain! Rails of Sheffield currently have two on eBay, both with 4+ days to run and both well over £200 already:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-GAU...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7214c88a < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...mp;hash=item1e7214c88a
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-GAU...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c6807d0b7 < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...mp;hash=item2c6807d0b7

Jon.

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Railfan said:
55.5 said:

The Jumbo isn't made now, but they seem to be very sought-after and good second-hand ones seem to fetch a LOT of money - 100 USD for one was a fantastic bargain! Rails of Sheffield currently have two on eBay, both with 4+ days to run and both well over £200 already:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-GAU...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7214c88a < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...mp;hash=item1e7214c88a
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGB-G-GAU...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c6807d0b7 < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...mp;hash=item2c6807d0b7

Jon.

Yes, it was a pretty good deal. From the same fellow I also got 600 to 700 feet of LGB track for less than $1 (£0.62) per foot!

Not too bad.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
He stole that transformer and track! I run LGB power supplies on my small line. I have both a 5007 2amp controler, but lack the 5006 power supply for it yet. I also have one of the full 1amp starter set power supplies, self contained, not the newer one with the seperate transformer. I really want a Jumbo with the teathered remote, but its been out of reach right now. According to Dave Watts, he usualy gets around 400-450 out of a used one. Would love to put MTS on my little garden line, but thats massive overkill, in fact any DCC is overkill with just one Stainz loco and only 1 or 2 more engines are planned for purchase. I would love the stopping and timed station stop features the Jumbo offers. I am supprised Marklin/LGB hasnt brought it back. Mike

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Helmsman - Geoff is a knowledgeable gentleman, always helpful.